Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Congrats to Michael on his new position with ILW!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Congrats to Michael on his new position with ILW!

ANNOUNCEMENT:

Michael has been appointed to serve as the Evil Mickey Mouse of this board. His new responsibilities include but are not limited to portraying Americans as evil xenophobic b a s t a r d s and spreading hate toward anyone who reminds him of his former wife. Other tasks as assigned by members of ILW.

If you need other Evil Mickey Mouse duties performed, please let Michael know.

END OF ANNOUNCEMENT

HATE & ANGER WILL MAKE YOU A SLAVE !

While visiting a park, Dale Carnegie observed a grizzly bear eating with a skunk. The grizzly allowed no other animal to eat with him. Although he resented the skunk, the bear would not pick a fight with him. He had no doubt learned the high cost of getting even.

Jesus Christ gave us a very valuable lesson when He said, "If someone sues you for your jacket, give him your coat also. If he compels you to walk one mile, go with him two". (Matt. 5:41)
    It's not always worth a battle to gain our so-called rights. We must determine if the issue is important enough to risk our peace of mind, health and general well-being. It's possible to win a battle and lose the war! There are times it is far better to walk away from a fight, even if it means we have to eat humble pie.
    Jesus also said, "Love your enemies, pray for those who despitefully use you and persecute you". (Matt. 5:44) The law of Moses was more rigid, "An eye for an eye and a tooth for a tooth". (Ex. 21:24)
    Sometimes it is far better, however, to walk the extra mile, turn the other cheek, or give away a jacket or overcoat, than to end up with a bad case of nerves, ulcers or sleepless nights!

LOVE IS THE SOLUTION TO MANY ILLS

In the past, some have criticized the advice that Jesus Christ gave about loving our enemies as impractical and unrealistic, but psychiatrists are now recommending it as a solution for many ills!

The Ayatolleh Khoemeni was wrong when he said: "Like Moses, Jesus the Blessed would have picked up a sword, had He lived longer." Our Lord Jesus said: "...for all they that take the sword shall perish with the sword." (Matt.26:52)
    Napoleon Bonaparte correctly stated: "I see in Lycurgus, Numa, and Muhammed only legislators who, having the first rank in the state, have sought the best solution of the social problem, but I see nothing there which reveals divinity...
    "You speak of Caesar, of Alexander, of their conquests, and of the enthusiasm they enkindled in the hearts of their soldiers; but can you conceive of a dead man making conquests with an army faithful and entirely devoted to his memory? My armies have forgotten me, even while living, as the Carthaginian army forgot Hannibal. Such is our power!
    "Alexander, Caesar, Charlemagne, and myself founded empires. But on what did we rest the creations of our genius? Upon force! Jesus Christ alone founded His Empire upon love; and, at this hour, millions of men would die for Him."
    St. Paul stated: "Therefore if thine enemy hunger, feed him; if he thirst, give him drink...Be not overcome of evil, but overcome evil with good." (Rom.12: 20-21) The Holy Spirit taught him the real values of life! He was a self-righteous Pharisee who thought he was doing God's will by imprisoning and killing Christians. Then he met Jesus on the Damascus Road. He was converted and received a new spirit and world - view!
    Booker T. Washington, a black American who became famous in spite of prejudices against his colour and who was insulted on numerous occasions, wrote, "I will not let any man reduce my soul to the level of hatred".
    The famous physiologist Dr. John Hunter, knew what anger could do to his heart. "The first scoundrel that gets me angry will kill me", he stated.
    Sometime later, at a medical meeting, a co-worker made assertions that incensed Hunter. As he stood up and bitterly attacked the speaker, his anger caused such a contraction of the blood vessels in his heart that he fell dead!

In his book, ˜None of These Diseases' Dr. S.I. McMillen relates numerous accounts like the above, which prove that powerful negative emotions can make you sick and even cause death!
    HATRED HOLDS YOU CAPTIVE!

According to medical researchers, verbal expressions of animosity toward others call forth certain hormones from the pituitary, adrenal, thyroid and other glands, an excess of which can cause disease in any part of the body.

Says McMillen, "The minute you begin hating someone, you become his slave. Hatred holds you captive and robs you of peace of mind, and your time is spent recounting unpleasant situations. Your enemy consumes your every waking moment and hatred holds your mind hostage."
    You are tormented by the demons of hatred, jealousy and envy. Your only desire is for revenge. It isn't worth it; let it go! Release the hatred, bitterness and resentment, and the healing powers within you will begin to function.

King Solomon stated, that it is better to be served a dish of vegetables with love, than to have the best beef served with hatred. (Prov. 15:17)

Internationally known psychiatrist, Alfred Adler, wrote, "The most important task imposed by religion has always been, ˜Love Thy Neighbour'. It is the individual who is not interested in his fellowman, who has the greatest difficulties in life and provides the greatest injury to others. It is from such individuals that all human failures spring".
    RELATIONSHIP BETWEEN SIN & SICKNESS!

