Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

H4 vs. B2, work while being in the US, and ... where to get married. Help!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• H4 vs. B2, work while being in the US, and ... where to get married. Help!

Hi everyone,

I am so overwhelmed and really need your help.

Ive been offered a job in the US and will receive a H1B visa for it. So far, I havent accepted the position.

My girlfriend and I are from two different visa waiver countries, we are not married, but we are thinking about it.

If we get married, where and when would it be best to do so? In her country? In mine? In the US? Should we get married before I get my H1B or after and does it matter at all?

My girlfriend is selfemployed in her home country and works over the internet for clients outside the US. She has her own little one-person company and all of her revenues go to her bank account in her home country. Would she be allowed to continue working under her firm while being in the US on a H4? If not, would she be allowed to continue working under her firm if we do not get married and if she comes with me on a B2 visa (as a "cohabiting partner")? In each scenario, where would she have to pay taxes?

Thank you so much for your help!

Originally posted by anti View Post
    Hi everyone,

I am so overwhelmed and really need your help.

Ive been offered a job in the US and will receive a H1B visa for it. So far, I havent accepted the position.

My girlfriend and I are from two different visa waiver countries, we are not married, but we are thinking about it.

If we get married, where and when would it be best to do so? In her country? In mine? In the US? Should we get married before I get my H1B or after and does it matter at all?

My girlfriend is selfemployed in her home country and works over the internet for clients outside the US. She has her own little one-person company and all of her revenues go to her bank account in her home country. Would she be allowed to continue working under her firm while being in the US on a H4? If not, would she be allowed to continue working under her firm if we do not get married and if she comes with me on a B2 visa (as a "cohabiting partner")? In each scenario, where would she have to pay taxes?

Thank you so much for your help!

It doesn’t matter where you get married as long as the marriage is legal.

The question you ask about work is tricky and it depends on who you ask. The conservative answer is that even though your gf’s revenues are going to a foreign bank account, she is technically conducting work on U.S. soil- meaning she is working, which is not currently allowed on H-4 or B-2.

Comment

Thank you very much!

Comment

Working...
      X