1R1-Spouse USA C now Widowed

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1R1-Spouse USA C now Widowed

I was unable to attend final interview in Montreal (lived on West Coast) because they scheduled it a few days before Christmas (too expensive to get there). Sad to say my husband was killed in USA before I could be interviewed. I was advised file died when he did. AT NO time when I consulted with INS staff in person or on telephone did anyone tell me about widows petition. Two year time limit has elapsed and I am sole parent of USA citizens. Now that shock has worn off what are my options!

I was unable to attend final interview in Montreal (lived on West Coast) because they scheduled it a few days before Christmas (too expensive to get there). Sad to say my husband was killed in USA before I could be interviewed. I was advised file died when he did. AT NO time when I consulted with INS staff in person or on telephone did anyone tell me about widows petition. Two year time limit has elapsed and I am sole parent of USA citizens. Now that shock has worn off what are my options!

Comment

At the time that your spouse died were you married to him for 2 years? This is extremely important. If you were even one day shy of two years answer no to my question.

Comment

we were married 17 years.....i was only non usa citizen in the family waiting to move when he was killed.

Comment

since you have been married to him for more than two years, you can apply with the widow's petition. That's why Bronze lady was asking, and I am sure she'll give you the details.

Sorry about your husband.

Comment

spousal application was started in july 98 and interview was to be few days before christmas 99. I was advised numerous times that application died when he did. He died 2000 even though I had made numerous enquiries during the year following his death NO ONE at INS (either from my personal visits or by phone) advised me of the widows petition. I only just found out about it last week by an INS supervisor. Now what can I do since it is now 4 years since his passing. I have not remarried. Is there a a waiver or something I can ask for to waive the ''window'' of 2 years only?

Comment

Should I apply and then when it is rejected appeal it????

Comment

should i just move where i wanna in usa and then apply -- both kids will be attending school.

Comment

Does the 2 years of mtl marriage still apply today?
                  Last edited by jaydenmtl; 11-14-2018, 11:10 AM.

Comment

At the time that your spouse died were you married to him for 2 years?

Comment

Working...
                    X