Shakespeare saw the relationship between sin and disease. It was the memory of Duncan's murder that produced psychosomatic overtones in Lady MacBeth. When MacBeth asked the physician about her illness, he replied:
    "Not so sick, my Lord. As she is troubled with thick coming fancies that keep her from rest." Then the doctor asked:
    "Canst thou not minister to mind diseas'd, Pluck from the memory a rooted sorrow,
    Raze out the written troubles of the brain,
    And with some sweet oblivious antidote
    Cleanse the stuff'd bosom of that perilous stuff
    Which weights upon the heart?"
    A French proverb says, "There is no pillow as soft as a clear conscience". And psychologist Henry C. Link stated, "The emphasis on sin has largely disappeared from the teaching of religion...at the very time when psychology has discovered its importance and extended its meanings".
    The Bible says: "But if we walk in the light, as He is in the light, we have fellowship one with another, and the blood of Jesus Christ His Son cleanseth us from all sins. If we confess our sins (to God) He is faithful and just to forgive our sins and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness." (1 John 1: 7-9) What an opportunity to be forgiven and healed at the same time!
    Let us take a lesson from the grizzly bear and learn to avoid strife wherever possible! In a complex world, we must learn to co-exist, remembering the Scripture that says, "If it possible, as much as lieth in you, live peaceably with all men". (Rom. 12:18)
    In my opinion, Dr. S.I. McMillen's book is one of the greatest ever written, by a physician who - like Dr. David Livingstone - spent years on the Mission field ministering to the many needs of the poor and neglected masses there!

@

Are you sure you've never hurt anyone? Have you considered the things you speak to others? Jesus warns in Matthew 5:21-22 that even being unjustly angry with someone puts you in danger of judgment. Also, how many people have you hurt because of things you failed to do?
    Are you sure you've never hurt anyone? Have you considered the things you speak to others? Jesus warns in Matthew 5:21-22 that even being unjustly angry with someone puts you in danger of judgment. Also, how many people have you hurt because of thing

Comment

SAMMY, you are in serious need of mental help.
      Sweet Madame Belu

Comment

I speak only of love and of kindness as displayed by all my helpful words; whomever this "truth" fraudster is, he is full of hate, hypocrisy and anger. I forgive him as I forgive all those who trespass me and pray for his recovery.

Comment

He needs a psychiatrist who specializes in multiple personality disorder.
          Sweet Madame Belu

Comment

josephine schmo
            posted August 31, 2004 06:56 PM

SAMMY, you are in serious need of mental help.

Who is Sammy?

Uncle Sammy?
            Sammy Adams?
            Sammy Davis Jr.?
            Sammy Sosa?
            Sammy Hagar?

JUDGING OTHERS!

Is it right to judge others? I have been told, on many occasions, that we must not be judgmental or that we have no right to judge others. Is this true? Before we continue, let us differentiate 'judgmentally' and 'judgment': To be 'judgmental' (nowadays) is to be pompously pious, but to 'judge' is to weigh up matters and to convey one's conclusions.

1. To judge in any case means to condemn; to deliberately pick-out/select/choose something to argue against; to subject to censure; to pronounce an opinion on what is right and what is wrong. Thus, to judge here can refer to something petty or to something serious.
            2. The judgment in this part of the text is a different word, meaning to condemn the faults of others (with the inferred meaning of being an hypocrite).
            3. A straw, chaff or small twig. A speck of something.
            4. A beam, on the other hand, is a large piece of wood, solid enough to hold up something (like a roof)! No problem in finding it!
            5. The eye here can mean the physical or the metaphorical eye (e.g. to see with the mind's eye...that is, to think rather than to actually see).
            6. An actor or pretender; a dissembler; to feign/impersonate/simulate. Two-faced!
            7. To pull out violently or sternly; to excrete out; to tear out quickly; One thing overcoming another thing; to reject with contempt.
            If we check these meanings against the text, then, we will soon discover that judging others is not the issue in this text...the argument is aimed at those who are hypocrites. They pretend to be 'holier-than-thou' but they condemn the very same things they themselves are guilty of. They see (in their minds) the massive flaws in others and blow them out of all proportion, whilst their own flaws (of the same kind) are much greater and far more obvious. These are warned to take a close look at themselves and to rectify their own errors immediately. Only then may they approach others, in an attitude of humility, in order to help/warn them.
            In Luke 12:56,57 the Lord scoffs at us for refusing to judge even the smallest of things: "(Ye) hypocrites, ye can discern the face of the sky and of the earth; but how is it that ye do not discern this time? Yea, and why even of yourselves judge ye not what is right?" The sense of this is very straightforward - we are all very good at judging the weather and other observable things. We even judge things we know nothing about! Yet, we pretend not to be able to judge other Believers! I say 'pretend', because that is exactly what is done. To our faces, people tell us they cannot judge...but behind our backs, it is a different story! Even if we say we never discuss the flaws of others, the very fact that we say that means that we inwardly and secretly think about it and we inwardly judge. It is farcical and dishonest to say that we do not judge others...as Christ Himself observed.
            As we see in John 5:30, the judgment of Christ is perfect, because it is based on the Father's will. This is reinforced in later Biblical texts, which point out that when we judge, we must do so righteously (i.e. in God's will). Then, in 1 Corinthians 6 etc., we are castigated by the Apostle for not judging each other and for letting our arguments spill over into the world. We shall judge the world and the angels one day...yet we claim we cannot judge each other in the smallest of matters? Rubbish! says the Apostle. Indeed, he is disgusted with us and says " I speak to your shame".
            If we may not judge each other, then what on earth did Paul mean when he said "I speak unto wise men; judge ye what I say"? Unless we wish to make complete nonsense of language, it means that we should examine and pass conclusions. That is, we must judge! It is important that we judge each other, because by doing so we will not be judged by the world. And when we are judged, it is for the purpose of chastening, stopping us from doing wrong and urging us to do good. It is a dynamic way of faith.
            It is a sad reflection on our Christian lives that so few Believers are willing to be judged by their fellows. They prefer to carry on in their sins than to change their lives. On the other hand, every Christian thinks he is always right in his judgment when, in fact, he is merely expressing badly formed and highly subjective opinions. Godly judgment has nothing in common with opinions of men! True judgment is a careful weighing-up of the facts. They are measured against scripture (our only source of declared truth). If they fall below the Biblical standard, then they are judged to be wanting and a warning may be issued. Judging others is partly a function of discipline and the aim of all discipline is to bring a person back to God and the right path. We must never be afraid to judge others...so long as we are not guilty of the same things ourselves.
            God requires us, as thinking, rational beings, to order our lives according to His word. We cannot do this without applying judgments, about everyday situations as well as about serious and far-reaching ones. It is a lie to say that we do not judge others, because we do it all the time. Like the evangelical smile which can hide the face of hatred, a non-judgment attitude can hide a heart full of hypocrisy. Judge, but judge well. Warn, but do not be guilty of the same things. I no longer listen to those who tell me not to judge others - they do not know what they are talking about. Often, their motives are questionable...the one who shouts the most about not judging others, is the most likely candidate for being judgmental in his heart, with hypocrisy.
            Those who say we must not be judgmental may just be sitting on the fence; many Christians are afraid to speak the truth. Others may be guilty of doing what others are doing - so they naturally do not want that sin highlighted by the proper judgment of their fellows. And some are merely ignorant of Biblical teaching on the judging of others. Unbelievers point the finger at Christians who dare to question their humanistic, unbelieving ideas and practices; they claim that Christians must not be judgmental when, in fact, they are really saying "Shut up! We want the world to be run as a godless estate with no holds barred!" Judge and judge well!
            Are you sure you've never hurt anyone? Have you considered the things you speak to others? Jesus warns in Matthew 5:21-22 that even being unjustly angry with someone puts you in danger of judgment. Also, how many people have you hurt because of thing

