I-130 interview and more documents request

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I-130 interview and more documents request

My wife is an American citizen. I came to the States from China almost 5 years ago as an exchange scholar. We got married early last year and filed for my I-130 and I-485 shortly after that. In May 2007, we had I-130 interview in San Francisco. The whole interview did not go very well. The immigration officer wanted me to answer only yes or not but no explanation. This seemed a bit difficult for me as English is not my first language. There happened a couple of times that I answered yes but my wife immediately said no in front of me and the officer. Very embarassing! Those questions were not big ones. Later on, the immigration officer seemed to be pretty impatient. I explained to him that I did not want to hide anything but I cannot completely understand his questions so I was not sure how to anwer yes or no. He seemed to understand that so he said to me that I could have asked a translator to come with me. In the end, he was okay and told me that I only need a name check and submit a household registration form.

Since then, I have not heard anything from USCIS until two weeks ago that I received a letter asking me to submit two photographs and a notarized affidavit form. This affidavit form is easy to fill in, just a few questions regarding my current address, phone number, marital status and any change after the last interview. I sent the required stuff very swiftly back to USCIS. However, a week later(two days ago), USCIS sent a letter to my wife asking her to submit both her divorce document with her ex-husband and joint documentation showing bona fide marriage to me from June 2007 to present. Is this a common letter after the interview? We actually did not give too many documents regarding our bona fide marriage during the interview coz he did not ask for them. Also, is this a good or bad sign of the application? Will USCIS ask us for a second interview? As our marriage is real, I am not worried too much about it. The problem is to judge whether a marriage is real or not is very arbitrary. Sometimes the fear is a real marriage can be regarded as a sham one due to an extreme interrogation by the USCIS officers. All I can do now is to give what they want. If the second interview is inevitable, we will just try our best.

My wife is an American citizen. I came to the States from China almost 5 years ago as an exchange scholar. We got married early last year and filed for my I-130 and I-485 shortly after that. In May 2007, we had I-130 interview in San Francisco. The whole interview did not go very well. The immigration officer wanted me to answer only yes or not but no explanation. This seemed a bit difficult for me as English is not my first language. There happened a couple of times that I answered yes but my wife immediately said no in front of me and the officer. Very embarassing! Those questions were not big ones. Later on, the immigration officer seemed to be pretty impatient. I explained to him that I did not want to hide anything but I cannot completely understand his questions so I was not sure how to anwer yes or no. He seemed to understand that so he said to me that I could have asked a translator to come with me. In the end, he was okay and told me that I only need a name check and submit a household registration form.

Since then, I have not heard anything from USCIS until two weeks ago that I received a letter asking me to submit two photographs and a notarized affidavit form. This affidavit form is easy to fill in, just a few questions regarding my current address, phone number, marital status and any change after the last interview. I sent the required stuff very swiftly back to USCIS. However, a week later(two days ago), USCIS sent a letter to my wife asking her to submit both her divorce document with her ex-husband and joint documentation showing bona fide marriage to me from June 2007 to present. Is this a common letter after the interview? We actually did not give too many documents regarding our bona fide marriage during the interview coz he did not ask for them. Also, is this a good or bad sign of the application? Will USCIS ask us for a second interview? As our marriage is real, I am not worried too much about it. The problem is to judge whether a marriage is real or not is very arbitrary. Sometimes the fear is a real marriage can be regarded as a sham one due to an extreme interrogation by the USCIS officers. All I can do now is to give what they want. If the second interview is inevitable, we will just try our best.

Comment

hi edinburgher and welcome . well yeah it's all normal so far but you made a mistake by not taking the evidence to prove the bona fide of your marriage when you went to the interview. they dont have to ask you ,this is your case and you want it to be approved and you have to prove the relation by showing them documents .and this happens all the times when u enter the country on non immigrant status and then u marry a u.s citizen ,they just wanna make sure that your marriage is real, and thats why he was hard and tough on you,bcoz u didnt have any documentation to show them ,and they asked her for her divorce paper just to make sure that she was divorce when she mary you, nothing to worry about if you have evidence to prove your marriage and good luck.

Comment

your english seams very good..

You say your name check wasn't completed at the time of the interview. It looks like the results came back. A lot of time has passed since the interview, so now they just want to make sure you guys are still together (evidence from June 2007 to present). I am guessing they are getting ready to approve your application. They just needed to cover some bases first...

Comment

Edingburher i have a friend going through the same situation as you he had an I-130 interview and they did not give him an approval after the interview instead the immigration officer asked him to show his divorce documents from his previous marriage and any evidence to show that that marriage was bona fide before the divorce he also had to get affidavits from friends who knew about the previous marriage after getting all of the required documents he submitted it and he hasn't heard anything yet...his interview was on December 17.
          "Until the color of a man's skin is of no more significance than the color of his eyes everywhere will be war"...................BOB MARLEY

Comment

Thanks all! Actually, I brought all the documents for proving the bona fide marriage with me during the interview. As the atmosphere that officer created was a little hostile, I was not in a mood to show him those things. Also, he never asked me for any pictures, bills, co-ownership of vehicles...

I called USCIS this morning to get more information on the joint documentation for showing bona fide marriage. That officer was very friendly. He told me that as long as we have documents showing that we are together, there should not be any problem. Usually, USCIS would find the marriage suspicious if the two persons do not live together, do register their cars at two different places, have very rare telephone or email conversation.

Okay, I will just get as many documents as possible. Hopefully, things will be sorted out soon.

Again, thanks for all your kind suggestions and opinions.

Comment

hmm let me ask u this plz, why do u think your english isn't that good? i mean your english is just great man

Comment

Youre welcome Ed and please come back and let us know what transpired..thanks for visiting ILW..
                "Until the color of a man's skin is of no more significance than the color of his eyes everywhere will be war"...................BOB MARLEY

Comment

Hi, Mike

Thanks for your comments on my English! It is not too bad as I did my undergraduate in the UK. However, I still use Chinese much more than English everyday. Usually, it should not be a big problem for me to communicate with English-speaking people around but if it is in a very official occasion, or the atmosphere is a bit tense, I will feel nervous and as a consequence, will make mistakes in my listening comprehension. Perhaps I just thought too much to figure out what that officer really meant. Unfortunately, some of my understandings did not match what he was really looking for. Certainly, he is the type of person who may deliberately intimate the applicants to make sure they cause their own contradiction. Anyway, I will let you know what happens after submitting the documents at USCIS' request.

Comment

Edinburgher, is your ID anything to do with Edinburgh, Scotland? I know you are not from there but just curious about the name.

Or it is German for something?
                    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                    God Bless America - God Bless Immigrants - God Bless Poor Misguided Souls Too

National Domestic Violence Hotline:
                    1.800.799.SAFE (7233) 1.800.787.

Comment

Working...
                    X