Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Upgrade Status from F2B to F1

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Upgrade Status from F2B to F1

    My father got US citizenship last week. Before that, I was the unmarried daughter (above 21) of a PR. Now, I am the unmarried daughter of a US citizen though my father has not upgraded my status yet. My priority date is October, 2000. I know that if my father upgrades my status from F2B to F1, my priority date will become 'current'. But what will happen if the following factors occur?

    1. If I get married now, can my father upgrade (downgrade?) my status from to F2B to F3? It has to be noted that my father has not yet updated my status to F1. Will it hamper my priority date?

    2. Should I wait to get married till my status is upgraded to F1?

    Please help me on the above issues.

    Thanks,
    Swarna

  • #2
    My father got US citizenship last week. Before that, I was the unmarried daughter (above 21) of a PR. Now, I am the unmarried daughter of a US citizen though my father has not upgraded my status yet. My priority date is October, 2000. I know that if my father upgrades my status from F2B to F1, my priority date will become 'current'. But what will happen if the following factors occur?

    1. If I get married now, can my father upgrade (downgrade?) my status from to F2B to F3? It has to be noted that my father has not yet updated my status to F1. Will it hamper my priority date?

    2. Should I wait to get married till my status is upgraded to F1?

    Please help me on the above issues.

    Thanks,
    Swarna

    Comment


    • #3
      <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Swarna 2005:
      My father got US citizenship last week. Before that, I was the unmarried daughter (above 21) of a PR. Now, I am the unmarried daughter of a US citizen though my father has not upgraded my status yet. My priority date is October, 2000. I know that if my father upgrades my status from F2B to F1, my priority date will become 'current'. But what will happen if the following factors occur?

      You're correct, provided you're not from Mexico or Philippines.

      1. If I get married now, can my father upgrade (downgrade?) my status from to F2B to F3? It has to be noted that my father has not yet updated my status to F1. Will it hamper my priority date?

      Yes, definitely, (based on July'07 visa bulletin by at least a year, maybe two) or even longer if you're from either of the two countries mentioned above.

      2. Should I wait to get married till my status is upgraded to F1?

      Get married once you secured your immigrant visa. Well, that's life, it's very seldom that one can have the best of both worlds.

      Please help me on the above issues.

      Thanks,
      Swarna </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

      Comment


      • #4
        Rough neighbor,
        Thanks for responding to a question from this decade!
        Geez!

        Comment


        • #5
          Rough neighbor,
          Thanks for your reply. But if I get married after my immigration visa, it will take more than 5 years to take my husband to USA. If I get married now, it will take only one year (may be one and half years) to go there. Waiting one year is better than 5 years. In this situation, can my father upgrade my status from F2B to F3 directly? Or, he has to upgrade my status to F1 first and then to F3?
          Will I loose my priority date and my father has to apply for me again?

          I am from Bangladesh. So the two countries limitation is not applicable for me.

          Thank you again for your response.

          Regards,
          Swarna

          Comment


          • #6
            <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Swarna 2005:
            But if I get married after my immigration visa, it will take more than 5 years to take my husband to USA. If I get married now, it will take only one year (may be one and half years) to go there. Waiting one year is better than 5 years. In this situation, can my father upgrade my status from F2B to F3 directly? Or, he has to upgrade my status to F1 first and then to F3?
            Will I loose my priority date and my father has to apply for me again? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

            You have a good understanding of your situation.

            You don't lose the priority date no matter how you upgrade or "downgrade".

            PRs can't petition for married son/daughter. So, my best idea is:
            1. father becomes USC
            2. you get merried
            3. father informs USCIS about changes in his (USC) and your (married)status

            What makes you think it has to go F2B-&gt;F1-&gt;F3?

            edit: oh..I see you father already is USC.

            Comment


            • #7
              <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Swarna 2005:
              Rough neighbor,
              Thanks for your reply. But if I get married after my immigration visa, it will take more than 5 years to take my husband to USA. If I get married now, it will take only one year (may be one and half years) to go there. Waiting one year is better than 5 years. In this situation, can my father upgrade my status from F2B to F3 directly? Or, he has to upgrade my status to F1 first and then to F3?
              Will I loose my priority date and my father has to apply for me again?

              I am from Bangladesh. So the two countries limitation is not applicable for me.

              Thank you again for your response.

              Regards,
              Swarna </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

              The choice is yours between F1 (unmarried) and F3 (married) child of a USC. That's what I meant by the phrase "the best of both worlds," you cannot enjoy an F1 priority date and marrying the love of your life.

              Comment


              • #8
                <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by NeedHelpFast:
                Rough neighbor,
                Thanks for responding to a question from this decade!
                Geez!
                </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

                meaning???

                Comment


                • #9
                  <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Rough Neighbor:
                  <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by NeedHelpFast:
                  Rough neighbor,
                  Thanks for responding to a question from this decade!
                  Geez!
                  </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

                  meaning??? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>


                  In reference to rhe million responses from questions from 1962!! lol

                  Not a dig at you, I was really thanking you for responding to a more recent post!

                  The "geez" was for some "Person" wasting everyones time...

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Oh ok, you're welcome. My first impression was that your comment was sarcastic. Sorry, my mistake. One member recklessly accused "me" that "I" was responding to stale posts, he even called me "jabroni." He missed the fact that I was on the heels of a poster who was running amuck by resurrecting long dead cases.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Me, never sarcastic...not!!
                      (Probably my worst quality).

                      I would never be sarcastic with you though, you were the very first person who helped me on this board!! I'll never forget it!

                      Much respect Rough neighbor, you know our immigration laws well! NHF

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Thanks a lot to all of you. Now I am tension free and can get married to my loved one. Please pray for me.

                        Thanks you again for your response.

                        Have a nice time,
                        Swarna

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          I need one more help. Please let me know how my father can upgrade my status from F2B to F3. Is there any particular form to apply? What are the additional papers that my father has to send to USCIS in supporting to his application?

                          Have a nice time,
                          Swarna

                          Comment



                          Working...
                          X