Comment

FOR PEOPLE THAT ARE MENTALLY DISTURBED!

:: THE WAY TO PEACE::

Do we benefit from different culture?

The Upanishads of the seventh and sixth centuries BC are mystical writings of the seers (rishis) of ancient lndia who practiced yoga to attain conscious union with God. They taught that the soul (atman) is the same essence as God (Brahma), eternal and immortal. The soul incarnates in the world of appearance or illusion and is responsible for the consequences of its actions (karma). The soul continues to reincarnate until the consciousness re-awakens to its inherent divinity and is liberated from the wheel of rebirth. The knowledge that the true self (atman) is a part of God is a psycho-logical liberation, and the awareness of one's own immortality frees one from the fear of death and brings a feeling of eternal peace. As the Jews often use the word for Peace (shalom) as a greeting, the Hindus often conclude their prayers with peace (shanti). The Maitri Upanishad describes the way of meditating on sound by which one ascends to non-sound resulting in complete union and also peaceful-ness. India has a long tradition of its mystics who renounce the world and go off to find internal peace and liberation. In a transcen-dental sense it is believed that if one person finds eternal peace and spiritual liberation the entire world is spiritually benefited.

One such person was Nataputta Vardhamana (599-527 BC) who was given the name Mahavira which means "Great Hero." As the historical reformer of the Jain religion, the Jains believe Mahavira to be the twenty-fourth and last of the great teachers. Mahavira made ahimsa the essential principle of the religion. Ahimsa has been translated as "non-violence," but it literally means not hurting or not harming. Mahavira was the younger son of a local king and was brought up amidst luxury. He married and had a daughter. After his parents died of voluntary starvation, at the age of thirty he gained his older brother's consent (after a year of waiting for it) to leave the palace, give away all his possessions, and retire from the world. He joined a monastery, limited himself to one garment, and pulled out his hair in five handfuls. The Akaranga Sutra describes his discipline:

Neglecting his body,
              the venerable ascetic Mahavira meditated on his soul,
              in blameless lodgings, in blameless wandering,
              in restraint, kindness, avoidance of sinful influence,
              chaste life, in patience, freedom from passion, contentment;
              control, circumspection, practicing religious postures and acts;
              walking the path of nirvana and liberation,
              which is the fruit of good conduct.
              Living thus he with equanimity
              bore, endured, sustained, and suffered
              all calamities arising from divine powers, men, and animals,
              with undisturbed and unafflicted mind,
              careful of body, speech, and mind.

After a few months he threw away the robe and left the monastery to wander naked through the plains and villages of central India. Not wanting to become attached to any place or person he never stayed more than one day in a village or more than five days in a city, except during the rainy season when he did not want to tread on paths that were teeming with life. He took asceticism and ahimsa to their extreme limits. He completely disregarded his body, staying in the cold winter shade and the hot summer sun; even when people physically beat him he paid no attention. He was extraordinarily careful not to injure any form of life while walking or sitting. He strained the water he drank and ate only left-over food that had been prepared for others and had no germinating life in it.

After twelve years of practicing these austerities he became liberated and free of all attachment to the world. Then he taught others for thirty years before he passed out of the world. He emphasized the five great vows: 1) ahimsa or non-killing and non-injury, 2) non-lying or speaking only the truth, 3) non-taking or not stealing or being greedy in even its subtlest forms, 4) celibacy and renunciation of all sensual pleasures, and 5) non-attachment or not being delighted or disturbed by any outward experience. These disciplines were later incorporated into the preliminary step of Patanjali's Yoga Sutras, the classical text of yoga.

Certainly one cannot expect everyone to become as ascetic the extreme Mahavira, but he demonstrated its effectiveness Ahimsa is a cardinal principle in the way of peace, and non-injury is well supported by the self-disciplines which control Iying, stealing, greed, lust, and attachment. For people to be at pea with each other, such self-restraint is essential.

