What am i getting myself into??

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What am i getting myself into??

Hi everyone. i have posted before. but i am engaged to my 19 year old boyfriend. He came here when he was 16 from el salvador on a tourist visa. He had an inspection when he came here. His visa expired in march 2002 and he has been here ever since. He has been going to school the entire time and will graduate from high school this may. Back then, he had no idea that him staying here was not a good thing. His dad made him come here. So just recently after he met me, he realized what a bad situation he is in. Before I even knew of his status, I fell in love with him. He fell in love with me. We are going to get married because we can't live this life without each other. So now you know my situation...

I met him last summer at work. Yes.. he was working without his papers. This was way before I knew that he was out of status. After we began getting more serious, he told me his situation. I told him that he had to stop working, that is is just not worth the risk. He is trying to pay off his car, and i told him it is worth waiting for. I am a manager there, and i was reading the email like i always do, and there was an email titled with his name. I opened it up and it was an email from the corporate office, saying that his social security number was INVALID. I was shocked. He quit that day before my job fired him. He either had the option to quit, or to fight it. I read the email before anyone else, so he quit before the general manager got it. It is a fast food restaurant. he worked there for 2 months.

since then he has not worked.

I don't know what is going to happen, but my heart is telling me to be with him by his side. I see past this. I see a future for us and us one day having a fun life. So far, I have heard that after marrying him, he can apply for an AOS. I am scared that he will get deported. I know it is a lengthy process, but.. gosh, it is just so hard to describe. We just CANT be without eachother.

So, does ANYONE have any advice? I have no idea really how this works. Can you give me an idea of what i am going to go through? Remember, he didn't come here illegally. he has a valid passport but his visa is expired. He is 19, I am 22. he worked with a fake ss#. When they ask him if he has worked illegaly, he will tell the truth. We have some pictures and some other things to show that we have been together for a while and i have a beautiful 19 diamond engagement ring on my finger as i write this.

I have a tendancy to write a lot, but i know that if i want any feedback on this, i have to explain everything. If i left anything out, please let me know so i can get some answers.

IT'S VALENTINES DAY AND I PRAY THAT WE SHARE MANY MORE TOGETHER.

THANK YOU!
    austin, texas

Hi everyone. i have posted before. but i am engaged to my 19 year old boyfriend. He came here when he was 16 from el salvador on a tourist visa. He had an inspection when he came here. His visa expired in march 2002 and he has been here ever since. He has been going to school the entire time and will graduate from high school this may. Back then, he had no idea that him staying here was not a good thing. His dad made him come here. So just recently after he met me, he realized what a bad situation he is in. Before I even knew of his status, I fell in love with him. He fell in love with me. We are going to get married because we can't live this life without each other. So now you know my situation...

I met him last summer at work. Yes.. he was working without his papers. This was way before I knew that he was out of status. After we began getting more serious, he told me his situation. I told him that he had to stop working, that is is just not worth the risk. He is trying to pay off his car, and i told him it is worth waiting for. I am a manager there, and i was reading the email like i always do, and there was an email titled with his name. I opened it up and it was an email from the corporate office, saying that his social security number was INVALID. I was shocked. He quit that day before my job fired him. He either had the option to quit, or to fight it. I read the email before anyone else, so he quit before the general manager got it. It is a fast food restaurant. he worked there for 2 months.

since then he has not worked.

I don't know what is going to happen, but my heart is telling me to be with him by his side. I see past this. I see a future for us and us one day having a fun life. So far, I have heard that after marrying him, he can apply for an AOS. I am scared that he will get deported. I know it is a lengthy process, but.. gosh, it is just so hard to describe. We just CANT be without eachother.

So, does ANYONE have any advice? I have no idea really how this works. Can you give me an idea of what i am going to go through? Remember, he didn't come here illegally. he has a valid passport but his visa is expired. He is 19, I am 22. he worked with a fake ss#. When they ask him if he has worked illegaly, he will tell the truth. We have some pictures and some other things to show that we have been together for a while and i have a beautiful 19 diamond engagement ring on my finger as i write this.

I have a tendancy to write a lot, but i know that if i want any feedback on this, i have to explain everything. If i left anything out, please let me know so i can get some answers.

IT'S VALENTINES DAY AND I PRAY THAT WE SHARE MANY MORE TOGETHER.

THANK YOU!
    austin, texas

Comment

Here's how it works:
      After your marriage he becomes eligible to adjust his status to a permanent resident. To establish his eligibility you file form I-130 alien relative petition. For him to adjust status he files form I-485. After receiving NOA1 for I-485 he becomes legal and his status is "pending adjustment interview" will make him eligible to legally work and apply for a valid SSN. For that he files form I-765. He will receive employment authorization document (EAD) in a few months and can apply for SSN. If he wants to travel outside the U.S. while his adjustment is pending he should file for advanced parole form I-131. If he goes outside the U.S. on AP there's a risk of not being admitted back. So it's not a good idea. File all the forms concurrently at a local CIS District Office. If you plan on filing on or after April 1 2005 then there's a new filing address.

http://uscis.gov/graphics/publicaffa...ox11_23_04.pdf

From your post it sounds like you're a USC. If that's the case his illegal overstay and work without authorization will be pardoned by the CIS. Don't worry about that. Read up on the adjustment of status process on http://uscis.gov There's a lot of forms to fill out. Read the instructions and fill them one at a time.

Cheers.

Comment

marriage based AOS forgives all overstay and/or illegal work, as long as you are honest and taxes are paid. (lying on forms is what gets you in trouble,
        however, he can NOT leave the country if he overstayed more than 180 days (that would trigger the bar) even though if you applied for AP CIS would grant it to you, (they don't check how long someone has overstayed to determine eligibility)
        also if you file all the forms concurrently, as it is recommened because it takes less time in the end, you cannot file at your local CIS District office, like sup said, but have to file either at a service center or send your application to the chicago lockbox address (from where it will be forwarded to the appropriate service center) where you have to file will therefore depend on which state you live in, and if you file after April 1 2005 your application has to be send to the chicago address regardless of where you live (check out sup's link)

Comment

If a marriage based I-130 is filed without I-485 it's filed at a regional CIS Service Center. If both forms filed concurrently they're filed at a local CIS District Office or a Chicago lock box after April 1 2005.

Cheers.

Comment

Working...
          X