Adjustment of status/social security

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Adjustment of status/social security

I 've been working without permission with my social security number, and now I am ready for adjustment of status. Should I put the number on the aplication? An attorney told me not to, but since I was married once, my divorce decree has my number in it. Will they pay attention to that? Please somebody help...

I 've been working without permission with my social security number, and now I am ready for adjustment of status. Should I put the number on the aplication? An attorney told me not to, but since I was married once, my divorce decree has my number in it. Will they pay attention to that? Please somebody help...

Comment

I'm not an attorney, but it seems likely to me that at some point in the adjustment process, you will be asked if you've worked or how you supported yourself. You've apparently worked, possibly with the social security number, and there is a paper trail. To lie by omission is still lying, and could get you into bigger trouble later on. From what I've read, how the authorities view working illegally will to some extent depend on how you're adjusting. If you're married to a U.S. citizen and adjusting that way, posts suggest that working illegally is "forgiven" by immigration authorities as long as taxes are paid.

Comment

Working...
      X