Siddartha Gautama (563-483 BC) was also born as a prince in a small state in India. To prevent him from renouncing the world his father surrounded him with every luxury and removed all signs of old age, disease, death, and religious men. Gautama married and spent his time in the pleasure gardens of the palace. However, by providence the prince happened to observe on his way to the pleasure garden first an old man, then a sick man, a corpse being carried to a funeral, and finally a begging monk. Never having witnessed such sights before, Gautama began to seriously contemplate the meaning of life and its inevitable decay, suffering and death; like the monk he too must try to find a solution to these problems. Therefore he escaped from the palace and became an ascetic, as Mahavira had done. He gave up everything he had in order to beg for his food and search for enlightenment.

For six years he tried to mortify the flesh. Not bothering to wash, the dirt fell off of him in cakes. Fasting and eating only one seed a day he became so thin that he could grab his spinal column from the front. Finally he collapsed and was near death, but it was at this point that he realized that practicing extreme austerities was not the way to enlightenment and liberation. He had already gained five disciples; but when he went back to begging for food, they all left him. Gautama concentrated on meditation; while sitting under the Bo tree, he overcame all temptations and entered into nirvana or supreme peace. People did not know what to make of this person and inquired whether he was a god, a devil, an angel, a man, or what. Gautama replied simply, "I am awake." Thus he became known as the Buddha, which means the awakened one or the enlight-ened one.

Buddha based his teaching on four noble truths:
              1) that life is painful and suffering,
              2) that desire and attachment are what causes the pain and suffering,
              3) that pain and suffering may be eliminated by ceasing to desire and be attached to things, and
              4) that the way to eliminate the pain and suffering is by means of the eightfold path which is right understanding, right purpose, right speech, right action, right livelihood, right effort, right concentration, and right meditation.
              Having experienced both the extremes of luxury and asceticism, Buddha discovered that the middle way between them was the easiest path. His common sense and acute psychological insights into the whole process of consciousness and its tendencies toward bondage enabled the Buddha to teach a universal doctrine which would work for many people. His middle path was easily accessible to everyone, and he encouraged women as well as men to follow his path of enlightenment. He demonstrated and taught what he called the fourfold infinite mind of love, compassion, rejoicing, and equanimity.

For fifty years he taught, and his following grew steadily. One year when there had been a drought, a dispute developed between the Sakyas and the Koliyas over the water of the Rohini River. As the conflict increased to the brink of war, the Buddha placed himself on the river bank and asked why the Sakya and Koliya princes had assembled. They replied that they were about to do battle, and he asked why. The princes were not sure, so they asked the commanders who had to ask the regent who in turn questioned the farmers on the details. The Buddha then asked them to compare the value of the water and the earth to the value of the princes and men. After a while the Buddha was able to persuade them to refrain from fighting, and thus much bloodshed was avoided.

The Buddha taught that one ought to give ungrudging love even to the man who foolishly does wrong to one. Such a man hearing this about the Buddha went to him and abused him. The Buddha silently pitied his folly. When the man finished, the Buddha asked him to whom a present would belong if a person refused to accept it. The man replied that it would still belong to the one who offered it. The Buddha then told the man that he could keep his abuse, and he observed what a misery it would be for the man The Buddha said to him, "A wicked man who reproaches a virtuous one is like one who looks up and spits at heaven; the spittle soils not the heaven, but comes back and defiles his own person. The slanderer is like one who flings dust at another when the wind is contrary; the dust does but return on him who threw it. The virtuous man cannot be hurt, and the misery that the other would inflict comes back on himself." The abusing man was ashamed and later became a follower of the Buddha.

Even when Devadatta, one of the disciples, tried to have the Buddha murdered because he had not been chosen as his successor, the Buddha harbored no resentment. The hired assassins were converted by the Buddha's loving kindness. When Devadatta caused a schism in the order, the Buddha allowed everyone to follow whom-ever they chose. Finally when Devadatta was dying and suffering the torment of his own karma, the Buddha assisted him spiritually so that in a future incarnation he would have a good opportunity to attain Buddhahood.

The ethical teachings of the Buddha are poetically expressed in the Dhammapada. What we are is the result of our thoughts. The person who is always complaining is full of hatred, while the person who forgives is filled with love. "Everyone trembles at punishment, everyone loves life; remember that you are like them, and do not kill nor cause slaughter." Do not speak harshly to anyone, for angry speech is painful. "Let a person overcome anger by love, let him overcome evil by good; let him overcome greed by generosity, and Iying by truth." The person who uses violence is not just; rather the just person learns and uses intelligence to distinguish right from wrong and to guide others. A good person is tolerant with the intolerant, mild with the violent, and free from greed among the greedy.

In the third century BC the great King Ashoka was converted to Buddhism and promoted Buddhist teachings throughout India and even sent Buddhist teachers to the rulers of Syria, Egypt, Cyrene, Macedonia, and Epirus. He financed Buddhist education and erected pillars in many places declaring his intention to practice and spread the dharma (doctrine, duty). No longer would he conquer by arms and punishments, but he would be merciful and encourage devotion. He ruled the tremendous domain of most of India and portions of Afghanistan, Sind, Kashmir, Nepal, and the lower Himalaya. During his reign there were protected wells, public granaries, medical treatment for all people and even for animals, and public servants to prevent unjust imprisonment and to help large families and the aged. Animals, birds, and forests were protected, and King Ashoka became a vegetarian and lived like a Buddhist monk even while he ruled the greatest empire of his time. Early in the Christian era Buddhism spread to China and from there to Japan and also Tibet. The Buddhist way of life has been a tremendous influence toward peace and has been the most dominant religion of the Orient.

