Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How Is Your Racial Barometer Working With Immigration?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How Is Your Racial Barometer Working With Immigration?

How is your racial barometer working with immigration?

Most Utahns are not racists. However, commentaries from community members in The Spectrum & Daily News indicate that racism and bigotry are still a problem. As a racial tolerance barometer, let me tell you our story.

My children are descendents of illegal immigrants.

Many years ago, coming from a foreign land, our family attempted to enter the United States. Family members were turned away at the border for unclear reasons. Nevertheless, owing to their economic hardships, our family knew that returning to their homeland would be more impoverishing than the risks of living in the U.S. illegally. Consequently, they avoided the proper channels but managed to find employment as "illegals."

After years of saving money, our family moved into the Midwest, miles away from the U.S. border where they would be, hopefully, insulated from any immigration investigation.
    From which country or ethnic origin did our family come?

Stereotyping is where individuals base assumptions of a race of people on conventional, formulaic and oversimplified observations, often assuming that members of a particular race will look or act the same way. Racism and racial bigotry are, essentially, severe pejorative forms of stereotyping.

From stereotyping comes some of the most ignorant and painful admissions of one's character. For example, many times people are anxious to tell me off-color jokes about Mexicans, yet cannot understand why I don't laugh. Often, I will declare, "I am of Mexican heritage," with a typical reply being, "But you don't look like one of them." Further, at my place of employment, I dress professionally and I am typically attended with respect by the public. In contrast, I have noticed that after having worked in the yard where my skin turns a dark bronze after a long summer's exposure to the sun, many times I am treated with indifference by cashiers in stores - until I demonstrate that I speak English.

The issues of illegal immigration in this country are controversial and quite emotional. Still, it is unwarranted to witness people attacking the immigrants instead of the issues, vilifying their language, customs and their integrity. Evidence of this can be seen by a recent Writers Group column in this newspaper that exposed a writer's xenophobia and thinly disguised bigotry, comparing the influx of Hispanics into this country to the slow cooking of frogs.

I support the legal entry of all immigrants. However, the use of disparaging insults to attack these people embarrassingly exposes attitudes of racism and bigotry while ignoring the dishonest employers who entice workers merely attempting to support their families.

Did you guess Mexico or Latin America as our family's country of origin? Did my surname influence you? If you did, that is stereotyping. The correct answer to my question is: Ireland. The Great Potato Famine of the 19th Century was the cause of my wife's family, surname of Barr, illegally migrating to Canada, then to Ohio, several generations ago.

America is a country of immigrants.

Can you separate racism from disappointment over weakly-enforced immigration laws?

Glenn Mesa is a resident of St. George. He is a member of The Spectrum & Daily News Writers Group.

How is your racial barometer working with immigration?

Most Utahns are not racists. However, commentaries from community members in The Spectrum & Daily News indicate that racism and bigotry are still a problem. As a racial tolerance barometer, let me tell you our story.

My children are descendents of illegal immigrants.

Many years ago, coming from a foreign land, our family attempted to enter the United States. Family members were turned away at the border for unclear reasons. Nevertheless, owing to their economic hardships, our family knew that returning to their homeland would be more impoverishing than the risks of living in the U.S. illegally. Consequently, they avoided the proper channels but managed to find employment as "illegals."

After years of saving money, our family moved into the Midwest, miles away from the U.S. border where they would be, hopefully, insulated from any immigration investigation.
    From which country or ethnic origin did our family come?

Stereotyping is where individuals base assumptions of a race of people on conventional, formulaic and oversimplified observations, often assuming that members of a particular race will look or act the same way. Racism and racial bigotry are, essentially, severe pejorative forms of stereotyping.

From stereotyping comes some of the most ignorant and painful admissions of one's character. For example, many times people are anxious to tell me off-color jokes about Mexicans, yet cannot understand why I don't laugh. Often, I will declare, "I am of Mexican heritage," with a typical reply being, "But you don't look like one of them." Further, at my place of employment, I dress professionally and I am typically attended with respect by the public. In contrast, I have noticed that after having worked in the yard where my skin turns a dark bronze after a long summer's exposure to the sun, many times I am treated with indifference by cashiers in stores - until I demonstrate that I speak English.

The issues of illegal immigration in this country are controversial and quite emotional. Still, it is unwarranted to witness people attacking the immigrants instead of the issues, vilifying their language, customs and their integrity. Evidence of this can be seen by a recent Writers Group column in this newspaper that exposed a writer's xenophobia and thinly disguised bigotry, comparing the influx of Hispanics into this country to the slow cooking of frogs.

I support the legal entry of all immigrants. However, the use of disparaging insults to attack these people embarrassingly exposes attitudes of racism and bigotry while ignoring the dishonest employers who entice workers merely attempting to support their families.

Did you guess Mexico or Latin America as our family's country of origin? Did my surname influence you? If you did, that is stereotyping. The correct answer to my question is: Ireland. The Great Potato Famine of the 19th Century was the cause of my wife's family, surname of Barr, illegally migrating to Canada, then to Ohio, several generations ago.

