tourist visa to student visa

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• tourist visa to student visa

hi.i am currently active on tourist visa.i've been here is USA for 3months already. My husband is Greencard soon to be Citizen maybe next year.I was granted 10 years entry and 6 months stay for coming here. Now, i want to study while in USA. Is it hard to apply for student visa? if Im approved with student visa, what will happen to my 10 years entry(tourist visa)? Another option for me is to apply for visa extension, if I am granted the extension, what will happen to my 10years entry? can I still go back in USA using the multiple visa?please help me I am really confused what to do now.thank you so much!!!!!

hi.i am currently active on tourist visa.i've been here is USA for 3months already. My husband is Greencard soon to be Citizen maybe next year.I was granted 10 years entry and 6 months stay for coming here. Now, i want to study while in USA. Is it hard to apply for student visa? if Im approved with student visa, what will happen to my 10 years entry(tourist visa)? Another option for me is to apply for visa extension, if I am granted the extension, what will happen to my 10years entry? can I still go back in USA using the multiple visa?please help me I am really confused what to do now.thank you so much!!!!!

Comment

Hi Mockring and welcome to the forum,

I'm sure someone will come along with some advice shortly. Best of luck to you & your hubby!

Comment

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">hi.i am currently active on tourist visa.i've been here is USA for 3months already. My husband is Greencard soon to be Citizen maybe next year.I was granted 10 years entry and 6 months stay for coming here. Now, i want to study while in USA. Is it hard to apply for student visa? if Im approved with student visa, what will happen to my 10 years entry(tourist visa)? Another option for me is to apply for visa extension, if I am granted the extension, what will happen to my 10years entry? can I still go back in USA using the multiple visa?please help me I am really confused what to do now.thank you so much!!!!! </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Hi Mockring Welcome to ILW!

You have a 10 yrs multiple entry tourist visa.
        If you apply for an extension of stay since they already granted you 6 months, you have to come up of a valid reason why you're extending your stay or else they will deny your application. Applying for extension even it got denied won't cancel your multiple entry visa.

Your best option is to wait til your husband become a citizen then file the application for an immigrant visa!

Comment

thank you speed for a nice idea.but what if my request for extension or student visa is approve? can i still have a valid multiple entry tourist visa which i can use to come back to USA in the later years? thank you so much.

Comment

It is my understanding that applications to change from tourist status (B-1) to student status (F-1) are routinely denied...unless you advised either the U.S. Consulate or the Customes and Border Protection officer (at the port of entry) of your intentions before being admitted to America.

Your position is further complicated by the fact that you clearly have immigrant intent...a desire to remain in the country with your permanent resident spouse.

I agree with Speed_025's advice: wait until your spouse achieves American citizenship and apply to immigrate that way. Any other avenue looks suspiciously like a means to simply circumvent the intent, if not the actual letter of, the rules.

One last point: given that your husband is a permanent resident, and your evident immigrant intent, it's unlikely that you will obtain an extension to your period of authorized stay. It would also make any future application for immigration benefits proceed a lot more smoothly if you adhere to the terms of your current visa status.

Comment

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by mockring:
              hi.i am currently active on tourist visa.i've been here is USA for 3months already. My husband is Greencard soon to be Citizen maybe next year.I was granted 10 years entry and 6 months stay for coming here. Now, i want to study while in USA. Is it hard to apply for student visa? if Im approved with student visa, what will happen to my 10 years entry(tourist visa)? Another option for me is to apply for visa extension, if I am granted the extension, what will happen to my 10years entry? can I still go back in USA using the multiple visa?please help me I am really confused what to do now.thank you so much!!!!! </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
              The biggest problem about applying for the student visa is your husband becoming a USC and therefore eligible for adjustment of status for you. I would concur with Speed that waiting is the best option. The other problm is you may have to take the TOEFL if you are not from an exempt country as well as the timeframe for applying has passed. Finally, depending on how long your husband's application for Citizenship takes would also depend on whether you want to come as a student or not.
              "Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passion, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence." John Adams on Defense of the boston Massacre

Comment

The ONLY way U can study in the U.S. is having a student visa.And even if u are approved for a student visa U MUST go back home to file the proper paperwork at your howncountry's embassy.

Its hard to get a student visa anyways...must so lots of financial responsibilities,meaning $$$$$$

here is my question,if u are married to your husband and he is about to be a us citizen,then why dont u wait till he is a citizen and file for the proper paperwork to become a resident of the US???

and do not confuse your 10 year visa.10 year means u have a visa for 10years, but you can only stay in the US for either 3 or 6 months.

Comment

I am betting that the OP lied to our embassy about her GC husband, also lying when she said she had some 'great job' to return to ...but here she is, 3 months later (nobody gets a 3 month paid vacation) and now "suddenly" has decided she wants to study..how convenient....nothing but lies...and she will no doubt lie to our immigration authorities if she tries a change of status by "forgetting" to mention her GC spouse...we don't want liars in the United States of America

Comment

You should consult with a competent immigration attorney before you do anything.

Comment

Working...
                    X