Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Conditional Resident to Permanent

Hi everybody:

Is it correct that you become a permanent resident two years after you receive your conditional resident status and NOT two years after your marriage to the American Citizen? We will have our interview in January next year, three months short of our two-year-anniversery. Do I understand it correctly that had the interview been held AFTER our two-year-anniversary I would be given a permanent resident status immediately after the interview but as the interview is three months before our two-year-anniversary we will have to wait another year since that extra year will mark the two-year-anniversary of my conditional status. (Hope I haven't lost you yet).

Also, do I have to be a permanent resident in order to be eligible for a federal job?

Thanks,
    Sofia

Hi everybody:

Is it correct that you become a permanent resident two years after you receive your conditional resident status and NOT two years after your marriage to the American Citizen? We will have our interview in January next year, three months short of our two-year-anniversery. Do I understand it correctly that had the interview been held AFTER our two-year-anniversary I would be given a permanent resident status immediately after the interview but as the interview is three months before our two-year-anniversary we will have to wait another year since that extra year will mark the two-year-anniversary of my conditional status. (Hope I haven't lost you yet).

Also, do I have to be a permanent resident in order to be eligible for a federal job?

Thanks,
    Sofia

Comment

If you have been married for 2 years or more than 2 years At the time of your first interview then you get your 10 years green card ....if you have been married less than 2 years ( even a single day)at the day of your interview then you get your 2 years green card which is known as conditional green card.

Comment

By having this interview before your two year anniversary, It will add years to the time it takes to get your conditions removed. Depending on where you live, it could easily take 4 yrs after the date of your interview to get your conditions removed. I was married in July 1999, had our interview Oct 2000, petition to remove conditions can now be filed between now and Oct 2002 (in my case), VSC will not process that application until sometime near May 2003, and they say it will take another 360 days after that date so that makes it what... May 2004.

So my timeline is expected to be from July 1999 to May 2004 or almost 5 years... Now if my initial interview had been held after July 2001 (delayed by another 9 months), I would have had my permanent GC over a year ago. So this interview before your 2nd anniversary is likely to add 3 more years to your wait. That is just the way the INS works...

Comment

Thanks for your replies. Do you or someone else know if I'm allowed to take a federal job when I become a conditional resident?

Thanks
          Sofia

Comment

I believe some federal jobs require that you be a US citizen. At least the ones I have inquired about.

Comment

ARQ

Can't you apply for US citizenship after three years of marriage?

Also, as far as US Gov't jobs, GC or USC needed depends on the job.

Comment

After 3 years of having your green card.

Comment

Even if you apply for citizenship before your I-751 is finished, they may approve the N-400 but then put it on hold until the I-751 is approved. In other words, you can be approved for citizenship before you are approved for permanent residency. They just don't grant the citizenship until the conditional residency status is removed.

Comment

Due to heavy backlogs, millions of immirants married to USC's (including myself) were issued their green cards several years after their marriage. How can we determine if the green card issued is conditional or not? Would it be clearly written anywhere on the green card?

Comment

If you get a 2 year green card, it's conditional, if you get a 10 year one it's not.

Comment

from the opm web page

Executive Order 11935 on the Competitive Civil Service
                        Under Executive Order 11935, only United States citizens and nationals (residents of American Samoa and Swains Island) may compete for competitive jobs. Agencies are permitted to hire noncitizens only when there are no qualified citizens available. A noncitizen hired in the absence of qualified citizens may only be given an excepted appointment, and does not acquire competitive civil service status. He or she may not be promoted or reassigned to another position in the competitive service, except in situations where a qualified citizen is not available. The noncitizen may be hired only if permitted by the appropriations act and the immigration law.

Comment

hi
                          ARQU I just filed my i-751 in July 2002 to VSC, I am in VA, can you tell me when to expect approval and how did u you figure the time out thank you. ?

Comment

VSC has at least a 6 month backlog for the I-751. Then they have a 360 day processing time 'posted' for these forms that makes the aproximate duration after filing your I-751 about 18 months or so... So perhaps sometime in 2004...

Comment

Working...
                            X