Comment

You're as bad as E. with that cut and paste nonsense.

SAMMY "BONEY" FINGERS
                Sweet Madame Belu

Comment

Michael
                  posted August 31, 2004 07:28 PM

I speak only of love and of kindness as displayed by all my helpful words; whomever this "truth" fraudster is, he is full of hate, hypocrisy and anger. I forgive him as I forgive all those who trespass me and pray for his recovery.

TRUE MEANING OF LOVE :

In our day, most define love as some type of feeling. We "fall in love," or two people meet and it is "love at first sight." But the world's love is a selfish matter. If you are attractive to me, be nice to me, meet my needs and love me I in return will "love" you. The world's love is based on getting something from some else. The world does not give love where is does not benefit themselves. If you do not please me then I have no love for you. Thus for the world love must be earned by making someone else feel good.
                  Powerful emotions may accompany love, but it is the commitment of the will that holds true biblical love steadfast and unchanging. Emotions may change, but a commitment to love in a biblical manner endures and is the hallmark of a disciple of Christ. Sadly, the opposite is also true.
                  Emotions will vary, but a commitment which has its basis in biblical love will not be affected by the whelm of emotion or of one's circumstances.
                  Our example of true love is shown in God's love for the sinner. Romans 5:8 says ". . .commendeth his love toward us, in that, while we were yet sinners, Christ died for us." The lost sinner living in rebellion and sin is still loved by the Lord. He loved us enough to die for us and pay our sin debt while we were sinning against Him. This shows that true biblical love is a matter of will....not of emotion. God choose to love us and His love was not based on our meriting it in any way.
                  1 John 4:8 tells us that ". . . God is love."
                  The Apostle Paul's discourse in 1 Corinthians 13:1-8, addresses the true righteousness of those who profess Jesus Christ.
                  "Charity suffereth long, and is kind; charity envieth not; charity vaunteth not itself, is not puffed up, Doth not behave itself unseemly, seeketh not her own, is not easily provoked, thinketh no evil; Rejoiceth not in iniquity, but rejoiceth in the truth; Beareth all things, believeth all things, hopeth all things, endureth all things. Charity never faileth. . . " (1 Cor. 13:4-8a)
                  God is telling us that "charity" which is true biblical "love" does not fail. Relationships based on emotion fail, but those based on the tenants of true biblical love NEVER fail. In our text verse John gives a straight forward test of true conversion. He begins by saying, "Whosoever is born of God doth not commit sin; for his seed remaineth in him: and he cannot sin, because he is born of God."
                  In verse 10 God tells us that those that live in unrighteousness are noted also in that they do not love their brother.
                  Verse 11, refers to the text of this message when Jesus said the second greatest commandment was to love one's neighbor as themselves.
                  In verse 12 is uses Cain as an example. Cain killed his brother because his on works were evil and his brother's works righteous. Cain had no love for his brother, and the basis of his hatred for his brother was that his brother did right and it incited him to murder.
                  In verse 13, John offers comfort to the true child of God who are the object of scorn, ridicule and the unloving abuses. He in verse 14, offers assurance to those who are hurting under the unloving attacks of the worldly.
                  "We know that we have passed from death unto life, because we love the brethren. He that loveth not his brother abideth in death." This verse plainly states the change that occurs when a person receives Christ. Because the Spirit of God is in them...they are able to without condition love others. This is evidence of true salvation when a person's love for others becomes unselfish.
                  Verse 16, states the greatest manifestation of the love the world can know....that Christ laid down his life for us: and we ought to lay down our lives for the brethren." He concludes with Verse 18.
                  Today many churches promote a "feel good" religion. It is meant to appeal to emotions. This has had the effect of turning people on to emotion and feeling instead of true spiritual biblical love and commitment. Many today are motivated by emotion rather than being motivated by a commitment to the Lord.
                  The Bible says we are to grow by the knowledge of the Word of God, not by religious experiences or feelings. Never in any of the Epistles does the New Testament tell us to seek emotional experiences and be guided by feelings. This is an important truth that is being ignored.
                  The reason so many are in false doctrine and weak in faith and service to God, and are immature...is because they do not honestly know what the Bible teaches about Biblical love and commitment to Christ or they know and refuse to life in love as the Lord instructs. Their relationship with the Lord is based on how they feel rather than on the promises of God's Word. The same is true in their relationships in their marriages, with their children, family and friends. They evaluate their relationship based on the selfish idea that others should make them feel good and if they do not they are not loved or have the right to withhold love towards others. ILLUS: When I first came to Tremonton, I met a woman who was offended because I would not allow Contemporary So-Called Christian Music in our church. She told me in glowing terms how she listened to a Christian Rock Station and the song so helped her get through the day. My friend....think for a moment about what she was saying? She got through the day by hearing a commercial singer, repeating phrases over and over to a strong rhythmic beat and that helped her spiritually.
                  By the way...the Buddhists, Oriental mystics and many other pagan religious do the same thing. In fact lost people also find great pleasure in listening to hard ungodly rock music that has the same beat and rhythm. But my friend....does God tell us to be comforted and get through the day by being emotionally charged up or are we to live moment by moment following and trusting in the principles of God's word?
                  People can actually become "music junkies" having to have music playing all day. However, the true healing comfort to get us through life's trials can only come from God and through His word speaks to us spiritual in the small quiet voice in our souls.
                  God says, Psalms 27:1 "The LORD is my light and my salvation; whom shall I fear? the LORD is the strength of my life; of whom shall I be afraid?"
                  Read with me 1 Corinthians 5:8-18. What a wonderful passage this is. Did you notice what verse 13 says, "We having the same spirit of faith, according as it is written, I believed." Our faith, our hope, our love is based in ONE thing...the Word of God to us.
                  This is a long introduction, but let us now look then at the Meaning of Biblical Love:
                  I. ALL OF GODS'S DIRECTIVES FOR LIVING ARE BASED ON LOVING GOD AND LOVING OTHERS IN A BIBLICAL MANNER.
                  A. Jesus said, "And you shall love the Lord your God with all your heart, with all your soul, with all your mind, and with all your strength.' This is the first commandment." (Mark 12:30)
                  B. As a part and the natural result of loving God is you love your neighbor.
                  ""And the second, like it, is this: `You shall love your neighbor as yourself.' There is no other commandment greater than these." (Mark 12:31)
                  C. A Christian will never love their neighbor until they first learn to love God.
                  1. Biblical love is defined by God in His Grace. Grace is "unmerited favor."
