Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

how should i file taxes??????????? help!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• how should i file taxes??????????? help!

i have a question that i am really stuck on... me and my husband dated for a year and we recently married in mid-December.. my question is during the whole year of 2006 i was stil a dependent up until mid-December.. so how should i filefor 2006?? single or married??

i have a question that i am really stuck on... me and my husband dated for a year and we recently married in mid-December.. my question is during the whole year of 2006 i was stil a dependent up until mid-December.. so how should i filefor 2006?? single or married??

Comment

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by mp2006:
      i have a question that i am really stuck on... me and my husband dated for a year and we recently married in mid-December.. my question is during the whole year of 2006 i was stil a dependent up until mid-December.. so how should i filefor 2006?? single or married?? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
      If you are legally married on Dec 31st. then you are considered married for the entire year. You can either file married file jointly or married file separately; however, married file separately tends to be the worst filing status because most of the credits, deductions, etc are eliminated by that filing status. As for the dependency status, once you are married, your parents cannot claim you unless the only reason for filing a return is to get the withholding back.

It also does not matter who is listed first, but be consistent on future years.
      "Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passion, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence." John Adams on Defense of the boston Massacre

Comment

Working...
      X