Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

One year on - What the US is really like

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • One year on - What the US is really like

    We're currently "celebrating" one year in the US and although there are some things we really like it's not exactly what we expected either. Some of the things we miss surprise us and most expats we talk to also dislike as much as they like.

    What we love is all the open space and wilderness. We're seriously considering moving home and are fearful of feeling claustrophobic in the UK or elsewhere in Europe. On the flip side though we miss the animation of pedestrianised town centres in Europe - chatter spilling out onto the street from cafes and pubs...and the ability to post a letter, go to the bank, buy a pair of jeans and have a cappuccino with a friend without having to take the car or sit in a parking lot.

    However, the thing that most shocked us was how corporate life suppresses your personality here. We weren't expecting that - especially as Hollywood portrays Americans as rewarding the outspoken person who stands up for what they believe. We've lived in several countries due to work and never felt more pressure to be "yes-men" - not even in the UK which is supposed to be more polite/reserved! Is it just us or does anyone else have the same impression?

    I've created a survey to find out the reasons people move to the US
    and what they worry about at:

    http://www.opiniondb.com/DoSurveyList.aspx?id=1579b818-...0f-b9a7-40c48d4d0f2f

    It'll be interesting to see all the different reasons people come and hopefully of use to those thinking about moving here as well as those thinking of moving back home.

  • #2
    Isn't it funny...you assert that "most expats we talk to also dislike as much as they like," yet this discussion board is full of people who are desperate to remain in America.

    You are, of course, entitled to your opinion, but I believe that your view of Europe is one seen through some rose-colored glasses - especially as concerns the U.K.

    I would agree that, in general, Americans are less outspoken than Europeans...which puts the lie to the often-held stereotype of the loudmouthed American. It turns out that it's the Europeans who are the loudmouths (lol). Americans respect the views of other people, and are confident enough not to shout and scream at each other if they disagree. If you believe that you're under "pressure to be yes-men," then I believe that you have misinterpreted the situation.

    Having been in the U.K., I think that you're more likely to witness a fight "spilling out onto the street" from a bar, than you are to hear friendly chatter. I know that the town centers (not centres) of Britain are dangerous places after dark.

    Perhaps when you return to the supposed paradise of the U.K. you'll look back on your time in America a little more favorably. Don't let the door hit you on the way out.

    One more benefit of living in Britain: at least your spelling will be correct there.

    Comment


    • #3
      Sundevil, you say about fights breaking out in bars, have you seen what is happening over here, oh we may have a few fights, but at least we dont shoot each other in the back, I could go on, but what is the point,

      Comment


      • #4
        Move out to the country, where county inspectors drive while drinking their beer! lmao...

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by SunDevilUSA:
          Isn't it funny...you assert that "most expats we talk to also dislike as much as they like," yet this discussion board is full of people who are desperate to remain in America.

          You are, of course, entitled to your opinion, but I believe that your view of Europe is one seen through some rose-colored glasses - especially as concerns the U.K.

          I would agree that, in general, Americans are less outspoken than Europeans...which puts the lie to the often-held stereotype of the loudmouthed American. It turns out that it's the Europeans who are the loudmouths (lol). Americans respect the views of other people, and are confident enough not to shout and scream at each other if they disagree. If you believe that you're under "pressure to be yes-men," then I believe that you have misinterpreted the situation.

          Having been in the U.K., I think that you're more likely to witness a fight "spilling out onto the street" from a bar, than you are to hear friendly chatter. I know that the town centers (not centres) of Britain are dangerous places after dark.

          Perhaps when you return to the supposed paradise of the U.K. you'll look back on your time in America a little more favorably. Don't let the door hit you on the way out.

          One more benefit of living in Britain: at least your spelling will be correct there.
          Thank You!!!

          America = Illusion Of Granger For So Many!!! Is More or Less same As Where You Left In Most cases!!! Sometimes Worse, Just In Different More Complex ways!
          USC and Legal, Honest Immigrant Alike Must Fight Against Those That Deceive and Disrupt A Place Of Desirability! All Are Victims of Fraud, Both USC and Honest Immigrant Alike! The bad can and does make it more difficult for the good! Be careful who y

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by Houston:
            Move out to the country, where county inspectors drive while drinking their beer! lmao...
            OMG!!! HOUSTON??? You Still Have That There????? I Thought Freedom and Peace Were Lost????
            USC and Legal, Honest Immigrant Alike Must Fight Against Those That Deceive and Disrupt A Place Of Desirability! All Are Victims of Fraud, Both USC and Honest Immigrant Alike! The bad can and does make it more difficult for the good! Be careful who y

            Comment


            • #7
              lmao... like the cowboys, very seldom seen, very strong impression, even stronger odor! lmao

              Comment


              • #8
                I've given a false impression of hating everything here. I didn't mean to I just got carried away with one aspect.

                I agree that "often-held stereotype of the loudmouthed American" is false and will be sure to tell everyone in Europe that. It's just that in a work situation, I get very frustrated to not be able to give my opinion in meetings as often as I'm used to.