                  2. It is further defined in the word "agape" that is translated in to the English word "love." The word expresses the highest form of love which is the love of God for mankind. This love is one that is freely given because one wills to give it. It is not based on any merit of the individual.
                  3. True biblical love can only be know by the actions that it prompts. It is not the love of complacency or affection, that is not drawn out by any excellency in it objects (Vines.p382).
                  ILLUS: If you ask most any church member or profession Christian if they loved the Lord, they would say....certainly! Yet, the faithfulness and obedience of the individual to the Lord shows if their love for God truly exists or is simply rhetoric.
                  4. Perfect love is seen the Lord Jesus Christ. In the Garden of Gethsemane Christ agonized over what he would be enduring within hours as He suffered for the sins of all the world. Yet, he said "Not my will, but thine be done." Only a pure love could suffer for the world, fully knowing that most of the world would reject Christ's sacrifice for them. Love produces action...and if love is present it will be seen.
                  5. True love will produce sacrifice for the one who is loved. That is why today, some many live uncommitted lives. They are hot one minute and ice cold the next. True biblical love produces stability in one's life.
                  ILLUS: I was talking with a good friend who pastors a church in North Carolina. As we ended the conversation he said, "Brother Cooper would pray with me about my church." He then said he had been at the church for almost twenty years. The church was doing well financially...but he said we are the epitome of the Laodicean church. His church was neither hot or cold....basically was only existing doing little or nothing for the Lord. Folks there is a lack of biblical love in that church....because where there is biblical love their is action, commitment and the attitude of sacrificial living for Christ.
                  6. Love is not the kind of motivation that is whipped up in an emotional message by a good preacher. Yes, many churches live from week to week getting having to be pumped up by emotional messages each week. Most of that kind of preaching never lasts much past the door of the church. By the time folks get home its over and its back to apathy and being complacent.
                  It may be fun to sing catchy choruses, to wave one's arms around in the air and sway to the beat of the music and be charged up emotionally....but that does not produce any lasting spiritual benefit in the life of the participant. When the trial of life comes, and they surely will come upon us all, emotion does not bring comfort. You may turn on you cassette player and listen for a while and have your spirits emotionally lifted, but the problem is not solved.
                  However, my friend, when the burdens of life weight you down till you feel like you are being crushed alive.....what brings true help and peace is God's word that promises to His children never to leave to you, never to forsake you. What brings true help is knowing....absolutely... that you are in God's hands and that He loves you more than you could ever know. Music, charged up emotional church service will not give you the strength you need in a time of peril....but God's word will. And dear friends, the preacher who leads such services is not your friend or the friend of God....is leading you astray and God will surely judge him for it. ILLUS: Years ago I worked for six long hard years establishing a church. My wife and I sacrificed to serve that congregation. The church grew in numbers, a building was built and I thought things were going well. Yet, these people that we had loved and given ourselves too for so long turned on us and treated us shamefully. In a business meeting they had a terrible fight over giving us a $50.00 a month increase in our support. We had not had an increase in all the time we were there. Our car was worn out with 160,000 miles on it and but we could not afford to replace it. They church was finanically well off and was banking several hundred dollars per month, but several gossipy ladies in the church opposed the church helping us and no one would stand up for us. It almost killed me and wife. I really thought they were our friends and brothers and sisters in Christ. Clearly they had not love or concern for us. I resigned the church the following Sunday, because I realized they did not love us. It turned out to be a good experience though because I had never really been tested like that before. God used these selfish sinful ladies to test our church memenbers and also our commitment to Him. It was a refiner's fire to see who we were truly serving and if our love of God and the people we served real. I thank God for the experience although it almost destroyed me....but God upheld us, showed us His love and we came out of the experience totally committed to the Lord. Our love is not based in how people treat us, or appreciate what we do....it is based in God's word, His promises, and calling to His preacher and that preacher's dear wife. Carolyn and I today love those people...all of them, even those ladies who still dislike us and who have not changed one bit. Only God could do that in a person's life....only God's love that is shed abroad in our hearts....could cause us to love people who do not love us and so abused us.
                  7. Yet, a true love for God, based on His immeasurable love for us...will keep you going when life is black as pitch and trouble is on every side. True biblical love will not be a roller coaster ride....it will keep you confidently moving ever forward...steadily for the Lord.
                  II. LOVE IS GIVING, NOT GETTING, WITH GOD'S LOVE BEING THE BASIS AND THE EXAMPLE FOR THE EXPRESSION OF LOVE AMONG FELLOW CHRISTIANS. (John 3:16)
                  A. God showed His love and gave His only begotten Son. (John 3:16)
                  B. The Lord Jesus Christ loves you and gave Himself for you.
                  "Grace to you and peace from God the Father and our Lord Jesus Christ, who gave Himself for our sins, that He might deliver us from this present evil age, according to the will of our God and Father" (Gal. 1:3-4)
                  Do you understand when it was that Christ died for you? Romans 5:8 says, "But God commendeth his love toward us, in that, while we were yet sinners, Christ died for us." Yes, when we were in rebellion against HIm
                  C. The Lord Jesus Christ gave Himself as a ransom on your behalf.
                  "Who gave Himself a ransom for all, to be testified in due time" (1 Tim. 2:6)
                  D. The Lord Jesus Christ, in demonstrating His love, served others even though He is the Master.
                  READ: John 13:3-17
                  III. LOVE HAS SPECIFIC CHARACTERISTICS DEMONSTRATED BY GODLY DEEDS (thoughts, words, and actions). The test of Biblical love is to do the following, especially when you don't feel like it.
                  "For if you love those who love you, what reward have you? Do not even the tax collectors do the same? And if you greet your brethren only, what do you do more than others? Do not even the tax collectors do so? Therefore you shall be perfect, just as your Father in heaven is perfect." (Matthew 5:46-48)
                  In 1 Cor. 13:1-7, is called the love discourse. It is a comparison of love verses the selfishness of seeking "gifts." Many miss the context of this passage. Paul was addressing the selfishness of the Corinthians in their seeking to obtain gifts of the Spirit that would draw attention to themselves. These misguided individuals were seeking to be "seen" rather than to serve God. Paul was saying their seeking gifts from God was not motivated by love. By the way dear friend, nothing is changed in that area....it is still going on today in spite of Paul's strong three chapter explanation of the matter.
