Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Question on Non Citizens voting, political involvement ect.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Question on Non Citizens voting, political involvement ect.

I am a ironworker and as part of my employment joined the union at my shop. My chief steward is a permanent resident ( not a citizen ). We recently had a union meeting followed by a family picnic. My wife ( who is a permanent resident as well, citizenship application in process ) started talking to the chief steward and tells him that she didn't think it was legal for him to be a union steward because of the political involvement, also that he could not vote on anything, because you must be a citizen to vote. He told her he does not know anything about that law and will continue with his stewardship / voting on work related union issues.

Now, what's the law in this case.
    Is it not true that non citizens can not vote, any type / kind of vote at all not just presidential, but state wide and local as well ?
    Also, can you volunteer for a union, political action team or even be employed by such party ?
    I know the stewards in my unit get reimbursed for their union dues at the end of each year, is that considered payment from political funds ?

I am a ironworker and as part of my employment joined the union at my shop. My chief steward is a permanent resident ( not a citizen ). We recently had a union meeting followed by a family picnic. My wife ( who is a permanent resident as well, citizenship application in process ) started talking to the chief steward and tells him that she didn't think it was legal for him to be a union steward because of the political involvement, also that he could not vote on anything, because you must be a citizen to vote. He told her he does not know anything about that law and will continue with his stewardship / voting on work related union issues.

Now, what's the law in this case.
    Is it not true that non citizens can not vote, any type / kind of vote at all not just presidential, but state wide and local as well ?
    Also, can you volunteer for a union, political action team or even be employed by such party ?
    I know the stewards in my unit get reimbursed for their union dues at the end of each year, is that considered payment from political funds ?

Comment

Not quite true davdah:

One of the most important privileges of democracy in the United States of America is the right to participate in choosing elected officials through voting. As a Permanent Resident you can only vote in local and state elections that do not require you to be a US citizen. It is very important that you do not vote in national, state or local elections that require a voter to be a US citizen when you are not a US citizen. There are criminal penalties for voting when you are not a US citizen and it is a requirement for voting. You can be removed (deported) from the US if you vote in elections limited to US citizens.

USCIS - Now you are a PR

Also a PR can contribute financially to political funds:

Benefits of a Green Card
      "What you see in the photograph isn't what you saw at the time. The real skill of photography is organized visual lying."

Comment

Working...
      X