                Another myth about Americans that I'll be glad to dismiss is their lack of World knowledge. I've met many people here who know lots about European geography and culture and are very enthusiastic about it. Europeans know a lot less about the US than they think, except for tourist destinations and what the popular press tells them.

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by JenniT:
                  I've given a false impression of hating everything here. I didn't mean to I just got carried away with one aspect.

                  I agree that "often-held stereotype of the loudmouthed American" is false and will be sure to tell everyone in Europe that. It's just that in a work situation, I get very frustrated to not be able to give my opinion in meetings as often as I'm used to.

                  Another myth about Americans that I'll be glad to dismiss is their lack of World knowledge. I've met many people here who know lots about European geography and culture and are very enthusiastic about it. Europeans know a lot less about the US than they think, except for tourist destinations and what the popular press tells them.
                  JenniT,

                  Most Americans Dont Always Make Known What We Know! Very Deep Thinkers, And Always Thinking Far Ahead. More Like Sponges, Absorbing Info. Without Others non The Wiser!
                  USC and Legal, Honest Immigrant Alike Must Fight Against Those That Deceive and Disrupt A Place Of Desirability! All Are Victims of Fraud, Both USC and Honest Immigrant Alike! The bad can and does make it more difficult for the good! Be careful who y

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by MakeItRight!:
                    <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by JenniT:
                    I've given a false impression of hating everything here. I didn't mean to I just got carried away with one aspect.

                    I agree that "often-held stereotype of the loudmouthed American" is false and will be sure to tell everyone in Europe that. It's just that in a work situation, I get very frustrated to not be able to give my opinion in meetings as often as I'm used to.

                    Another myth about Americans that I'll be glad to dismiss is their lack of World knowledge. I've met many people here who know lots about European geography and culture and are very enthusiastic about it. Europeans know a lot less about the US than they think, except for tourist destinations and what the popular press tells them.
                    JenniT,

                    Most Americans Dont Always Make Known What We Know! Very Deep Thinkers, And Always Thinking Far Ahead. More Like Sponges, Absorbing Info. Without Others non The Wiser! </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

                    Hollywood Is Just a Business. Just Like everything Else!
                    USC and Legal, Honest Immigrant Alike Must Fight Against Those That Deceive and Disrupt A Place Of Desirability! All Are Victims of Fraud, Both USC and Honest Immigrant Alike! The bad can and does make it more difficult for the good! Be careful who y

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      I understand your point JennT. This one great nation, no doubts about it, but if you're looking for perfection you wont find it either here or in the UK.

                      Everywhere you go there's good and bad, and that's just a fact of life.

                      Funny you mention loudmouthed people, they also tend to be the most outspoken, honest people you'll ever meet. Cow hands and sod busters, long live the breed! lol

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Jake01: From what I understand, Britain has an epidemic of violent crime, and that knives are regularly used as the weapon of choice (or the nearest beer glass). I think that, perhaps, given your familiarity with Britain, you were not quite as observant or critical as you might have been (complacent is another word that springs to mind).

                        I would suggest that, on a per-capita basis, Britons are more likely to be the victims of violent crime than Americans. I know that my friends in Britain don't feel safe in the downtown areas of their towns and cities.

                        Furthermore, I note that you don't actually live in Britain...actions always speak louder than words.

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Originally posted by SunDevilUSA:

                          Furthermore, I note that you don't actually live in Britain...actions always speak louder than words.
                          Your will be eating your words in about a year Sundevil, as I am moving back home, once I get my dogs thru the Quarantine procedures, and have enough money for there flight and my own, I will be leaving America, I only came here for my husband, the USC, and what a fool I was.

                          I put all my trust into one man, who in the end, was a preditor, I mean after having 3 other English wives, and 2 Americans, I should have seen the red flags, but love is blind.

                          I can assure you, that there is a lot more violence over here, there maybe stabbing, but you have more deaths thru violence here.

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Originally posted by Jake01:
                            <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by SunDevilUSA:

                            Furthermore, I note that you don't actually live in Britain...actions always speak louder than words.
                            Your will be eating your words in about a year Sundevil, as I am moving back home, once I get my dogs thru the Quarantine procedures, and have enough money for there flight and my own, I will be leaving America, I only came here for my husband, the USC, and what a fool I was.

                            I put all my trust into one man, who in the end, was a preditor, I mean after having 3 other English wives, and 2 Americans, I should have seen the red flags, but love is blind.

                            I can assure you, that there is a lot more violence over here, there maybe stabbing, but you have more deaths thru violence here. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

                            Please Keep in Touch Jake.
                            USC and Legal, Honest Immigrant Alike Must Fight Against Those That Deceive and Disrupt A Place Of Desirability! All Are Victims of Fraud, Both USC and Honest Immigrant Alike! The bad can and does make it more difficult for the good! Be careful who y

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Originally posted by MakeItRight!:

                              Please Keep in Touch Jake.
                              Sorry MIR, I might not be able to, I will probably get stabbed with a beer glass once I venture off the plane at Heathrow LOL!!

                              But at least my chances are high, with only being stabbed rather than shot!

                              Comment



                              Working...
                              X