                  A. LOVE IS PATIENT. V4 (Long suffering) Even when you feel like forcefully expressing yourself. Love bears pain or trails without complaint, shows forbearance under provocation or strain, and is steadfast despite opposition, difficulty, or adversity.
                  B. LOVE IS KIND. V4 Even when you want to retaliate physically or tear down another with your words. Love is sympathetic, considerate, gentle and agreeable.
                  C. LOVE IS NOT JEALOUS. V4 (envieth not) Especially when you are aware that others are being noticed more than you. Love does not participate in rivalry, is not hostile toward one believed to enjoy an advantage, and is not suspicious. Love works for the welfare and good of the other.
                  D. LOVE DOES NOT BRAG. V4 (vaunteth not itself) Even when you want to tell the world about your accomplishments. Love does not flaunt itself boastfully and does not engage in self-glorification. Instead, love lifts and builds up others.
                  E. LOVE IS NOT ARROGANT. V4 (is not puffed up) Even when you think you are right and others are wrong. Love does not assert itself or become overbearing in dealing with others.
                  F. LOVE IS DOES NOT ACT UNBECOMINGLY. V5 (Does not behave seemly) Even when being boastful, rude or overbearing will get you attention and allow you to get your own way. Love conforms to what is right, fitting and appropriate to the situation in order to honor the Lord.
                  G. LOVE DOES NOT SEEK ITS OWN. V5 Biblical love is not selfish and self seeking. True Love does not try to fulfill its own desires, does not ask for its own way, and does not try to acquire gain for itself. Love, is an act of the will which seeks to serve and not be served.
                  H. LOVE IS NOT PROVOKED. V5 Even when others attempt to provoke you or you are tempted to strike out at something or someone. Love is not aroused or incited to outbursts of anger. Love continues faithfully and gently to train others in righteousness, even when they fail.
                  I. LOVE DOES NOT TAKE INTO ACCOUNT A WRONG SUFFERED. V5 (thinketh no evil) Even when everyone seems to be against you or when people openly attack you. Love does not hold a grudge against someone. Love forgives, chooses not to bring up past wrongs in accusation or retaliation, does not return evil for evil, and does not indulge in self pity. Love covers a multitude of sins.
                  J. LOVE DOES NOT REJOICE IN UNRIGHTEOUSNESS. V6 (rejoiceth not in iniquity) Even when it seems like a misfortune was exactly what another person deserved. Love mourns over sin, its effects and the pain which results from living in a fallen world. Love seeks to reconcile others with the Lord.
                  K. LOVE REJOICES WITH THE TRUTH. V6 Even when it is easier and more profitable materially to lie. Love is joyful when truth is known, even when it may lead to adverse circumstances, reviling and persecution.
                  L. LOVE BEARS ALL THINGS. V7 Even when disappointments seem overwhelming. Love is tolerant, endures with others who are difficult to understand or deal with, and has an eternal perspective in difficulties. Love remembers that God develops spiritual maturity through difficult circumstances.
                  M. LOVE BELIEVES ALL THINGS. V7 Even when other's actions are ambiguous and you feel like not trusting anyone. Love accepts trustfully, does not judge people's motives, and believes others until facts prove otherwise. Even when facts prove that the other person is untrustworthy, love seeks to help restore the other to trustworthiness.
                  N. LOVE HOPES ALL THINGS. V7 Even when nothing appears to be going right. Love expects fulfillment of God's plan and anticipates the best for the other person. Love confidently entrusts others to the Lord to do His sovereign and perfect will in their lives.
                  O. LOVE ENDURES ALL THINGS. V7 This is one of the hardest to practice. Especially when you think you just can't endure the people or circumstances in your life. Love remains steadfast under suffering or hardship without yielding and returns good while undergoing trials.
                  P. LOVE NEVER FAILS. V8 Even when you feel overwhelmed and the situation seems hopeless. Love will not crumble under pressure or difficulties. Love remains selflessly faithful even to the point of death.
                  IV. LOVE CHARACTERIZES THE LIFE OF A DISCIPLE OF CHRIST.
                  Jesus in instructing his disciples made this in the form of a commandment.
                  "A new commandment I give to you, that you love one another; as I have loved you, that you also love one another. "By this all will know that you are My disciples, if you have love for one another." (John 13:34-35)
                  V. BIBLICAL LOVE IS AN ACT OF THE WILL..NOT OF EMOTION.
                  A. God willed to love us. "But God commendeth his love toward us, in that, while we were yet sinners, Christ died for us."
                  1. The word "commended" is the Greek word "sunisthmi" (soon-is'-tay-mee) . It means "to place together" or "to introduce one to another."
                  2. While we were in sin and in rebellion against God, (that is what sin is)....He by His own love...placed us together. He made the provision for our sins that we might have by faith forgiveness, from the One we sinned against.
                  3. How can we even begin to fathom the depth and space of God's love for us!!
                  B. Can we then reflect that love towards others? Can we live on this high and lofty plain. YES....YES...YES WE CAN...IF WE WILL TO DO SO!!
                  1. Biblical love of the Lord and for those around us is a matter of one's will.....of having the will to love others because Christ loved us.
                  2. Biblical love will motivate you serve others....no matter what the circumstances, it will sail you through discouragements, and dark times that every believer will go through.
                  3. Yet, it is not automatic...it is some we are to "put on." Paul in Romans 13:8, said to "owe no man anything but to love one another." In verse 10, God tells us "Love worketh no ill to his neighbor: therefore love is the fulfilling of the Law."
                  In Verse 12, he continues "The night is far spent, the day is at hand: let us therefore cast off the works of darkness, and let us put on the amour of light."
                  What is the "amour of light?" It is love...true biblical love that puts the heart in us to live for Christ and serve Him.
                  Ephesians 4:24, says, "And that ye put on the new man, which after God is created in righteousness and true holiness." Putting something on is an act of one's will...not of emotion.
                  C. You see love is based in truth. "For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." John 3:16.
                  1. This is the truth to all who will by faith received Christ Jesus as their Savior.
                  2. Love then is based on truth...not emotion.
                  D. What is the practical application of this truth?
                  1. Because God save you...you get up on Sunday morning, Sunday evening, Wednesday night and go to the place the church meets to worship God and study together. God commanded it (Heb. 10:25), therefore you obey the Lord.
                  2. Because God loved you and saved you from Hell, you put everything of the world second....and Jesus Christ first in all things (Col. 1:18)
                  3. Because God loved you and forgave you sins...you seek to win your neighbor, friend, co-worker, and the stranger to the Lord.
                  4. Because God loved you...you in thanksgiving tithe and give your offerings that the work of the Lord might be done.
                  5. Because God loved you...you love and seek to serve your brethren in the church...You overlook their short comings and frailty. You do not criticized them and seek God's best for them.
                  6. Because God loved you first.. and suffered and died for you...you willing will sacrifice you all for Him.

