Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Alternative DMV ID?

Hello,

I received my EAD (work permit), and then I went to apply for SSN. I received my SSN within two weeks. I then went to apply for an ID (aka State ID) at a DMV office.

Two months passed and I didn't receive my ID. I went to the DMV office to ask about it, and was told that since I am not a permanent or citizen, it will take a minimum of 6 months to process.

I am wondering if there is an alternative to a DMV ID? I need some sort of ID so I can go open a bank account and work. I don't want to wait until around the end of 2004, I need to work now.

It's ridiculous how you get your SSN within 2 weeks, and identification isn't issued. I totally believe now that America tortures immigrants in any way possible. You get happy when you get your EAD, SSN, but then to have proper legal identification... BAM!

Hello,

I received my EAD (work permit), and then I went to apply for SSN. I received my SSN within two weeks. I then went to apply for an ID (aka State ID) at a DMV office.

Two months passed and I didn't receive my ID. I went to the DMV office to ask about it, and was told that since I am not a permanent or citizen, it will take a minimum of 6 months to process.

I am wondering if there is an alternative to a DMV ID? I need some sort of ID so I can go open a bank account and work. I don't want to wait until around the end of 2004, I need to work now.

It's ridiculous how you get your SSN within 2 weeks, and identification isn't issued. I totally believe now that America tortures immigrants in any way possible. You get happy when you get your EAD, SSN, but then to have proper legal identification... BAM!

Comment

Yes--wouldn't it be wonderful to have a national ID so we wouldn't have to deal with all these inconsistent rules and formats which vary from state to state?

Comment

You can work if you show your work permit and Social Security card.

You can open a bank account, the most they will ask from you is 2 forms of identification, thus EAD and you have your passport, right?

Comment

I don't have any form of proper identification. I don't have a passport either. I am one of those cases whose parent overstayed the tourist visa. I was five when I entered the US.

Comment

work permit and SS card, that's PLENTY of PROPER identification. what are you talking about?

If you want more, get something like an international travelers permit, such as ISIC, it comes at aprox $20 and it's a picture ID.

Comment

I think what is needed is proof of my residence (as in my home). I called three different banks several weeks ago and they told me they require proof. An employer will also need such proof.

That's why I am looking for a legal ID (THAT IS ACCEPTABLE EVERYWHERE) that shows my name, age, address, phone, etc.

Will the international travelers permit show that? If so, will I qualify for that? I am not a "traveler."

Comment

Get a passport issued by your country. You can go directly to the Consulate within the USA.

Really simple buddy.

Comment

I came here from Israel (non-Jew), so I don't think I can easily get one. Besides, I've been here since I was five, I don't think they will give me such a document.

However, if you can tell me it doesn't take long, I will try to see if I can get one. If it takes several months like DMV, then I would just rather wait for the DMV.

Comment

By the way, does a passport show your home address?

Comment

You should be able to obtain a Passport from Israel. It does NOT matter if you were 5 when you left. Bottom line you are from Israel, right? Go to http://www.israelemb.org/ and look under 'Consular Services'

Usually a Passport will not have a home address listed (only biographic data).

Comment

Thanks for your suggestion, but what I really need is a document showing my home address, etc. Like I said I am looking for a DMV ID alternative. So a DMV ID is the only place? :\

Guess I have no choice. ****, I still can't believe this. I proved my legal status, what more do they want?!

Comment

(Just a note I didn't use the F word above, it was Da--)

Comment

heyy gYrl....where do u live i may be able to help you out...email me at rndiva21@aol.com
                            Yes your passpor does have your home address on it....email me and i will see what i can do for you

Comment

Umm, I think you have mistaken me for someone else. I am not a girl.

I think I'm going to contact the Consulate and ask if my home address could be included. But I just checked it out and it costs $50. Wow.

Comment

Working...
                              X