To DCF or not to DCF?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• To DCF or not to DCF?

I will be getting married in 3 months after my divorce is final. I'm the USC. My fiance is in East Africa and we have a 2 month old son. I read on the consulate website that i can qualify to DCF if i stay in the country for atleast six months. Because of the child, i'm planning on staying in East Africa until my fiance and our son have secured Visas.

Is this a good idea or should i come back here and file a K3? The K1 is out of the question because it takes too long. I'm choosing the DCF route because we no longer want to be separated.

The reason why i'm having second thoughts is because i have not been able to get in touch with the consulate in order to get detailed info on DCF. The consulate is in Kenya. Anyone who has had experience with this consulate, i would appreciate your input.

[This message was edited by Remi on February 09, 2004 at 08:33 PM.]

[This message was edited by Remi on February 09, 2004 at 08:34 PM.]

I will be getting married in 3 months after my divorce is final. I'm the USC. My fiance is in East Africa and we have a 2 month old son. I read on the consulate website that i can qualify to DCF if i stay in the country for atleast six months. Because of the child, i'm planning on staying in East Africa until my fiance and our son have secured Visas.

Is this a good idea or should i come back here and file a K3? The K1 is out of the question because it takes too long. I'm choosing the DCF route because we no longer want to be separated.

The reason why i'm having second thoughts is because i have not been able to get in touch with the consulate in order to get detailed info on DCF. The consulate is in Kenya. Anyone who has had experience with this consulate, i would appreciate your input.

[This message was edited by Remi on February 09, 2004 at 08:33 PM.]

[This message was edited by Remi on February 09, 2004 at 08:34 PM.]

Comment

Hi Remi,

No experience with US Consulate in Kenya but DCF is probably the best option if u qualify for that.... I did the same thing...Good luck...Pasha

Comment

Kenyan consulate is very efficient, I hear.

Comment

why dont you try to contact bureau of consular affairs in washington dc to find out if they do dcf in kenya ? some countries will waive the 6 month residency requirement, but if its available there its far quicker than K3 ..

Comment

Good Idea Julie, do you have there contact information?

Comment

Bureau of Consular Affairs info for both USA & Kenya:

http://usembassy.state.gov/nairobi/

http://travel.state.gov/aboutca.html

Comment

Hi Remi,

US Consulate in Kenya doesn't allow DCF for non resident visitor US Citizen ... (http://www.usaimmigrationattorney.co...countries.html) this link has lot of info ....

Contact info for US Consulate in Kenya:-

Phone:- (254) 2 3753706

E mail: - consularnairob@state.gov

Source: - http://nairobi.usembassy.gov/

Other useful site is http://www.visajourney.com/forums/in...pg=compare#dcf

Wish u all the best...Pasha

Comment

Pasha I understand they don't allow DCF for non-residents. My question was, is it a good idea to stay there for 6 months in order to qualify as a resident??

Comment

hi remi ... if u will read all info on those website its written there ... some US Consulate dont allow in that case ... so plz contact them in Kenya through e mail and phone i gave you... i wish you all the best and everything works out for you.... Good luck...Pasha

Comment

PASHA, THIS IS WHAT I GOT FROM THE WEBSITE YOU PROVIDED THANKS. I HOPE THE PROCESS HAS NOT CHANGED.

All immigrant visas, except Diversity Visas, require that a petition be filed on your behalf with the Immigration and Naturalization Service (INS). The steps in the Immigrant Visa process generally go as follows:

1) A relative or organization in the U.S. files a petition (I-130, I-140, or I-600) on your behalf with the INS office closest to them."""""""""""""""""""""""""""" A relative may file a petition with INS Nairobi if they have been resident in Kenya for at least 6 months.""""""""""""""""""""""""
                      2) When INS approves the petition, they send it to the National Visa Center (NVC). If visas are currently available for your type of petition, NVC will immediately contact you to start gathering your documents. If your petition is NOT current, NVC will contact you when it becomes current, which could be several years later.

3) When NVC determines that you are documentarily qualified, they forward your entire file to the Immigrant Visa section in Nairobi and send you a letter notifying you of your appointment date and time.

4) A consular officer interviews you on the day of your appointment and that officer determines your eligibility for the visa. You will either be issued the visa or given an explanation of why you are ineligible for the visa. Usually, overcoming an ineligibility simply involves bringing in more documents. However, some more serious ineligibilities require a waiver from INS, which takes additional time and documentation.

Comment

Good luck Remi ...

I m glad u got the answer ...so u got to stay there for 6 months and u r set to go with this option .... If u want anything else to ask regarding DCF I can try to explain you coz I did the same thing DCF by myself without any lawyer's help .... Good luck... Pasha

Comment

Working...
                        X