OT - advice vs advise

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• OT - advice vs advise

I know this is not grammar class but I can't look at anymore posts that confuse advice and advise...

advice is a noun: it means "counsel" or "suggestion" = you receive advice, you provide advice, you seek advice

advise is a transitive verb: it means "give advice" = you advise someone of their rights, you advise against certain actions

So, please heed my advice so that I don't have to advise you in the future

I know this is not grammar class but I can't look at anymore posts that confuse advice and advise...

advice is a noun: it means "counsel" or "suggestion" = you receive advice, you provide advice, you seek advice

advise is a transitive verb: it means "give advice" = you advise someone of their rights, you advise against certain actions

So, please heed my advice so that I don't have to advise you in the future

Comment

Cool!!! irritated....ur post made me laugh...and ur id & symbol are great...just kidding...what if you want to advise people and they dont wanna take advice from you...i m joking only so never mind...Have a good night...Pasha

Comment

Advice 101

Come on Moondin or Mike.. I need a laugh

Comment

I've seen it happen twice today already.

"You are giving BAD advise" -- should be "advice"

"Hi people, well, I`m new at this and I kindly need some important advise" -- should be "advice"

Your friendly advisor, also known as the Advice Police.

Comment

Swiss this means you lol And the beatings & floggings will continue until this ceases!!

Comment

And again...

"Please need your advise." -- should be "advice"

Please advise me if my advice is getting irritating?

Comment

Lol!!!! thanks for your advise ...ohh sorry... forgot advice....

Comment

ok now Im getting irriated What do you think folks...

Should we get Mr. Irritated here A Vice (although Im sure he has many of these) Or... OOps I mean A Vise

talk about get a Grip

Comment

4now,

r u getting irritated? I guess u r the most chllin person on this board with good sense of humor

Pasha

Comment

Irritated:

Yes, you are absolutely correct in your advice to us. The thing is that my errors on this board are more to do with spell check, than anything else. I just don;t have it when I post, and yes, I could review what I write and correct the errors, but then I would have less time to post!

The truth is that the word "advice" (the noun) is used interchangeably in America for "advise" the transitive verb...why? I don't know - it just is. Pick up any newspaper in any town in the country and you will see it over and over again.

It of course is the same with so many words..which are misued in America, not by aliens, mind you, but by people born and educated here.... take for example the word or rather the incorrect word "irregardless"...that one really makes my blood boil!

Comment

swiss,

I'm not aware of any interchangeable use of "advice" and "advise" in America. If people are doing it, they are grammatically incorrect. It certainly is not an acceptable useage and not something I have seen in a newspaper?? Please let me know the next time you see it in print.

A lot of people on this board are not native English speakers so I don't harp on anyone for misspellings or grammar problems (you will notice that I made a special effort to not name specific offenders). However, this advice / advise thing seems like an easy fix and is a very common problem -- hence, I pointed it out.

Yes, I concur with your assessment of words like "irregardless". How about "guesstimate"? There are countless others. But, I'll get off my soapbox now and hope that a few people picked up the pointer about proper useage of advice / advise.

I will now heed my own advice and cease to advise any further.

Comment

Pash

Thanks man
                          you are pretty cool yourself ... Irregardless what anyone else says about you.(just kidding). oops I mean regardless

Comment

This appeared tonight:

"Regarding divorce, any lawyer will advice that the important date..."

I think it's a lost cause. I give up!!!

Should I jump off a cliff or cut my wrists? Please advise -- I need some advice!

Comment

4Now:

I typically do not respond to childish statements. However, I can now appreciate why other high profile members; while on vacation decide not to visit the board ... How pity and weak of mind you must really be to want to pop-off about delivering "advice" on a message board just to get a cheap laugh. Obviously you need to share some of your low grade humor / suggestions with the BCIS and see how far your s#@$ flies.

"Divorce/Waiver may be inevitable. Too bad you couldn't provoke a fight and call the police resulting in an incident report that could support an abuse situation. "

Joking or not - Can you say illegal, selfish, and darn right foolish (That's right I said it) to "advise" someone who I believe is above doing something so terrible as to send their husband to jail for an over night stay for immigration purposes. Maybe it isn't for you, but Domestic Violence is a concern not to be used as a tool for personal gain.

I would like to apologize to all of the Members and visitors who visit this site looking for sound "advice" in their situations ...

In the future, allow me to remind you to keep me out of your elementary level games in your futile attempts to provoke unnecessary arguments between USCs and Immigrates. I can only presume every alien wants to live and work legally in the US - Everyone with the exception of you.

Wishing everyone a Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year! That includes you 4Now!

[This message was edited by Mike on December 13, 2003 at 12:08 AM.]

[This message was edited by Mike on December 13, 2003 at 12:10 AM.]

Comment

Working...
                              X