Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• driving licence

Hej guys!
    I hope you will help me. You know how difficult it is here to get a driving licence. I have to walk all the time and a bus drives just once an hour. Could you tell me if for example if I had a car registered for my boss and his company I can use my international driving licence translated by brooklyn agency. it would be in English, but Motor vehicle says something abouth driving permit? What is it? it a lincence itself?

Hej guys!
    I hope you will help me. You know how difficult it is here to get a driving licence. I have to walk all the time and a bus drives just once an hour. Could you tell me if for example if I had a car registered for my boss and his company I can use my international driving licence translated by brooklyn agency. it would be in English, but Motor vehicle says something abouth driving permit? What is it? it a lincence itself?

Comment

Let me add that this is in NJ

Comment

Does anyone kow the anser for my question?

Comment

As I know here in California with your 1-94 and later go to the SS for a letter that they can give a SSnumber return to the DMV you can get a driver licence..... but every state had different regulations..

Comment

I live in Brooklyn myself, and I know for sure that you can not drive in New York with international drivers license.

Comment

What about the NJ state and cosequences I can have driving on IDL

Comment

In the state of Texas all you have to do is sign a waiver saying that you dont have a SS # adn thats it. you do have to take the exam (driven, visual, an written) but that is it.. If I were you I would call your local office there and ask them.

Comment

I used to live in NJ, oh boy they are very strict. My only doumentation from INS was my approved I-130 but they won't accept that unless you have EAD. I wasn't able to get my DL in the state of NJ. Sorry...

Comment

So what if for example I am a visitor and i want to use my international dl, what can they do to me?

Comment

You can use the international Drivers License for 3 months in any state, then you have to apply for a state license. Many people use the Intl DL for much longer than that...they only get a permit which does not require a SS#.

Comment

NJ's DMV will not issue a driver's license (or just about anything else) without a valid SSN even if you have all the correct INS papers... This is from personal experience...

Comment

Thanks guys a lot but how can I get the permit and what is it? do I have to take a test or something like that? I applied for a change of status so to the best of my knowledge I am still in status, can I get this permit then/

Comment

Greg, you can apply for a permit even if you do not have status at all (that is to say are in the U.S. illegaly) To get a permit you must only pass the written test, no road test is required. The permit (at least in the state where I live) will not have any SS# attached, it just shows that you have passed the written test and are in the process of applying for the drivers license (which does require most of the time an SS# to be issued.)

Comment

It might just apply to the state where you live right now. But we are talking about NJ.I had a first hand experience with NJ DMV. They won't give you a DL unless you have a GC or EAD with valid SSN. I only had an approved I-130 and it's not the doc. that they need so I never issued any DL at all.

Comment

Working...
                              X