Police abuse?!?!?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Police abuse?!?!?

Here is the situation....my uncle has a NY Driver Licence, he got pulled over by Cops in Long Island he was talking on the cell phone, he's DL says "Temporary Visitor until June 2004" he was arguing with the Cop, and he took his DL and asking for a paper(recently dated) from USCIS stating that his docs are pending. Is this legit?! And also has anybody any sugestions?!?!?!?

Here is the situation....my uncle has a NY Driver Licence, he got pulled over by Cops in Long Island he was talking on the cell phone, he's DL says "Temporary Visitor until June 2004" he was arguing with the Cop, and he took his DL and asking for a paper(recently dated) from USCIS stating that his docs are pending. Is this legit?! And also has anybody any sugestions?!?!?!?

Comment

Can anybody give me any suggestions, or any advice, I would really appreciate.!!!!

Comment

so is your uncle illegal or not? It's not the cop's fault if he is....sounds like your uncle skipped out on his tourist visa....what a wonderful person he must be...badda bing

Comment

Long Island has the best cops in the World ! Your Uncle is headed for deportation !

Comment

Someone12 he is not illegal, he is under a work sponsorship I don't know exactley with Department of a Labor, but you know the timelines for USCIS it takes a long time until they process documents, as far as I know he has not received the Employment as of yet.

Comment

But going back to the question, was he allowed to take his DL?!

Comment

Ramalotti

The cop has a right to demand a DL since he was in violation of the NY State law. Use of mobile phone while driving has been outlawed in NY for some time now. At least, he should know that one. Also, arguing with a cop is a BIG NO NO!!!. From personal exp, I had a cop pull me over on the NJ turnpike claiming I was going over the speed limit. In truth, I was going at 120mph in a 65mph zone. With a 422hp, what do you expect me to do with that horsepower? I gave him my DL and he wrote me 2 tickets, one for speeding and one for reckless driving. I didn't argue with him at all, because he could have arrested me. I hired a lawyer and beat these tickets with relative ease, never had to show up in court. So, your uncle should have kept his tail between his legs, especially with an expired one. I had a valid DL, but I know that arguing is not good, it won't get me anywhere, except jail.

On you uncle, as such, once the officer realized his DL was expired, then he had a right to seek more info on this expired DL. Your uncle needs to chill down, since his papers are still pending, he needs to obey all the laws, because these things have a bearing decisions which are made by USCIS officials.

As for Someone12, don't respond to any of his posting, he is a retarded fool, bigot and a fascist. Michael doesn't know what he is talking about as well. NY Cops are state cops, and aren't tasked with enforcing immigration laws which are federal. So, cops in NY can't recommend someone for deportation, it is beyond the scope of their responsibility.

No, he wasn't allowed to take your Uncle's DL. However, why didn't your uncle apply for a renewal with a current and valid date? Guys, you need to obey the laws of Uncle Sam, irrespective of what is your immigration status, otherwise you are going to blow smoke in your backside...

It is not police abuse at all. Did he arrest your uncle?

Comment

Police had right to even arrest him if your uncle acted uncooperative and argued with the COP.

The question now is: what is your uncle's status?
                  If it's "pending", then he will not face deportation for not possessing the document that he couldn't possess in the first place.

However, the separate charges might be filed against him (not having valid license, arguing with COP and etc.).

Hope this helps you.

Comment

Prof

Thank you so much, reading what you wrote I know you are right that is what I told him but I wanted to confirm with somebody else as well, he was pulled over for Cell phone use, and that was the second time for him that's why I belive he was arguing. Even his lawyer told him, he needs to go at the processing center in Washington make an infopass to get that paper stating that his case is pending, but I don't think the cop will give the DL back and will make him go to DMV and get a new one which at this time he will not be able to do so.
                    Thank you once again for the useful advice.

Have a great night...!!!!

Comment

Ramalotti,

Is he in Washington, DC? If so, then he can made an info pass for the Arlington, VA office or Fairfax, VA office. He should go these as soon as possible, because he can get in trouble, especially if the NY cop files some charges. He never had a physical confrontation with the cop, is that right?

Actually, cellphone use is out-lawed in most states now, I know DC, NY and other states. So, he needs to be careful, as such issue can be con-joined in the moral character of such a person.I wish you success on the matter..

Comment

Prof

The only thing he had...basicly he was arguing with the cop for the cell phone ticket, but the cop got upset and told hi if he is not gonna shut up will arest him, point when he kept his mouth shut. The thing is that he lives here in NY and since he doesn't have a DL and his passport is expired, his wife doesn't have a DL and her passport is expired his only option is somebody go with him in VA, upon establishing the appt. Hopefully the cop won't make this situation worse for him.

thanks,
                        D

Comment

Working...
                        X