Comment

CONCLUSION:
                    1. TO THE LOST: REALIZE THAT THE ULTIMATE DISPLAY AND EXAMPLE OF LOVE IS GOD'S GRACE. HE LOVED AND DIED FOR YOU. WILL YOU REJECT YOUR SAVIORS LOVE YOU...OR RUN TO HIM FOR FORGIVENESS.

2. FOR THE SAVED: MAKE THAT COMMITMENT: I WILL LOVE, I WILL DO WHAT GOD WANTS ME.
                    Folks it is that simple! What will you do? Is it to be the status-quo. What will be your attitude when you walk from the building? Have you let the Word of God change you....or are you content to live as a Laodicean...not hot...not cold....not anything of value to the Lord and as Jesus said...be spewed from his mouth.

I challenge you, dear friend....put on the amour of light....and let the light of God's love shine through you.

Comment

josephine schmo
                      posted September 01, 2004 01:58 AM

You're as bad as E. with that cut and paste nonsense.

SAMMY "BONEY" FINGERS

@

Let the light of God's love shine through you. God bless you.

Comment

Shaddap! Bla bla bla!

Cut the religious c r a p.

I won't even respond to it.

No one wants to hear that chit.

This is what immigrants came to America for,

FREEDOM FROM RELIGION.
                        Sweet Madame Belu

Comment

"Nothing in the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance"

An ignorance a Sunset
                          Confer upon the Eye --
                          Of Territory -- Color --
                          Circumference -- Decay --

Its Amber Revelation
                          Exhilirate -- Debase --
                          Omnipotence' inspection
                          Of Our inferior face --

And when the solemn features
                          Confirm -- in Victory --
                          We start -- as if detected
                          In Immortality --

Comment

Bla bla bla. We like originality, remember?
                            Sweet Madame Belu

Comment

"Nothing in the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance."

An ignorance a Sunset
                              Confer upon the Eye --
                              Of Territory -- Color --
                              Circumference -- Decay --

Its Amber Revelation
                              Exhilirate -- Debase --
                              Omnipotence' inspection
                              Of Our inferior face --

And when the solemn features
                              Confirm -- in Victory --
                              We start -- as if detected
                              In Immortality --

Comment

Working...
                              X