Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I just married a Japanese on a student visa...

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I just married a Japanese on a student visa...

I am an US citizen.
    She is a Japanese citizen on a student visa.

What do i need to do next?
    What forms and how much time will it take for her to be able to travel again to visit her family or for us to travel abroad?

Any help would be great!

yoshi

I am an US citizen.
    She is a Japanese citizen on a student visa.

What do i need to do next?
    What forms and how much time will it take for her to be able to travel again to visit her family or for us to travel abroad?

Any help would be great!

yoshi

Comment

She needs to fill out a I-485, I-131 and I-765.

Comment

If you have not done so yet, make sure that she signs a marital agreement. Make sure that she promises to pay you back any money that she gets from you. I reccomend that you do NOT lend her ANY money at all. Make sure that the agreement is translated into her language and that she signs it with a notary witness. No ALIMONY, NO DIVISION OF ASSETS, NO NOTHING !!!

Do not proceed ith ANY immigration paperwork until you are legally protected.

Take your time with the paperwork and stretch it out as long as possible. You should have waited to marry her until her student visa expired.

Comment

Hi!
          Go to BCIS website and you'll see FAQ (frequently asked questions).One of the questions on the list is about Adjustment of status or AOS. Your wife needs to file AOS.

You can request forms from BCIS or print them. There are specific fees required for certain forms. You will also need supporting documents when you apply for AOS. Details about the AOS prcoess is in the BCIS website.

Briefly, you, (the USC husband) have to file petition for your alien spouse (I-130) and your wife (Japanese, with non-immigrant visa, F1 visa, I assume) should file AOS using form I-485. She can also apply for work permit (I-765) & advance parole to travel while her AOS is pending (I-131).

I hope these info helps. Good luck in your application.

Comment

PCR,

I guarantee that your info really heop Yoshi, because I started with that two just few months ago.

By the way, can you help answer my question.
            I filed the AOS without I-131 in the last few months (end of July.)
            Should I file it for travelling home because my wife and I are planning to visit our home in the next Summer?
            What are the cases/benefits related to I131?

Thanks PCR.
            Ntique

Comment

Hi! ntique

I did not file for I-131 while my AOS is pending, so I'm not familiar with it. All I know is that it is needed to be able to re-enter the USA.
              here's a website that may be able to answer your questions:
              http://www.foreignborn.com/visas_imm...reentry_us.htm

Comment

So how do we know if the case is pending?

Comment

PCR,

I just got my initial interview notice in the mail today for December. I will be in the Los Angeles Office. Is it the usual interview every body talks about?

What should I start preparing now? Learning?

Can you give me some ideas, buddy?

Ntique

Comment

Working...
                  X