Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• senators stike deal on immigration overhaul

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20070517/...ation_congress

http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20070517/ts_nm/usa_immigrati....mGho3bhWkt22IGMwfIE

Didn't expect them to be able to enforce the "return to home country" requirement, but looks like they did. The education points is another bonus.
    Now, we'll see what the House will do.

Comment

It wont work the people wont leave the U.S without an abosolute guarantee of Z visa status which will not be given. It wont work.

Comment

please explain this

The proposal would limit family-based migration to immediate family members and establish a merit-based system by which future migrants could earn points for skills, education, understanding of English and family ties.

i really do not understand it.

Comment

You can get the visa right upfront. What is not clear is that within the 8 years window given to apply for perm residency, can you travel to other countries back and forth before returning to your home country?

Comment

does it help the family unity or give priority to the worker based visa? my case is K3 and it is pending admin. processing since 10 monthes. i need to know it will help or focus on worker visa?

Comment

By design, it shouldn't take precedence over those whose already in queue, but I doubt it. One thing for sure, it'll lengthen processing time for all visa categories.

Comment

Does it affect US citizens sponsor their parents ? From the language of various news I read, it looks like only "immediate family" (e.g spouses and children) are un affected.
                If it takes longer or impossible for US citizen to sponsor their parents, then this is a really sad news.

Comment

The filthy red menace has infiltrated DC.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">"This is a bill where people who live here in our country will be treated without amnesty but without animosity," Bush said. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Dubya proves once again, that any moron can be President.

Death to the filthy reds! They don't give a tinker's d/a/m/n about anyone or anything but their own political careers.

Comment

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by andy:
                    Does it affect US citizens sponsor their parents ? From the language of various news I read, it looks like only "immediate family" (e.g spouses and children) are un affected.
                    If it takes longer or impossible for US citizen to sponsor their parents, then this is a really sad news. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Sadly, it appears that these so-called compromise will punish legal family based immigrants even worse. Oh's website indicates that 4 family based category will be eliminated, and it'll set a cap of 40,000 and 87,000 per fiscal year for the parents of USC and children & spouse of LPR. It did state that 440,000 visas will be allocated to solve the backlog though.
                    Border Security and Immigration Reform Act of 2007

Need more info on these so-called merit-based system in which employment-based green card will be based on.

Comment

I know this will probably provoke a backlash, but in my opinion... The US has to do what is right for America, those immigrants granted the PRIVILEGE of working/living in the US HAS to be based on the contribution those immigrants can make to America, not solely for the benefit of the immigrant.

Family based immigration should be uncapped for immediate family, husbands, wives and minor children NEED to be together to function as a family unit, I don't believe this extends to parents family units function perfectly well without the need for the parents to immigrate too, either the parents, or the immigrants can travel to visit each other and modern technology makes it easy to keep in touch with less immediate family. There has to be a line drawn somewhere and no matter where that line is drawn, it is going to upset someone.

Comment

"Family based immigration should be uncapped for immediate family, husbands, wives and minor children NEED to be together to function as a family unit, I don't believe this extends to parents family units function perfectly well without the need for the parents to immigrate too, either the parents, or the immigrants can travel to visit each other and modern technology makes it easy to keep in touch with less immediate family."

This is a typical, ignorant, and self-absorbed perspective, and one I'm sure many Americans, including our "honorable" Congressmen share. It's also absolutely wrong, and cruel, and believe me, if YOUR aging parents were left alone and helpless to fend for themselves halfway around the world, you'd feel differently.

This legislation, if it goes through, will destroy my family. I am a USC, born and bred, of white, Scotts-Irish background, I'm as American as they come. But it appears, from America's viewpoint, I made a serious mistake...I fell in love with and married a foreigner, specifically from Japan.

My wife is an only child, her father is in his mid-70's, now retired, and completely alone, her mother having died years ago. She is in the painful process of GIVING UP HER JAPANESE CITIZENSHIP in order to naturalize here so that she can petition for him to come live with us in his dottage.

What happens now? What becomes of a man who has given more money to this ungrateful, xenophobic country of fearful bigots than most US Citizens will in their entire lives? He is well-off, and being an only child, my wife has benefitted from his generosity GREATLY over the 10+ years she has lived in the U.S. He has paid (IN CASH MIND YOU) for new cars for her, including, in the last four years, a brand new Escalade, Touareg, VW Beetle, Acura, and Explorer, one after the other. He has POURED TENS of THOUSANDS of dollars into this economy through her purchase of obscenely expensive designer clothes, purses, sunglasses, you name it.

And now he's not considered worthy to live here it seems. A fine country we are making indeed. What happens to him when he can no longer take care of himself, and that day is coming...to whom does an old man with no relatives save one daughter who will now be legally PREVENTED from helping him turn in his last years of frailty?

The result of this legislation is, my wife will be forced to leave me, return to Japan, and take care of him. I may never see her again. The only other option is for her to let her father DIE IN THE STREET like an abandoned stray. Our government, in its infinite hypocrisy, claims to value "family". Why, "family values" are so important that, in the midst of a reprise of the Vietnam debacle, we needed to have a national debate about whether to amend the Constitution to ban *** marriage...But I can say with near certainty, here's one family that will be torn apart by the very government that claims to act in support of families.

To all of you who identify with the view expressed by Eeyore, I ask you to honestly think for one minute about your mother, your father. I know for some it's an impossible task to consider that people from other countries have feelings, a soul, the same yearnings and intrinsic human value that Americans have, but try. Imagine your father as an old and frail man, imagine your mother sick, weak, unable to live on their own. Now imagine OUR federal government prohibiting you from caring for them, removing them far from any relatives, and leaving them to die alone. How would you feel if you were PREVENTED from helping them by your own government?

America ****s, and it's getting worse, sadly. We didn't used to ****, once we were the best place to be in the recorded history of the world. This is the aftermath of September 11th, Osama and the terrorists will win, they will destroy this country, not by military might, not by invasion and conquest, not even by loss of economic power and influence, but rather by loss of our souls. We have truly lost sight of what made us great.

Alexis de Tocqueville once said "America is great because America is good. If America ceases to be good, America will cease to be great." We have lost our way, and we are on the road to irrelevance as a result.

This legislation, and its effects, are not good. We would help some immigrants, and in exchange feel it necessary to harm others. How did it come to this?

Comment

In my opinion, this bill is geared mostly toward the illegal Hispanic population. After all, they are the majority. That it is not a family friendly bill bothers me too. I haven't read all contents yet, but from what I've seen about the new visa for illegal immigrants and guest worker program, we're only opening up the gates for more fraud.

No, Blacksword, they weren't considering all of the legal immigrants and their various situations when they came up with this bill.

Comment

Actually ProudUSC, I think they did took that into consideration and they're purposedly doing this to satisfy the anti-illegals crowd by toughening immigration regulation on both the illegal side (strict border control and employment) as well as the legal side (family and employment based immigration). The end resul t is aimed to stem down the flood of immigration toward the US.

If people in Blacksword's situation are forced to go home, then they'll argue its their own choosing. If their relatives tried to enter illegally, they'll be caught by the supposedly stricter border control and immigration enforcement. As it has been the case lately, legal immigrants are once again being shoved aside in favor of the illegals. I'll be naive to dismiss the notion that this is not for the fact that most illegals are hispanic, and hispanic support are mostly sought after in the political arena now.

As counter argument for Eeyore, why would US took in an illegal family of 6 that would burden the taxpayer more, instead of Blacksword's in-law who's not only self-sufficient, but contributes greatly to the govt next round of free spending?

Comment

Working...
                            X