out of state student?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• out of state student?

I will be graduating from high school next year and I just found out that probably cannot go to college due to my immigration status.
    I was brought here by my parents at the age of 6 on a visitor visa.The next day my parents applied for political asylum and since then (12 years)they were never called in to INS, except for the original interview.
    I don't know what my status really is, the lawyer told us that we are not illegal.

But what will be my status when I will be applying for college next year? I am a straight A student and I have to go to college.
    Someone told me that I will be charged out-of state tuition which my parents of course cannot afford, and that I will not be eligible for any loans.Is this the law or is the college's decision?
    Please advise if you have any idea.Thank you!

I will be graduating from high school next year and I just found out that probably cannot go to college due to my immigration status.
    I was brought here by my parents at the age of 6 on a visitor visa.The next day my parents applied for political asylum and since then (12 years)they were never called in to INS, except for the original interview.
    I don't know what my status really is, the lawyer told us that we are not illegal.

But what will be my status when I will be applying for college next year? I am a straight A student and I have to go to college.
    Someone told me that I will be charged out-of state tuition which my parents of course cannot afford, and that I will not be eligible for any loans.Is this the law or is the college's decision?
    Please advise if you have any idea.Thank you!

Comment

I remember hearing that if you were illegal upto 18 yrs old you can go and change your status within a certain period of time so that you can become legal.

Please double check with a lawyer on this, but I definately have heard of this.

You may have to take a year off from school, but you do not have to be deported.

Comment

I have heard of somethng similar to this that said if you were a minor when you arrived and have been here for over 5 or 8 years you are eligible to get a GC.Not sure on the details,consult a lawyer or get in touch with a refuge centre in your state.

Comment

have patience.
          meanwhile, go live in NYC, they have in-state tuition for undocumented immigrants

Comment

Working...
          X