Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DS-156 Question

Hello everyone,
    I have a quick question when filing the DS-156 (Immigrant visa application) what should we answer in question 26 (How long do you intend to stay in the U.S.), if we are filing this application as a part of Fiancée Packet. Please take in consideration that they are planning to get married in The States.
    Thank you

Hello everyone,
    I have a quick question when filing the DS-156 (Immigrant visa application) what should we answer in question 26 (How long do you intend to stay in the U.S.), if we are filing this application as a part of Fiancée Packet. Please take in consideration that they are planning to get married in The States.
    Thank you

Comment

Hi GG!

I found this site: (see no mention of the DS-156 form which is the Non-immigrant Visa Application, though).

http://www.familybasedimmigration.com/k1-visa.html

Overview of the K1 Visa Process
      Filing the Petition, through to Adjustment of Status to that of a Permanent Resident

If your fiance(e) is not a citizen of the United States AND IS OUTSIDE THE US, and you plan to marry in the US, s/he must have a visa to come to the US and adjust status from that of a non-immigrant to an immigrant.

Step One toward applying for the K1 visa is to have the US citizen fiancé(e) file the I129F Petition for a Fiance(e).

After the petition is approved, your fiancé(e) must obtain the K1 visa issued at a U.S. Embassy or consulate abroad.

The I129F petition is valid for four months from the date of approval. A consular officer can extend the validity of the petition (revalidate the petition) if it expires before you finish processing the K1 visa.

The marriage must take place within 90 days of your fiance(e) entering the United States on the K1 visa in order to adjust status from the K1 visa.

If the marriage does not take place or your fiance(e) marries someone other than you (the U.S. citizen filing USCIS Form I129F - Petition for Alien Fiancé), your fiancé(e) will be required to leave the United States.

The K1 fiance(e) can only adjust status through marriage to the original USC petitioner.

If the marriage does not take place within the 90 day admission K1 visa admission period, they may not apply to adjust status without an additional petition I-130. Additionally, the K1 fiance(e) will be accumulating time out of status after the original 90 day admission until their AOS application is accepted. Additional research is recommended if you are in this situation.

Until the marriage takes place, your fiance(e) is considered a non-immigrant. A non-immigrant is a foreign national seeking to temporarily enter the United States for a specific purpose.

After marriage, the K1 must apply to Adjust Status to Permanent Resident to change from anonimmigrant to an immigrant. When the Adjustment of Status is approved, the immigrant becomes a Permanent Resident and receives a 'Green Card'.

A fiance(e) may not obtain an extension of the 90-day original non-immigrant admission of the K1 visa.

In the top menu bar of the immigration forums you will find a K1 Visa Guide and Flowchart, as well as other Guides for various processes. Throughout the immigration forums you will also find numerous links and resources, including a DHS, USCIS, DOS menu on the left side of the immigration forum, to help you research your case and find the answers you are looking for.

To understand your options further, see Visa Options - Immigrant, K1, K3, & Family Preference which you will find in the 'Where Do I Begin' section of the immigration forums.

Take your time in researching and completing the petition and visa application packages. It will be time worth spent.

Comment

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by ggfrisco:
        Hello everyone,
        Thank you </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

see question 26

Comment

Thanks for helping the OP, 4Now. I couldn't locate that information in my search!

Comment

Thank you very much! This info is great!

Comment

Working...
            X