Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Just when do we need to file an Affadvit of Support for a brother we would sponsor?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Just when do we need to file an Affadvit of Support for a brother we would sponsor?

As recently naturalized citizens we are looking at sponsoring my brother in law for a green card.
    However we have some concerns about his ability to support himself.
    We want to give him the best chance to prove himself but don't want to take the risk of him being out of work and racking up huge debt (like emergency medical bills) that we would be responsible for.

So the questions we would like advice on is this.
    If we start the paperwork now (I130 ) would we also submit a I485 or will that have to wait until the I130 gets processed?
    How long might it be between starting this process and needing to submit the Afadvit of Support.

Thanks
    Alan

Once the I-130 is approved, it will be another 10 years, at least, before your brother-in-law (who I’m assuming is your wife’s brother) can file for Adjustment of Status or when you’ll need to submit an Affidavit of Support. The wait time for siblings of U.S. citizens to get a green card is about 10 years. Is he here in the states? If he’s here, he has to maintain lawful status until then. If he’s abroad, he has to wait 10 years before the government (NVC) will do the next steps in the case.

Comment

Working...
    X