Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I-130

I’m a U.S citizen living overseas , I filed I-130 petition for my 3 children under 16 , I would like to ask the following
    When the Immigrant visa is approved and when I travel to the U.S
    will my children receive green cards ,

How long does it take to receive U.S Passport

Under Section 320

A child born outside of the United States automatically becomes a U.S. citizen when all of the following conditions have been met on or after February 27, 2001:​ [2] February 27, 2001 is the effective date for these CCA amendments.
    •The child has at least one parent, including an adoptive parent​ [3] If the requirements of INA 101(b)(1)(E), INA 101(b)(1)(F), or INA 101(b)(1)(G) are met.who is a U.S. citizen by birth or through naturalization;​

•The child is under 18 years of age;​

•The child is a​ lawful permanent resident (​LPR​)​;​​
    •The child is residing in the United States in the legal and physical custody of the U.S. citizen parent.​

Immediately upon entering the US with their immigrant visas, they will immediately become US permanent residents (with the immigrant visa stamped upon entry as proof of permanent residence for 1 year) and also immediately become US citizens under INA 320. If you have paid the immigrant fee, then they will receive the plastic green card after a few months, but there is no point in paying that as they are already US citizens. As US citizens, they can simply apply for US passports immediately, with proof of your US citizenship + proof of their permanent residence (which the immigrant visa stamped upon entry will suffice as) as proof of their citizenship. The processing times for a passport are here, currently 4-5 weeks for regular service and 2-3 weeks for expedited (and if you need it faster than that you can call them to apply directly at a passport agency). Note that in many places in the US, the passport acceptance facilities (post offices, etc.) are very backlogged and you must make an appointment 1-2 months in advance.

This is my personal opinion and is not to be construed as legal advice.

Comment

Sorry, you are not authorized to view this page

Home Page

Immigration Daily

Archives

Processing times

Immigration forms

Discussion board

Resources

Blogs

Twitter feed

Immigrant Nation