Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• To use a lawyer or not?

Hi everyone,

I've already stated this in another thread, but just to refresh... I am Canadian citizen married to an American citizen. We are going to be putting through my application for my K-3 Visa and Green Card etc.

I would like to know if it's necessary to use a lawyer to go through this process, or if we can just do it ourselves? Basically, is a lawyer recommended or not?
    **If you used a lawyer/didn't use a lawyer, please share.
    Any advice or comments are welcome.

Thanks in advance.

Hi everyone,

I've already stated this in another thread, but just to refresh... I am Canadian citizen married to an American citizen. We are going to be putting through my application for my K-3 Visa and Green Card etc.

I would like to know if it's necessary to use a lawyer to go through this process, or if we can just do it ourselves? Basically, is a lawyer recommended or not?
    **If you used a lawyer/didn't use a lawyer, please share.
    Any advice or comments are welcome.

Thanks in advance.

Comment

Dear Butterfly

I rather let you answer this question yourself after reading the procedures you will go through, using the hlep of this web site:

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/in...om&page=k3flow

then you will be able to know where you stand.

hiring a lawyer has many advantages and disadvangages, my own experience with my lawyer was very hard, she was very experienced but she gave me the hard time, I felt that I was pushing a car with 4 flat tyres. many promises and many breaking for them, many times I went to her office according to an appointment she herself set for me and then after I reached her office (which is very far from me) she was not there or left a little note that she is sorry that she had an emergency. the best time I met her when I paid her the first time, some of her fees.

She was hard on me, sorry for the coincidence, I do not mean any thing more than just advising you, but she was canadian american.

The only advantage about of hiring a lawyer that they know exactly the rules, but they have other cases not only yours, I can say that they can make you extremely willing to take care of your case yourself after you run out of patience.

My advice, if you are able to read and understand the forms yourself and have patience to read each item and take your time with it you better do it yourself. let us wait for other posters advices

Comment

Did it myself, agree with the above poster.

Not difficult, plenty of resources, just a bit painful if you do not like filling in forms.

Comment

i am us citizen married to canadian..we are in us..we used a canadian atty. for $5K cad, and although they turned out to be real ****s, the paper work they filled out and lists they sent us made all the difference. we literally tried for 8 months to do it our selves, just too difficult

Comment

Thanks to all for the advice... you are being a great help to me!

I would love to hear more from anyone who has gone through this process and about your experiences with/without using a lawyer...

So far, still trying to figure out what we want to do...

Thanks again.

Comment

Go to Visajourney

Review what you have to do

Decide if you can do it, not everybody can/wants to.

Make your choice.

Comment

We are using a laywer and so far are happy with the work she has done for us.

I am sure we could have done it ourselves, but the peace of mind knowing that all the forms have been filed correctly is worth the cost.

Also I feel that having had her do the filing helps take the worry out of waiting for replies, ya know, when ya waiting for a reply and just wondering if you filed correctly !!

Bottom line.. IMO worth getting proffesional help, this is one of the BIGGEST things you will ever do, make sure its done right.

Comment

You can find legal help with K1, K3 and A djustment of status and on this site: www.USImmigrationForAll.com

All the best whatever your path will be!
                  Frank G. Becker & Associates
                  www.USImmigrationForAll.com

Comment

Please do not spam this forum.

Comment

Well I am not against lawyer, sorry to say that they take two many cases which they can not handle nor the staff members.

I have done for many of my friends family paper work, just need to read questions, and you will be able to do it.

On this board you will also find more help then any lawyer.
                      Collect all the Forms and ask this board for any assistance,

Comment

if you just hate money, by all means, engage the 'services' of some immigration attorney...however, if your case has no complications (no immigration law violations) you and your husband can fill out the papers in less then 45 minutes, send them via normal mail and save several thousand dollars....remember, immigration attorneys have NO authority or power over the process, they cannot 'speed things up' -- no matter what they tell you...and, they still want their outrageous fee (for doing nothing) no matter if you get the visa or not....

Comment

I suppose that's true, that a lawyer can't really speed up the process for you... and doing it yourself probably gives you the same chances of getting it as when a lawyer does it for you.

Ya...Since my case isn't complicated I think we just might do it ourselves. And we'll have sites like this one to help us along the way, so that should make the process easier for us, hopefully.

We do have a "good faith" marriage, and tons of stuff to show for it, so it should all go ok.

Thanks again guys for the advice!

Canadian_Butterfly

Comment

You really need to read visajourney.com
                            this will make the steps easier for you, there is a guide and then a flow chart to any kind of visa. simply in K3 visas
                            the american citizen will file I 130 then
                            I 129F ( which takes short time to be answered) then other steps will be smooth. just be on this forum and review other people experience, it will help you a lot
                            Now, I suggest that you read visajourney.com and see the flow chart for K3 visa, I sent you the web site before. Good luck

Comment

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by said:
                              You really need to read visajourney.com
                              this will make the steps easier for you, there is a guide and then a flow chart to any kind of visa. simply in K3 visas
                              the american citizen will file I 130 then
                              I 129F ( which takes short time to be answered) then other steps will be smooth. just be on this forum and review other people experience, it will help you a lot
                              Now, I suggest that you read visajourney.com and see the flow chart for K3 visa, I sent you the web site before. Good luck </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yes, thank you for the link.
                              I have checked out that site and it too is very helpful! Between the two, I'm really hoping that I'll be able to do this without a lawyer. At least I'm going to try!

Thanks again!
                              Canadian_Butterfly

Comment

Working...
                              X