Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• affidavit of support

bronzelady
    i would like to find out if the affidavit of support (I-864) expires and how long is it valid if one files an affidavit of support with all the needed evidence

eddy

bronzelady
    i would like to find out if the affidavit of support (I-864) expires and how long is it valid if one files an affidavit of support with all the needed evidence

eddy

Comment

It doesn't expire, per say. If, however, you file one with an AOS application you may be asked to provide an updated one at the interview (to make sure the person is still willing to sponsor you). If you are asking me how long it is legally binding (to the extent that it is legally binding) that is until the sponsored person works 40 quarters (10 years). 40 quarters total it doesn't have to be 40 quarters after getting a green card.

Comment

If someone files an affidavit of support and the person doesn't actually get an interview until a year later, what is the liklihood that they will be asked to update it? What if they no longer meet the income qualifications?
        Have a nice day

Comment

Yes, they will probably be asked to update it. If they don't meet the income requirements they better get a joint sponsor.

Comment

If someone meets the requirements for the latest year but not for the previous two, does it make a difference. For example, if the person was a student for the previous two years but has since graduated and began working full time.
            Have a nice day

Comment

The officer will not require a co-sponsor if you meet the minimum income requirements at the time of the interview, even if you didn't meet it for the past 3 years.

Karim

Comment

Thanks. If the alien spouse is on the income tax returns (filed jointly using an ITIN), can his income be counted?
                Have a nice day

Comment

Working...
                X