Please, I need some direction

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Please, I need some direction

My wife is an American citizen and I am a Canadian. We have been married for 4 years (and lived in Canada).
    She decided she wanted to move to Las Vegas and I drove her and with our possessions. I had intended to return to Canada while she filed the papers but now feel like I would like to stay with her and apply from within.

What would we need to do to get the process started and get my work papers?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

My wife is an American citizen and I am a Canadian. We have been married for 4 years (and lived in Canada).
    She decided she wanted to move to Las Vegas and I drove her and with our possessions. I had intended to return to Canada while she filed the papers but now feel like I would like to stay with her and apply from within.

What would we need to do to get the process started and get my work papers?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Comment

Hi New2US,

Welcome.

Your wife needs to file I-130 Petition for Alien Relative, and you need to submitt documents for adjustment of status I-485 + bunch of other forms including I-765 Authorisation for employment.( see http://uscis.gov/graphics/howdoi/LPRApplication.htm )

You mail all at the same time.

At some stage in the process, you may be asked to explain and prove what were your intentions when you crossed the border. Entering the US as a tourist and having immigrant intent, is called visa fraud. Entering as a tourist and changing mind is a different story.

Comment

Working...
      X