Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Getting H-4 for Mom on Compassionate Grounds ?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Getting H-4 for Mom on Compassionate Grounds ?

Hi,

My father expired 2 months back in India and I am the only child.
    Mom was a home-maker. I am here in the US legally on an H1-B visa
    and my mother is here with me for the next couple of months on a Visitor's (B1/B2) visa.

With my mother not having any other source of income and being literally dependent on my income, is there any way I can get her transferred to an H-4 dependent visa ? I have heard of H-4 dependent visa for spouse but what about a parent in such a situation ? Does the visa office consider any applications on compassionate grounds ? She is my only family per se since I am single at present.

Any help/pointers in this regard would be really helpful.

Thanks
    Whiz

Hi,

My father expired 2 months back in India and I am the only child.
    Mom was a home-maker. I am here in the US legally on an H1-B visa
    and my mother is here with me for the next couple of months on a Visitor's (B1/B2) visa.

With my mother not having any other source of income and being literally dependent on my income, is there any way I can get her transferred to an H-4 dependent visa ? I have heard of H-4 dependent visa for spouse but what about a parent in such a situation ? Does the visa office consider any applications on compassionate grounds ? She is my only family per se since I am single at present.

Any help/pointers in this regard would be really helpful.

Thanks
    Whiz

Comment

no story....my parents got their tourist visa a while back so my Mom had reasons to go back till Dad was there...now he is no more and hence the change....I think I mentioned this in my initial post.

whiz

Comment

Hi whiz...
        Sorry to hear about you...I wish somebody on this board might help you...I wish you good luck...Pasha

Comment

I'm so sorry to hear about your dad.

As for your mom. I don't think H4's work for parents. Do you have family in Canada that could take care of your mom for now? Might want to contact a lawyer and see if you can extend your tourist visa or get her another visa somehow.

-= nav =-

Comment

My condolonces regarding your father!
            In regard to your mother, you probably have to obtain U.S. naturalization which may be a lengtly process for you at this time since you need to adjust to LPR first. Because of widespread SSN abuse in previous yrs., even as an LPR you can't sponsor your parents these days. Good luck!

Comment

Thanks for all the responses. Do you guys think it would make any sense for me to approach INS directly and plead my case ?

Please let me know

Whiz

Comment

Working...
              X