Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Am I a Citizen?

Hello all, I need your help:

I am a native born Chilean, but my parents immigranted (legally and employed) to the US in the late 80s. My father and mother are naturalized US citizens and did so way before I was 13 years of age. I have an American Passport and am now going back to Chile to work (I was offered employment abroad). I will be out of the country for more than 6 months. I understand LPRs need to let the government know? or may lose their status?

Am I a citizen? or an LPR still? Do I need to file the N-400 even if I have a US Passport?

Any advice would be tremendously helpful!

Hello all, I need your help:

I am a native born Chilean, but my parents immigranted (legally and employed) to the US in the late 80s. My father and mother are naturalized US citizens and did so way before I was 13 years of age. I have an American Passport and am now going back to Chile to work (I was offered employment abroad). I will be out of the country for more than 6 months. I understand LPRs need to let the government know? or may lose their status?

Am I a citizen? or an LPR still? Do I need to file the N-400 even if I have a US Passport?

Any advice would be tremendously helpful!

Comment

You are a U.S. Citizen- assuming your parents were together and you lived with them, you became a citizen upon the naturalization of both your parents. The U.S. passport evidences that fact. As a US Citizen, you can stay out of the country for as long as you want.

What I do suggest is that you apply for the N-600- it's the application for a certificate of citizenship. It will serve as solid proof of your citizenship.

Comment

Thank you for your response Mrs. Mani. I was told filing a N-400 would be easier as it takes shorter time. I know the N-600 is taking about 2 years to process.

I just wanted to make sure I can travel abroad for as long as I want without losing my status (even if I travel with my US Passport.)

Thanks again!

Comment

You should be able to travel with your US Passport and won't lose citizenship because you have traveled abraod.

I have not heard that N-600 is taking 2 years. Also, with N-400, you run the risk of getting a denial because you already are a citizen and they will inform you to file the N-600. You won't get your filing fees back.

Comment

Mrs. Mani is right. File N-600. It is taking over a year but less than 2 years.

Comment

Thank Tak and Mrs. Mani.

I spoje to a USCIS officer this morning who told me I was indeed a US Citizen and should have no problem travelling, but may get asked for my greencard when I get back to the US which I need find- its somewhere laying around in my house :/

I will file N-600 and hope all goes well.

Thanks again,

Andrea

Comment

Hi Andy and welcome,

I don't know why the USCIS agent told you to carry your green card since your are a citizen who carries a US passport. Anyway, just wanted to welcome you and wish you a safe trip.

Comment

Ditto Proud.

However, you= will need a copy of your GC for the N-600 application.

Comment

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Mrs. Mani:
                    Ditto Proud.

However, you= will need a copy of your GC for the N-600 application. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Agreed. Since he was the kid, I don't know why his parents didn't wrap this up for him when they were naturalising. I guess my kids have it too good - lol!!

Comment

The USCIS rep. who told you to use GC while travelling is totally wrong. You can not use GC with US Passport.

Comment

I'm a bit mystified how he could have both a US passport AND a GC at the same time. They should have taken the GC off him when he naturalized.
                        "What you see in the photograph isn't what you saw at the time. The real skill of photography is organized visual lying."

Comment

If kid is under 14, they normally mail the Certificate of Citizenship against N-600 and do not get back the GCs.

Comment

Brit- that's the thing- he didn't naturalize. His parents did, making him a citizen automatically. They simply applied for his US passport instead of filing the N600 and getting him his own certificate of citizenship.

Comment

Hey all,

Thank you for the feedback. I will explain my situation again:

My dad naturalized way before I turned 14. I was about 9 or 10 when he did so. My mom is a Permanent Resident.

I have a US passport which Ive used always. I am now travelling outside the US for longer than 6 months and was wondering if this was going to be an issue. I have a GC and have a US Passport. I also have a Chilean Passport as I have dual citizenship.

I was just confused as to whether I was going to have trouble coming back in to the US after a year or so. Would my A number come up on the system and show me as a LPR instead of a Citizen...

I am in the process of filing the N600. I have no idea where my GC is. Never used it for anything. I need a copy of it so I am filing a FOIA to request it.

Thanks for your replies,

Andrea (im a girl)

Comment

Working...
                              X