No announcement yet.

Please help: my ex got permanent residency through me..

  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Please help: my ex got permanent residency through me..

    Hello all,
    I've recently divorced and my ex got his permanent residency(I think he has the permanent green card) through me and we were married for 3yrs.
    How can I take the green card from him, or at least make it non permanent so he cannot get his U.S citizenship?
    He hurt me emotionally and neglected me so much and I suspect he only married me (but I have no proof) so he can get his brothers to the US and help them make money off of me.
    Now he has a good paying job and I've got nothing, no job (I'm a recent graduate and have been looking for a job for so long), no alimony. I have a child to support too, while he's using the green card he got from me to make thousands of dollars (and he's taking unemployment benefits too, illegally)
    I don't know who to turn to as all the people who I know know him also and I don't want him to suspect anything until I actually do erase his permanent or semipermanent resideny.
    Please help.
    I'm clueless as to the procedures of doing this.
    Any help would be very much appreciated.
    Thank you.

  • #2

    It's not possible to erase his residency just like that. If you were on the other side of the fence, you'd appreciate that. If you suspect he married you only for immigration benefit, why didn't you do something about it earlier?
    The above is simply an opinion. Your mileage may vary. For immigration issues, please consult an immigration attorney.


    • #3
      go to school and get yourself a job.

      Get rid of that leech or tick mentality.


      • #4
        Dear imsad,

        If your ex has received his permanent resident card, there is very little you can do. If I'm reading your information correctly, the two of you were married for three years. You need to post more specific information, such as what type of visa he entered the country with and if he had conditional residency and those conditions have been removed?

        Unfortunately, you will find that you are not the only women to be used for a green card, your's truly not excluded. There are many scumbags who are more than willing to make you believe they love you just long enough to get in the US and then they change. It sounds like your ex stayed long enough to seal the deal.

        I am sorry this happened to you and sincerely wish (if he did in fact use you) that you could take his green card away, but it's not that easy.

        I'm sure other members will offer advice as well.

        Good luck!


        • #5
          I'm a graduate and looking for a job.
          If you do not have anything beneficial to say, don't say anything.


          • #6
            dear Sappyconifer,
            My divorce was finalized a month ago, so he was legally my husband before that. That is why I couldn't show any proof that we were divorced.
            Thanks for the help!


            • #7
              Dear bigdummy (sorry!!! I wish I knew you real name to call you by it),
              Thanks for all the help and wishes!Bless you.
              He "claimed" he entered with a 5 yr visa. However by the time we were married, he was 3 yrs in the US and illegal because he didn't renew his visa.
              He "claims" he got permanent residency (can you believe he NEVER showed me his greencard or anything? he was so secretive), but I dont know how to find out.
              If he has permanent residency, will the divorce never allow him to have a US citizenship?
              How do I do this?
              If he's only a temporary resident, can I stop his "pending" and stop him from getting a residency? How?
              Thanks so much for any help.


              • #8
                He could only gain residency through you and your marriage. What forms do you recall sending to USCIS for him and were you interviewed as a married couple?
                The above is simply an opinion. Your mileage may vary. For immigration issues, please consult an immigration attorney.


                • #9
                  I don't mind being called bigdummy because that's what I was when it came to my ex.

                  Did you file any petitions for him based on your marriage?


                  • #10
                    Dear Sappyconifer,
                    He filed an immigration form through marriage.
                    I dont recall it's number (because he kept it secretly locked!)
                    Yes, I went with him to the interview as a married couple, a year and a half after we were married.

                    Dear bigdummy,
                    What do you mean by filing a petition? Do you mean filling out the info and request for a green card through me? He did that himself and he hired a lawyer and I went with him.

                    Thanks for all the help guys!


                    • #11
                      The purpose of the USCIS is not to help people get back at the ex's.

                      So many people want to help the poor alien "beat the system" not taking into account what kind of person really wants to do such a thing in the first place. Then they are surprised when the person turns out to be an a-hole. They then have the unmittigated gaul to then ask the same system they helped the alien "beat" to help them beat the alien.


                      • #12
                        Can you provide dates, years, months for us?
                        The above is simply an opinion. Your mileage may vary. For immigration issues, please consult an immigration attorney.


                        • #13
                          Dear Sugarpuff,
                          Thanks for the info.
                          I know that you can take away the green card or at least the permanency of it being tranfered to citizenship.
                          At this current moment, my ex has no right to have a citizenship, since if he doesn't yet have the PR, he'll get it while being divorced.
                          Also, he will take the US citizenship benefit while the marriage is already dissolved.
                          How do I notify the INS (or whoever takes care of such things)that we are divorced?
                          thanks so much.


                          • #14
                            Yes, by filing a petition I meant completing an application for immigration status. It seems you allowed your husband to guide you through the process and he did exactly what he needed to do. I'm sure with the help of an attorney and the fact that you willing went along to the interview, your husband has his green card and my advise to you is just let it go.

                            Please trust me on this. I know you are hurt, mad, shocked, angry and feel that he used you. All of these emotions are natural and you should be feeling these. However, you can't take his green card away. It isn't yours. He married you and you married him, the two of you lived together as husband and wife for three years. You will never know what his true intentions were. By obsessing about this, you will only hurt yourself.

                            My situation is different in that I did all the paperwork and my ex husband was never granted conditional residency, we never went for the interview and since he came to the USA on a fiance visa, the USCIS rules state that he must return to his home country. His petition for AOS, adjustment of status was still pending when our marriage fell apart, so I went to the district USCIS office to withdraw the affidavit of support in hopes that his AOS would be denied and I wouldn't be financially responsible for his lazy a$$. Our marriage lasted about six months, eight from beginning to finalization of divorce. Even with this, he is still living and working in the US. I have done everything that I know to do and he's still here. You could say he got the best of me in many aspects. I feel defeated and helpless, while he is living the American dream. There is nothing that would make me happier than for him to be deported, but I can't make that happen. Believe me if wanting it and contacting government officials would make it happen, he would have been gone months ago.

                            I don't know if you are ready to hear what I've said, but I sincerely hope that you will not let him consume you the way I did/have. You can read posts from others on this board and see what pain many of us have gone through because of our failed marriages.


                            • #15
                              YOU CALL YOURSELF AN AMERICAN?!! You should know that Immigration will DO NOTHING !!
                              Go the American way ! SUE !!!! Take him to court and SUE for fraud. SUE SUE SUE !!!! See a lawyer and SUE !!!!!
                              SHOW HIM WHAT A TRUE AMERICAN IS ABOUT !!!!

                              BIGDUMMY - Just because he lives and works here doesnt mean he has a green card; anyone can overstay a visa; the real trophy is the green card so I think you did beat him on that score and have nothing to fret about.

                              There are three stages to green card through marriage:

                              Before Conditional Green Card - They are at your mercy; a divorce at this point will destroy their chances for the holy grail (green card)

                              Conditional Green Card - Given about 2-3 years after marriage - Once they get this, it is almost impossible to get it revoked; after 2 years they apply for removal of conditions which by all accounts is very easy to do even with divorce and a mountain of evidence; however it will cost them $2000-$5000 in legal fees and cause sleepless nights and fear; I have never heard of a case where they did not succeed- If married more than 2 years skip this step; it becomes non conditional

                              Non Conditional Green Card - After conditions are removed or if married more than 2 years at the time of the interview, it is non conditional and there is nothing anyone can do.

                              Examples of people they can not deport:
                              1) Mass murderers
                              2) Rapists
                              3) Organized Crime members
                              4) Liberals

                              If they won't deport these savages, they will not deport anyone