X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Child birth in Taiwan

Dear all,

Have a question and wondering if anybody can help. I am a US citizen and my wife (Green card holder) and I got married 3 years ago. She's currently in Taiwan right now about to give birth to our baby boy. We are registered here in the US but not in Taiwan. So the birth certificate in Taiwan will only list my wife's name under mother, but no name under father.

If my wife and I bring the baby to AIT US embassy in Taiwan to report birth abroad, will the birth certificate be an issue?

Thanks in advance for your help!

Originally posted by kc73837 View Post
    Dear all,

Have a question and wondering if anybody can help. I am a US citizen and my wife (Green card holder) and I got married 3 years ago. She's currently in Taiwan right now about to give birth to our baby boy. We are registered here in the US but not in Taiwan. So the birth certificate in Taiwan will only list my wife's name under mother, but no name under father.

If my wife and I bring the baby to AIT US embassy in Taiwan to report birth abroad, will the birth certificate be an issue?

Transmission of US citizenship is based on blood relationship, regardless of what the documents say. Your marriage certificate will show that the baby was born while you were married, and you both attest to the paternity of the child, and the conception of the baby is consistent with the times you were together, and the only reason you were not listed on the birth certificate is a bureaucratic reason, so I think there should not be much issue. If in doubt the AIT can always ask for a DNA test.

I am not familiar with the rules for listing the paternity on a birth certificate in Taiwan, but I think in general it is still preferable if you can be listed somehow.

This is my personal opinion and is not to be construed as legal advice.

Comment

many thanks newacct!

Comment

Originally posted by kc73837 View Post
        Dear all,

What you need to do is to apply for Consular Report of Birth Abroad as soon as possible after the child is born. Below is the following link:
        http://www.state.gov/documents/organization/156216.pdf

Please note, that even though the foreign birth certificate may not have your name on it, evidence of your marriage, US citizenship, and other evidence will assist you and your wife in obtaining US citizenship, and a US passport, for your child.

Good luck to you.
        "Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passion, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence." John Adams on Defense of the boston Massacre

Comment

Originally posted by Hudson View Post
          What you need to do is to apply for Consular Report of Birth Abroad as soon as possible after the child is born. Below is the following link:
          http://www.state.gov/documents/organization/156216.pdf

Please note, that even though the foreign birth certificate may not have your name on it, evidence of your marriage, US citizenship, and other evidence will assist you and your wife in obtaining US citizenship, and a US passport, for your child.

Good luck to you.
          OP, I will be running to a similar case like yours. Any issues on getting the Consular Report of Birth Abroad for your child?

Comment

Sorry, you are not authorized to view this page

Home Page

Immigration Daily

Archives

Processing times

Immigration forms

Discussion board

Resources

Blogs

Twitter feed

Immigrant Nation