drivers licence/ssn verification

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• drivers licence/ssn verification

I received a letter from DMV to verify my SSN. As a Canadian here in the US on business I do not have a SSN. DMV and SSA advises I get an I-94.
    Can someone help me.
    Thanks

Why are you applying for a license here? If you are in the US short term, you should be using your Canadian license. If you are here for a prolonged period, you should have a visa that allows you to get an SSN. A visa is required if you are in the US over 180 days (or are doing anything not allowed for B1/B2 visa holders). Canadians need visas because they are not US citizens.

Comment

I too am from Canada,,,, and have attempted to get an Nevada drivers licence, the responses that i received from the dmv are,,,, with out a SS# or paper work form the INS, they will not issue a drivers licence nor a state id card

Comment

Still using your Canadian licence?

Comment

make one up. They don't check.

-= nav =-

Comment

Make up what?

Comment

So he can be nailed for fraud? Its one thing for illegals who got nothing to lose to do it.

Question remain, why do you need a US Driver license?

Comment

Yes, I am still using my BC licence until the required forms are obtained from INS, and at this point will mirror marmaduk's question, if you are only here for business and not looking to make it permanent,,,, why worry about getting a US licence?

My question is: What kinda advice is that to give,,,,,"make one up"????? Guess it is one of those things that make a level headed person go hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

Comment

I would not recomend that you "make one up". In the old U.S. they never used to check. Now it is a widespread practice for MV agencies to crosscheck their records against SSA, and further to issue orders for arrests for "Obtaining property by false pretenses" or other chargesof fraud for those that do not match. Remember that the rules have changed since 9/11?

If you are here on a non-immigrant basis, you are not required to get a local DL.

Comment

Far from it.

There even a few states don't even require a SSN.

California is notorious for illegals using fake SSN #'s and card's and borrowing relatives SSN numbers. Not a single person has been arrested yet, cuz the sheer amount of SSN fraud in the database would be flabbergasting if INS and DMV even attempted to enforce it.

-= nav =-

Comment

I have a question, surely if they are borrowing other family members ssn and cards would this not show up somewhere that there is already a DL under that number? for a ID is there not a fingerprint check done? is it really that easy to walk into the DMV and walk out again with either a DL or ID?

Comment

yes.

Do you really think all those illegals in la are just taking the bus or driving w/o licenses?

Every illegal i know has got a ca dl.

As for car insurance. That's a different matter.

-= nav =-

Comment

It may be true that CA has not begun checking... yet. HOwever my state has begun checking, and many other states are beginning as well. Imagine being brought up on criminal charges eight years from now just to make a stupid mistake like that? Besides, we don't know that this applicant is in CA. (BTW- I know many aliens in CA< and they have *not* been able to get their licenses, so I suppose I will refer them to you for help...)

Comment

I should add- the original post says "The DMV is asking to verify my SSN". I say he should jsut resond that he has no SSN. That is fine. OR, if he prefers, he could say that he prefers not to answer the question. Many states will, on privacy principles, allow an applicant to not divulge hios SSN. I am jjust saying that it would be a very poor idea to lie.

And no- fingerprinting and criminal background checks are not typical in any state. They do check for revocations in other states.

Comment

Ca *is* getting pretty hardcore now.

When I went for my DL this year, they took my pic, asked for SSN *AND* took my fingerprints.

I'm surprised they didn't ask me to pee in a cup too.

That is one hell of a master database on everyone they are collecting. If all 50 states link up together -- pretty much the government has tabs on every human being in this country from photo, fingerprint, name, driving history, address, ssn and height/weight. Scary.

-= nav =-

Comment

Working...
                              X