America is a country of immigrants.

Can you separate racism from disappointment over weakly-enforced immigration laws?

Glenn Mesa is a resident of St. George. He is a member of The Spectrum & Daily News Writers Group.

Comment

Excellent article ProudUSC!

Comment

Thanks for posting this great article

Comment

You are quite welcome .

Comment

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">America is a country of immigrants. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Um .. not. America is a nation of Americans, many of immigrant descent. Mental and emotional state coupled with lack of/refusal to assimilate is what perpetuates the "nation of immigrants" lingo.

There is no such thing as a hypenated American. You are either born and bred American or you are a legalized American of foreign descent. Any foreigner who came here illegally and eventually became legal, yet still considers themselves a hypenated American is here solely in the interest of reaping the benefits of America, an undeserving of citizenship.
            Wolves Travel In Packs

Comment

I think YOU are refusing to assimilate! You'd better start learning Spanish ASAP!. The older you get, the harder it will be for you to learn it. Besides, you shouldn't forget your mental handicap, so start NOW, TODAY!!!

Comment

(lol)

Comment

Proud USC,good article!!
                  "Until the color of a man's skin is of no more significance than the color of his eyes everywhere will be war"...................BOB MARLEY

Comment

Glad you enjoyed it, Caribbeanman!

Comment

ProudUSC, that was a great article, thanks for sharing...

Comment

No problemo, Whknapp! Glad you liked it .

Comment

Border Fence construction to begin in 2008

Updated: Dec 27, 2007 04:29 PM PST

(AP) -- It's been a year of protests, outcry, and worry for Texans opposed to a federal plan to build more than 80 miles of steel border fencing along the Rio Grande.

In meeting after meeting, city leaders and residents from Brownsville to El Paso have begged the feds to rethink the fence plans.

Those plans call for 26 sections of 15-foot-high, two- or three-layer fencing that can withstand a hit from a 10,000-pound vehicle going 40 miles per hour.

Despite the pleas, U.S. Homeland Security officials say the fence project should be done by the end of 2008.

Some South Texas residents and elected officials have tried to block the government's progress by refusing to let surveyors come on border properties to look at land that could be the site of new fencing.

Since then, Homeland Security Secretary Michael Chertoff has sent letters to South Texas officials and land owners warning that continuing to refuse access will lead the department to ask for a court order. The letters also allude to the government's plan to use eminent domain if they can't negotiate a deal to buy land.

DEVELOPMENTS TO LOOK FOR IN 2008

The U.S. Department of Homeland Security is making plans to complete the Texas sections of border fencing by the end of 2008. But new legislation easing requirements for specific fencing designs and locations could change the situation.

Developments to look for:

1. Construction is expected to begin in South Texas by spring.

2. Court hearings could start early in the year as federal authorities follow through on threatened legal action to gain access to private land.

3. Leaders in South Texas cities may file countersuits to block federal access.

4. Legislation allowing more local input and easing some fencing requirements could reduce the number of parcels needed for fence construction in Texas.

http://www.team4news.com/Global/stor...1&nav=menu90_3
                          Wolves Travel In Packs

Comment

Your article, as usual, doesn't belong here.

Comment

By John W. Lillpop

"Mexico to use biochip to control illegal immigration," screamed the headline at earthtimes.org. That seemed like another terrific reason to break out the bubbly a bit early.

As if I needed any excuse to imbibe early and often.

Without reading the small print, one could be lulled into assuming that our third-world neighbors were finally getting the message: Illegal aliens from Mexico are most unwelcome in America!

Yahoo! would be an understatement of the reaction from these quarters should Mexico treat America like the world's sole superpower instead of a combination garbage dumpsite and day care center for illiterate peasants.

But, alas, the small print put the cork back in the champagne, for a couple of days anyway.

Turns out the aggressive program for dealing with illegal aliens pertains to foreigners entering Mexico through its southern border. You know, the untouchables from Guatemala that Mexican authorities have zero tolerance for.
                              Earthtime: http://www.earthtimes.org/articles/show/165487.html
                              That means that nothing has changed with regard to Mexico and its citizens intent on leaving Mexico to invade America. The Mexican government continues to hand out Map Quest maps and detailed instructions on how to invade Arizona.

In Spanish, of course.

According to the referenced Earthtime article, in 2006 the Mexican government nabbed 200,000 people trying to invade Mexico.

And how did Mexico handle those 200,000 invaders? Deport them back to Guatemala? Send them to prison to work on chain gangs for years on end?

Yahoo! NOT. Under the leadership of brilliant politicians like Vicente Fox and Felipe Calderon, the 200,000 were sold map quest maps, driven to the Arizona border, and forced to continue their northward journey across U.S. borders.

Incidentally, these are the same dunderhead politicians who threatened to take the U.S. to the United Nations because our government plans to build a border fence on U.S. property, using U.S. treasury!

The really big question for the new year: Are Mexican officials terminally stupid, terminally arrogant, or an ungodly combination of both?
                              Wolves Travel In Packs

Comment

Working...
                              X