Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I am a green card holder ..how long should i wait for citizenship?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I am a green card holder ..how long should i wait for citizenship?

I got my green card on 2004. How soon can i apply for citizenships? i called the uscis hotline they said 6 months prior my fifth year. but i hear the rumor that we can apply after the third year. Is that true? Is there any other alternative to speed up my citizenship? how long does it take to get approved? Is it wise if i sponsor my wife (just married her) now or should i wait when i became an american citizen to sponsor her? I heard its faster to sponsor your wife if you are a citizen. Also i got my green card from political asylum, is it true that we can't go back to our homeland forever??? Please i need help. Thank you.

I got my green card on 2004. How soon can i apply for citizenships? i called the uscis hotline they said 6 months prior my fifth year. but i hear the rumor that we can apply after the third year. Is that true? Is there any other alternative to speed up my citizenship? how long does it take to get approved? Is it wise if i sponsor my wife (just married her) now or should i wait when i became an american citizen to sponsor her? I heard its faster to sponsor your wife if you are a citizen. Also i got my green card from political asylum, is it true that we can't go back to our homeland forever??? Please i need help. Thank you.

Comment

Hi Alphamale , Welcome to ILW

I maybe wrong but I think it is only married based LPR's that can get citizenship after 3 yrs from receipt of the green card. Unless of course they divorce in that time frame then it gets pushed back to 5 yrs.

Most everyone else is 5 yrs from receipt.

I think it would be easier to sponsor your wife when you are a USC yes.

Here is the USCIS information on how to become one and who can apply.

http://www.uscis.gov/files/article/B3.pdf

Regarding the other questions, I am sure someone will come along soon to help you with those
      -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
      God Bless America - God Bless Immigrants - God Bless Poor Misguided Souls Too

National Domestic Violence Hotline:
      1.800.799.SAFE (7233) 1.800.787.

Comment

How soon can i apply for citizenships?

5 years minus 90 days

I heard its faster to sponsor your wife if you are a citizen.

If you marry a USC.

Is there any other alternative to speed up my citizenship?

Presidential decree, maybe by joining the military, not sure

how long does it take to get approved?

18 months or so.

Is it wise if i sponsor my wife (just married her) now or should i wait when i became an american citizen to sponsor her?

Now

I heard its faster to sponsor your wife if you are a citizen.

True

Also i got my green card from political asylum, is it true that we can't go back to our homeland forever???

Sure, there is a form to abandon your Permanent Residency, forget the name, its on the USCIS web site.

Comment

Alphamale, here is a good link to read up on how to file for you wife...

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/in...m&page=compare

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/in...age=i130guide2
          -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
          God Bless America - God Bless Immigrants - God Bless Poor Misguided Souls Too

National Domestic Violence Hotline:
          1.800.799.SAFE (7233) 1.800.787.

Comment

If you're married to a USC, I believe it's 3 years after receiving your green card. I can't remember offhand whether that 3 years begins once you have a permanent green card, or once you have the conditional green card.

Other than that, it's 5 years.

It is faster to sponsor your wife if you're a citizen, however I'd start the paperwork now if I were you. You can upgrade your application from a green card holder to a citizen after you've applied. They'll already have the paperwork in the system, so it may well speed it up when the time comes.
            The whole of life is but a moment of time. It is our duty, therefore to use it, not to misuse it - Plutarch

Comment

Working...
            X