X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Trespassing vs ticket: Naturalization

Hello,

Here is the situation:

over a year or so ago, I was working in the computer lab on a sunday without realizing the school was closed that day. The computer lab was open and there were few people there. Couple of hours later, I was alone in there and everyone ese had left. I kept working until the campus cops showed up and arrested me for trespassing. I did not get any clue from anybody to leave the building before the cops came.

Anyway, we went to court and the judge reduced the charges to a parking ticket and said something like if I got in trouble in the following 6 months, he could re-open the case. Anyway, I paid the parking ticket and left.

My question is, on the naturalization form, they ask:

Have you been arrested for ....?
    Have you been convicted of ....?

What should I answer?
    1. Arrested of trespassing and convicted of parking?

2. Arrested of trespassing but case dismissed and convicted of parking?

3. Arrested of trespassing but case converted to parking ticket conviction?

4. Arrested and convicted of parking ticket? In this case, USCIS says it is not necessary to mention parking tickets with fines less than $400. So, should I metion it at all?

Also, how would this affect my case?

Thanks.

Hello,

Here is the situation:

over a year or so ago, I was working in the computer lab on a sunday without realizing the school was closed that day. The computer lab was open and there were few people there. Couple of hours later, I was alone in there and everyone ese had left. I kept working until the campus cops showed up and arrested me for trespassing. I did not get any clue from anybody to leave the building before the cops came.

Anyway, we went to court and the judge reduced the charges to a parking ticket and said something like if I got in trouble in the following 6 months, he could re-open the case. Anyway, I paid the parking ticket and left.

My question is, on the naturalization form, they ask:

Have you been arrested for ....?
    Have you been convicted of ....?

What should I answer?
    1. Arrested of trespassing and convicted of parking?

2. Arrested of trespassing but case dismissed and convicted of parking?

3. Arrested of trespassing but case converted to parking ticket conviction?

4. Arrested and convicted of parking ticket? In this case, USCIS says it is not necessary to mention parking tickets with fines less than $400. So, should I metion it at all?

Also, how would this affect my case?

Thanks.

Comment

I would choose Option 2. Good luck. A parking ticket shouldn't cause a problem with your naturalization process.

Comment

You have been arrested. What you got was pre-trial diversion.

You have an arrest for the stated crime. You do not have a conviction.

You must report arrests.

Comment

Thanks for your input.

I called the court today and they said that I do have violations (traffic ticket) in my record but no misdemeanor. I am going to order a certificate of disposition and add it to my case.

Do you think it is worth hiing a lawyer because of this?

Comment

No need. You should be ok. Was the parking ticket fine under $400? If so, then you don't need to report it.

Comment

Yes, the parking ticket was under $400 (it was $75).

Actually, I do need to report it. I think you meant, I dont need to document it.

Comment

This moron now says he is natzing in New York.

Comment

Working...
                X