Lawyers???

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lawyers???

With people with knowledge please help! I have contacted a few lawyers to see how much they charge. Their number is a little higher than I would like to spend, so I am wondering if it is worth it. I am wanting to file for the Fiance Visa. Any comment can help, so please help!
    KC

With people with knowledge please help! I have contacted a few lawyers to see how much they charge. Their number is a little higher than I would like to spend, so I am wondering if it is worth it. I am wanting to file for the Fiance Visa. Any comment can help, so please help!
    KC

Comment

It depends on where you are in the U.S. I am an attorney, so my views may be biased. Of course, you can always file the papers yourself. Forgive me for the analogy about how to decide when you need a lawyer...It's like going to a doctor. If one has a mild headache, it's probably worth just taking some asprin and not visiting the doctor. If on the other hand, one is in extreme pain and asprin is unlikely to help, then one is better of going to the doctor for their specialized expertise. To do it yourself would take investment of time on your part and if you feel it's not worth spending that amount of time then you should hire an attorney. The advantage of hiring an attorney is that they can foresee and predict any problems that may arise as things progress. I am not sure if this was of any help.

Comment

My issue is actually the money. I am currently on my final year in school, and the fees the lawyers are asking for is a lot more than I can afford. With your analogy about headaches, I am not a fan of medicine, but when a doctor tells me to do something I do. More or less what I am saying is this you are my doctor, and if you say take the medicine, I will find a way to pay for the medicine. I just want to make sure it isn't something that I can't take care of myself. Thanks again for your reply.
        KC

Comment

Hi KC, you can probably do this on your own. If you need help, you are welcome to write to me at jbrar@xmission.com or call me at (801) 269-9541.

Comment

One thing you might want to consider is writing the documents, preparing them yourself, and then making an appointment with a lawyer. Bring the documents that you have prepared with you and ask the lawyer to review the documents/forms and see if s/he has any suggestions to offer.

Not all lawyers will be willing to work this way, but a lot will.

It will be viewed as filing pro se (by yourself) by the BCIS, but you will have had expert advice and will feel better about your final product!

Comment

DO NOT HIRE AN ATTORNEY.

Comment

Check Attorney Ratings Here:

www.martindale.com

Comment

hmmm...

Comment

"Period.", can you explain why?

Comment

info@myronmorales.com

Comment

The paperwork to apply for a finace visa is quite simple to fill out.

I filled out the initial I-129F application for a friend in August of 2002 and he and his fiance just went to the consulate in her country (Mexico) for her interview on May 20, 2003 and she got her visa. They are on their way to the USA.

It takes a bit of time. Just make sure you read everything before you start filling out forms. Gather all the document needed and any translations you might need. Also, keep a record or proof of any visits or communications between you and your fiance. You may need these records later.

Comment

hire a lawyer. these papers are increadibly straight forward to fill out. We never involved a lawyer for our papers and never had any problems.

Actually while my husband went to the US consulate in his country the immigrations officer made a comment, that either we paid $10,000 for a lawyer or we did the papers our selves, because no "regular" lawyer would have prepared the papers as we as we had.

We were actully in line and the St. Paul BCIS office yesterday and the person next in line was telling us about her lawyer horror stories. Filing I-130 wth the help of a lawyer, he charged her over $3000, didn't do all the correct paper work, and it has been almost 4 years since she started the process, she also, advised us not to seek the help of a lawyer.

Good luck, please email me at zelda1978_2000@yahoo.com, I have had success filing my I 129 F with out the help of anyone. I am here to help you too

Take care and good luck

Jenny

Comment

Lawyers will try to delay the process as much as possible to get as much money as they think they will be able to get...

Comment

Working...
                            X