Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

passport for social security

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • passport for social security

    Hi there,
    I am an asylum seeker, i have got my work permit but don't have my pasport with me so could not get social security my passport is with the immigration so plaease advice if there is any way to get my passport for the social security purpose.
    Thanks for any help or idea.
    right now i am in michigan.

  • #2
    Hi there,
    I am an asylum seeker, i have got my work permit but don't have my pasport with me so could not get social security my passport is with the immigration so plaease advice if there is any way to get my passport for the social security purpose.
    Thanks for any help or idea.
    right now i am in michigan.

    Comment


    • #3
      Hi Himalaya,

      Welcome to the ILW.

      I'm sure the other senior members can share their opinions with you - do check in every now and then.
      Do all the good you can, in all the ways you can, as long as ever you can.

      --John Wesley

      Comment


      • #4
        If you have an EAD, that is enough identification for Social Security. You don't need a passport.

        Comment


        • #5
          <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by himalaya:
          Hi there,
          I am an asylum seeker, i have got my work permit but don't have my pasport with me so could not get social security my passport is with the immigration so plaease advice if there is any way to get my passport for the social security purpose.
          Thanks for any help or idea.
          right now i am in michigan. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
          Why is your passport with immigration?
          "Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passion, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence." John Adams on Defense of the boston Massacre

          Comment


          • #6
            Immigration usually seizes one's passport the moment one has a problem with them. The same thing happened to my boyfriend and now he cant get his passport back even after wining his case, and his embassy wont issue another passport to him unless he presents the old one or provides a police report for lost passport. Does anyone one know if there is a statute of limitation for filing a police report for an item that got lost over 7 years ago?

            Comment


            • #7
              ANY USCIS ISSUED DOCUMENT THAT SHOWS YOUR IMMIGRATION STATUS AND VALIDATES THAT YOU ARE LEGAL SHOULD BE ENOUGH FOR THEM ..IT WAS FOR MY CASE AND I GOT REPLACEMENT SSN NO PROBS I.E IN 10 BUSINESS DAYS OR LESS GIVE THEM THE DOCUMENT THAT SHOWS THIS WORK PERMIT NO THE SOCIAL SECURITY ADMIN HAS A DIRECT LINK TO IMMI THEY WILL RUN THE NO THROUGH AND VALIDATE IT TAKES 1 MIN AND YOU GOOD TO GO...

              <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by himalaya:
              Hi there,
              I am an asylum seeker, i have got my work permit but don't have my pasport with me so could not get social security my passport is with the immigration so plaease advice if there is any way to get my passport for the social security purpose.
              Thanks for any help or idea.
              right now i am in michigan. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
              Regards and thanks,
              Mary Josephine :-)

              Comment


              • #8
                WELL GET THE PASSPORT BACK IF HE WAS PROVEN INNOCENT I DONT SEE WHAY THEY SHOULD HAVE HIS PASSPORT ARE YOU TELLING ALL THE DETAILS.. <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Sarahcox:
                Immigration usually seizes one's passport the moment one has a problem with them. The same thing happened to my boyfriend and now he cant get his passport back even after wining his case, and his embassy wont issue another passport to him unless he presents the old one or provides a police report for lost passport. Does anyone one know if there is a statute of limitation for filing a police report for an item that got lost over 7 years ago? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
                Regards and thanks,
                Mary Josephine :-)

                Comment


                • #9
                  USCIS and ICE only hold your passport if you are in removal proceedings.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Do i lOoK LiKe i gIvE A ****?
                    Everything comes in circles ....... The old wheel turns, and the same spoke comes up. It's all been done before, and will be again.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Sarahcox:
                      Immigration usually seizes one's passport the moment one has a problem with them. The same thing happened to my boyfriend and now he cant get his passport back even after wining his case, and his embassy wont issue another passport to him unless he presents the old one or provides a police report for lost passport. Does anyone one know if there is a statute of limitation for filing a police report for an item that got lost over 7 years ago? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
                      That part I understand, but if one receives an EAD, then through asylum or any other adjustment procedure, then one should not have problems that require the seizure of a passport. That usually happens when someone is either in custody with CBP or ICE, or going through a immigration legal proceeding like deportation.
                      "Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passion, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence." John Adams on Defense of the boston Massacre

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by mary Ireland:
                        ANY USCIS ISSUED DOCUMENT THAT SHOWS YOUR IMMIGRATION STATUS AND VALIDATES THAT YOU ARE LEGAL SHOULD BE ENOUGH FOR THEM ..IT WAS FOR MY CASE AND I GOT REPLACEMENT SSN NO PROBS I.E IN 10 BUSINESS DAYS OR LESS GIVE THEM THE DOCUMENT THAT SHOWS THIS WORK PERMIT NO THE SOCIAL SECURITY ADMIN HAS A DIRECT LINK TO IMMI THEY WILL RUN THE NO THROUGH AND VALIDATE IT TAKES 1 MIN AND YOU GOOD TO GO...

                        <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by himalaya:
                        Hi there,
                        I am an asylum seeker, i have got my work permit but don't have my pasport with me so could not get social security my passport is with the immigration so plaease advice if there is any way to get my passport for the social security purpose.
                        Thanks for any help or idea.
                        right now i am in michigan. </div></BLOCKQUOTE> </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
                        Mary, Social Security Administration requires you have both the EAD and Passport when applying for a social security card. The EAD or the I-551 provides the evidence that a non U.S. citizen is eligible for a social security number. And he cannot use the ITIN number for work purposes either.

                        But something is not right. Why receive an EAD when one has an immigration problem that requires seizure of a passport?
                        "Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passion, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence." John Adams on Defense of the boston Massacre

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          I found this information for the OP, not sure how up to date it is. May be worth checking also his local SS office online and see what information it has there.

                          Social Security Online - Immigration
                          -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                          God Bless America - God Bless Immigrants - God Bless Poor Misguided Souls Too

                          National Domestic Violence Hotline:
                          1.800.799.SAFE (7233) 1.800.787.

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Sprint_girl07:
                            I found this information for the OP, not sure how up to date it is. May be worth checking also his local SS office online and see what information it has there.

                            Social Security Online - Immigration </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
                            Sprint, good job. However, the I-94 is attached to the passport, and with immigration holding the passport, the EAD and the SSN is null and void for right now.
                            "Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passion, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence." John Adams on Defense of the boston Massacre

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Are they not supposed to give him a substitute or whatever it is in place of the I-94 if they take it? I thought you are required to keep that on you at all times. Well I was. In fact I still have mine, no one ever took mine out of my passport.

                              Surely he must have some document to prove his status? EAD don't say much.
                              -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                              God Bless America - God Bless Immigrants - God Bless Poor Misguided Souls Too

                              National Domestic Violence Hotline:
                              1.800.799.SAFE (7233) 1.800.787.

                              Comment



                              Working...
                              X