Tourist Visa question?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tourist Visa question?

I have a friend in Thailand who is a 2 year medical student in Bangkok. I want her to visit the US during her school break. I know tourist visas are very hard to get, but I have a question. If she gets a letter from her from the University about her intentions to finish the 3 years left for her degree AND I send a letter of invitation, will this be enough for her to get a tourist visa? Any other ideas brfore she applies would be appreciated as well.
    Thanks.......

I have a friend in Thailand who is a 2 year medical student in Bangkok. I want her to visit the US during her school break. I know tourist visas are very hard to get, but I have a question. If she gets a letter from her from the University about her intentions to finish the 3 years left for her degree AND I send a letter of invitation, will this be enough for her to get a tourist visa? Any other ideas brfore she applies would be appreciated as well.
    Thanks.......

Comment

I strongly doubt that will be anything like enough. She'll probably need to prove a lot stronger ties to her country than a letter from her university. U.S. schools are full of students from overseas, so such a letter would really mean nothing in terms of her intent to return. She's also young, which is a big strike against her--fewer ties to prevent her from overstaying. Also, since you're male (?), I'd guess that a letter from you would do more harm than good. It'd raise issues about whether you intend marriage or not.

Comment

We tried a tourist visa for my wife's sister from the Philippines. She was denied as she did not own any real estate in the Philippines or have any substantial savings or other assets in the Philippines. Also she was young (25) and pretty and was not presently employed. We had just had our first child and wanted her to be godmother. We wrote a letter, had a letter from our Catholic priest, had letters from her parents in the Philippines and pretty much they took all of 10 seconds to say no. They didn't even read any of the letters stating the purpose of her visit.

It was just a lot of wasted time, effort & money on our part - It really is a shame that it is impossible for family members to come here to visit their relatives.

The thing that really ticked me off is that the official and the US Embassy in Manilla told me that if the applicant was employed - she would stand a better chance. Well, jobs are very scarce and precious in the Philippines. If this young lady had a job, there would be no way that she could leave that job anyways to make a trip of a month or more. CATCH 22. If you have a job, you have a better chance of getting a tourist visa - but then you will probably lose your job if you take a leave of any length of time to make a trip. If you don't have a job and have time to make a lengthy visit, then you won't get the visa to make the trip. PATHETIC.

Comment

It's not just having a job, but other ties, such as property, spouse and kids, bank accounts, a career--ties that will make you come back. Can you honestly say the person you want to sponsor intends to go back? Or will go back once she's here? If you're not a 100 percent sure, well, the government is required to assume that she won't unless she can prove otherwise.

Comment

ALiba: Yes, I understand the way the policy is written. However, it is clearly an unfair policy towards individuals such as my sister-in-law who does not have substantial assets (very poor individuals) whose true intent is to simply make a once in a lifetime trip to see the world and to visit relatives. The policy in force basically denies the right of these individuals. Yes, she does not have ties to return - but that doesn't mean that she won't. Should she have to get married and pop out some kids in order to make a trip to see her sister and nephew???? Obviously, her economic conditions will not improve in the near future.

Comment

But then, immigration laws aren't written for the benefit of people who want to come here, but for the citizens of the U.S. and their benefit. And your sister has no "right" to visit the U.S., or move here--her admittance is totally at the discretion of the U.S. government on terms they dictate. It's precisely because your would-be visitor is from a poor country with a record of overstays that she's having a hard time getting a visa. Ironically, having relatives here adds to the risk of an overstay. There simply isn't the manpower or the inclination to check out the bonafides of every would-be visitor if they were treated individually. And tell me, just how would YOU prove that she as an individual would go back? Your word? Many other people from Thailand and the Philippines gave their word they'd return, and even showed strong ties, got a visitor's visa, and are still here illegally.

Comment

Would you be willing to put up a bond of literally everything you owned (house, car, etc.) or hope to own to guarantee she would return to her country? Are you willing to take that risk?

Comment

ALiba: Well....again, I understand the way the policy is written and the theory behind it. It just seems unfair that because of other people who have used the tourist visa as a means of gaining entry and never returning that they are now restricting the issuance of these type of visas. It seems kind of discriminating.....I would rather have our government COMPLETELY eliminate these type of visas if they are going to restrict their issuance basically on terms of financial standing.

In regards to your other post, we absolutely would sign and put up a bond guarantying her return. It would seem fair that if US Citizens were willing to go that route that Tourist Visas should be granted. Sorry for my ignorance, but I didn't even know this was a possibility. Is this something that would help?

Comment

If you eliminated the visa, how would rich tourists spend their money at Disneyland?

No. There is no bond for visitor visas.

Comment

It's unfair, yes, but this kind of thing is not limited to immigration. There are always people who take unfair advantage and ruin it for everyone else. I've taught for a number of years, and usually when I try to give my students a break, there's someone who ruins it for everyone.

Comment

Some of the thing that I heard have helped is joining a tourist group (clear description what activity they'll be in the US), some employment/recommendation letter from US companies, letter from congressman/senator,etc,etc,etc.

None of that will guarantees anything though. If the embassy personel is having a bad day, he can just deny it without giving a single reason. I guess such is the advantage of having a job where you practically doesn't have to answer to anyone. I've friends who were trying to get the wife's mother and siblings to come and visit the US. The family back home are pretty well off, not filthy rich, but definitely upper middle class. The couple in the US own their multimillion dollar business and are rich even by US standards. Even with all the documentation they bring, it took the embassy personnel less than a minute to reject them all (including the 60+ year old mother). Simply said the families fit the category. The husband in the US called the embassy and able to speak to the consul or deputy consul or something, and he simply defend his underling decisions. Of course now they're garnering letter of support from the congressman and senator and some other high ranking official in State Dept and DHS. Maybe for once the embassy personel will find out how it feels to be in the other end of the sticks.

Comment

Of course, that family really had better go home or there'll be some very red-faced Congresspeople. On a slightly different topic, Congressmen and celebrities have been known to support asylum seekers such as "Adelaide Abankwah" only to find out they've been conned.

Comment

Personally, I failed to see why the embassy personel would deemed a 60yr old woman as a possible overstay in the US despite the fact she has pretty good life in her own country with significant assets under her name as well. None of her family is in US except for one daughter. Cost of living (they have live in maids for pete's sake) as well as medical care is much higher in the US. Just doesn't make any sense.

Of course act like this is not limited to State Department personnel stationed at embassy. The fiasco known as special registration should still be fresh in BCIS/USCIS memory, where thousands of people got thrown to jail/holding pen despite having legal status, due to inept/incompetent USCIS personnel all over the country. Only after faced with so much scrutiny that the program was suspended. Just like the saying, power corrupts and absolute power corrupt absolutely.

Comment

But then, there are plenty of immigrants whose literal first question here on getting LPR status is "When can I bring my parents over?"
                              And if family ties are so unimportant in immigration decisions, even just having one daughter here, then why do we give family preferences to parents and siblings? And why do immigrants get so insistent about preserving these opportunities to bring extended family?

Comment

Working...
                              X