Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Worked under F-1 with CPT, but got 1099-MISC. Is this ok?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Worked under F-1 with CPT, but got 1099-MISC. Is this ok?

Hi,I’m an international student under F-1 visa. Last summer, I interned under CPT which was allowed by my school with taking the internship class. (June–July 2014) However, I received 1099-MISC today and it seemed I was treated as an independent contractor instead of under W-2.

I’m very confused, because some say it’s ok, but some say working as an independent contractor under CPT is violating my F-1 status and it will be a problem when I apply for H-1B in the future.

Is is being any trouble?—if so, what should I do to get out of this?

Thanks for taking your time,

Originally posted by Ein85 View Post
    Hi,I’m an international student under F-1 visa. Last summer, I interned under CPT which was allowed by my school with taking the internship class. (June–July 2014) However, I received 1099-MISC today and it seemed I was treated as an independent contractor instead of under W-2.

I’m very confused, because some say it’s ok, but some say working as an independent contractor under CPT is violating my F-1 status and it will be a problem when I apply for H-1B in the future.

Is is being any trouble?—if so, what should I do to get out of this?

Thanks for taking your time,
    Technically, this should not have an effect on your H-1B. Chances are, they classified you as a 1099 Contractor because it’s easier and cheaper. You can try to go back to them to change your classification to W-2 employee, but then you may need to return some funds to the employer as they didn’t do all the proper withholding. You are allowed to be a 1099 contractor for regular OPT, and it may be the same for CPT. You might want to seek the advice of an immigration attorney if you want to be sure.

Comment

Working...
    X