applying twice for AOS

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• applying twice for AOS

Is there a law against applying twice for AOS.
    We have applied in 2003, been to interview in 2005, since then no response, this type of case takes about 5-8 month nowdays.
    Anyone similar experiences?

Is there a law against applying twice for AOS.
    We have applied in 2003, been to interview in 2005, since then no response, this type of case takes about 5-8 month nowdays.
    Anyone similar experiences?

Comment

l

Comment

why not inquire for the last one first before applying another? INFO PASS required.
        Its a discussion, not a legal advise..

Comment

hi amarles,

I read your stories. At frist I thought they lost your file, but you said your file had been transfered to the main office from local office. So they have your file. How did you find about being transfered?

I have read similar stories. The couple waited over 3 years and had a congress man involved with the case. As soon as congress man contact immigration, the couple got called for 2nd interview (separted interview). You can also wirte a letter to the director of the main office.

Comment

The couple tried InfoPass many times for years. Everytime they asked for updating, the person at the window told them just wait another 6 months.

Comment

Have you had any communication with USCIS since the interview? Went to your local office?

I think it would be a good idea to find out what's going on with your old petition first. Applying again may confuse already confused USCIS.

Comment

in info pass person specifically ask to talk with superiors. becasue Priority date is already pass. Answer to 6 month wait is not the right answer, one should not stasify with that.
                Make sure who is working on this case and what was the last action taken.
                Its a discussion, not a legal advise..

Comment

myumyu,
                  every information I have is from calling USCIS 800 #, and evry time I have different responses.
                  My last call, and believe me I call every month at least, I was told that the file wasn't in Nebraska at all.
                  Infopass is just useless, last time we were told that the officer had not make a decision, we asked what is the maximum for officer to make a decision and were told there isn't any deadline. I thought, great, next 20 yrs they won't make a decision.
                  Anyway, I asked here on the forum about a letter to senator, and I was helped, this is something we will do, but I was just curious what happens if I apply again, maybe we get lucky and I get my GC finally. I mean we know people that came here 2 yrs ago, got married and already have their GC. We are married for 4 yrs., and I did come to the states many years ago with my whole family.

Comment

aneri,
                    I am on the phone and regular walk ins to the local office and I just hear different stories every time.
                    last week my husband went by himself, and didn't get information at all.

Comment

Anyone who might know, please tell me if we get punished for applying again the same paperwork?
                      Thanks for all input.

Comment

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by amarles:
                        Anyone who might know, please tell me if we get punished for applying again the same paperwork?
                        Thanks for all input. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Well, depends what you mean by punished... Here is one scenario: USCIS will most likely dicover that there is another petition pending in your name, and pull the new one out of the normal "processing line" to investigate what's going on. You don't want to be "taken out" for what-so-ever reason as that always causes delays.

I don't know if there are any legal obstacles for applying twice..

I do think you should contact your congressman and enlist his help first.

Comment

aneri,

will do, thank you for your response.

Comment

As far as my understanding goes, you can't have two I-485s pending. You don't say what your location is, but some offices take much longer than others to finalise cases. If you simply can't wait or if you feel that your case has long exceeded thos from the same processing location, I'd speak with an immigration attorney to enquire of the possibility of a Writ of Mandamus.
                            The above is simply an opinion. Your mileage may vary. For immigration issues, please consult an immigration attorney.

Comment

sappyconifer,
                              thank you for your input.
                              the location is chicago.
                              yes, it is way beyod processing times.
                              my attorney when we hired him more than a year ago, said this case wouldn't take more than a month for him to finalize therefore wanted us to pay up front everything, we did.
                              since then a year passed, we have received numerour invoices from him for his assistant's infopass inquires. he does not think writing the writ of m. is necessary. we will write a letter to congressman on our own is our next step. also another one to the director of chicago's ins location. hopefully we will be called for a second interview which we are ready for or this case finalizes soon.

Comment

Home Page

Immigration Daily

Archives

Processing times

Immigration forms

Discussion board

Resources

Blogs

Twitter feed

Immigrant Nation

Attorney2Attorney