Immigrants Coming For Welfare

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Immigrants Coming For Welfare

A report from Public Agenda cites figures that immigrants come and remain in the U.S. for welfare.

Money Quote: 3. Yet there were significant increases in those who cite making it easier
    to get certain jobs (69 percent, up 14 points), to make it easier to travel (65 percent, up 14 points) and to qualify for government programs
    like Medicaid and food stamps (only 36 percent, the lowest on the scale, but still a 14-point increase from 2002).

Immigrants Seek Welfare

A report from Public Agenda cites figures that immigrants come and remain in the U.S. for welfare.

Money Quote: 3. Yet there were significant increases in those who cite making it easier
    to get certain jobs (69 percent, up 14 points), to make it easier to travel (65 percent, up 14 points) and to qualify for government programs
    like Medicaid and food stamps (only 36 percent, the lowest on the scale, but still a 14-point increase from 2002).

Immigrants Seek Welfare

Comment

YOU LIE MICHAEL!

Comment

M.oron, my name is not Michael.

But in any even, read the report, over 1/3 of immigrants want access to welfare programs.

Fact. Just deal with it and Move On.

Comment

once an immigrant has been living legally in any country, they are entitled to **** up whatever it takes from the Govt to pay them on the condition that the law allow them to do so, your problem is with the law not with the immigrants, this is like a job add where ppl apply for, u might be under the intention of working just to make money and not being productive till u get caught then kicked out so its a leak in the way the system works and let me ask you a question, if immigrants come here to be on welfare, then one guy is gonna pay the money and one guy is gonna collect it, where or what is the problem?????? and YES, imigrants want access BIG TIME to welfare programs because it was made up for those who can justify that they need it so what difference will it makes if an immigrant will collect it or if US born will do so???????

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by federale86:
          M.oron, my name is not Michael.

But in any even, read the report, over 1/3 of immigrants want access to welfare programs.

Fact. Just deal with it and Move On. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Comment

That's dishonest or ignorant for you to say.

You represent what's wrong with this country. First, you twist the report to fit your political agenda. Second, the survey did not mention the margin of error, but no, all you want is to create a generalization for your own propaganda.

What you failed to understand or decided to ignore is this: this survey is not worth a penny unless you understand the demographic that was polled. 11.7% of the immigrant population are 65+ years old (See US foreign born population survey done by the census in 2003 http://www.census.gov/prod/2004pubs/p20-551.pdf). Do you know how many eldery were pooled? I would expect any 65+ year old applying for citizenship to seek welfare, after all that's what most non wealthy americans rely on when they retire. They have worked hard for it and they deserve it.

I can tell you for sure that the survey was not representative of the overall immigrant population. For instance, the survey states that 72% favor a path to citizenship. Among the 18-29 yera old, 85% favor a path to citizenship while only 56% of the 65+ years old favor it. So, for the overall percent of immigrants in favor of path to citizenship to go down from 85% (among younger people) to 72%, the percent of eldery in the sample would have to be greater than 43%, which is totally not representive of the overall immigrant population.

Now, you may well not have the brain to understand the political agenda behind these studies or you may be purposely creating your own agenda to bamboozle other people; whatever it is, have a little decency and stop spreading lies, propaganda and creating stereotypes about other people. This serves no purpose but to create a hostile environment in which no progress can be made and the society as whole will sffer as a result. Wake up, it is expected that China will controle more than 60% of the world's wealth by 2040, they are graduating more students than US, they have more than 1.3 billion people ready to take over the world. But no, that's not your concern, all you care about is to spew hate and label people. Stop the small mindedness and the unproductive sassiness, lets work together to advance the cause of freedom for future generations.

By the way, dont tell me to go back to Africa. I love America, I am here and I wont let you spoil it for me. Peace!

Comment

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Kumna:
              That's dishonest or ignorant for you to say.

You represent what's wrong with this country. First, you twist the report to fit your political agenda. Second, the survey did not mention the margin of error, but no, all you want is to create a generalization for your own propaganda.

What you failed to understand or decided to ignore is this: this survey is not worth a penny unless you understand the demographic that was polled. 11.7% of the immigrant population are 65+ years old (See US foreign born population survey done by the census in 2003 http://www.census.gov/prod/2004pubs/p20-551.pdf). Do you know how many eldery were pooled? I would expect any 65+ year old applying for citizenship to seek welfare, after all that's what most non wealthy americans rely on when they retire. They have worked hard for it and they deserve it.

I can tell you for sure that the survey was not representative of the overall immigrant population. For instance, the survey states that 72% favor a path to citizenship. Among the 18-29 yera old, 85% favor a path to citizenship while only 56% of the 65+ years old favor it. So, for the overall percent of immigrants in favor of path to citizenship to go down from 85% (among younger people) to 72%, the percent of eldery in the sample would have to be greater than 43%, which is totally not representive of the overall immigrant population.

Now, you may well not have the brain to understand the political agenda behind these studies or you may be purposely creating your own agenda to bamboozle other people; whatever it is, have a little decency and stop spreading lies, propaganda and creating stereotypes about other people. This serves no purpose but to create a hostile environment in which no progress can be made and the society as whole will sffer as a result. Wake up, it is expected that China will controle more than 60% of the world's wealth by 2040, they are graduating more students than US, they have more than 1.3 billion people ready to take over the world. But no, that's not your concern, all you care about is to spew hate and label people. Stop the small mindedness and the unproductive sassiness, lets work together to advance the cause of freedom for future generations.

By the way, dont tell me to go back to Africa. I love America, I am here and I wont let you spoil it for me. Peace! </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Kumna,

This was a great post!!!!!!

Comment

No you lazy immigrants who steal from taxpayers are the problem.

Pointing out the fact that immigrants abuse welfare and consider citizenship as just a reason to preserve access to welfare is a patriotic act.

You just can't deal with facts.

Attacking the bearer of bad news does not make you right. It just exposes you as ignorant.

Comment

And I rest my case showing that the immigrants on this site always complain, like sprint and brit, that they don't have enough welfare.

Comment

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">There was quite a bit wrong with kuma's reply . People over 65 don't get welfare. Fact one wrong. What they get is social security </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I think when Kumna said welfare, he meant social security. Just used the wrong term.

Comment

Actually Social Security is welfare! Check the congressional budget office.

Got to go now, I can elaborate on it later.

Comment

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Kumna:
                        Actually Social Security is welfare! Check the congressional budget office.

Got to go now, I can elaborate on it later. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I have to disagree with you on that, Kumna. Comparing welfare to social security is like comparing apples to oranges. And, if someone tells me when I'm 66 1/2 that I'm on welfare, they better run for their life - lol!!!!

Comment

See bold, Kumna.

http://www.welfareinfo.org/

US Welfare System - Help for US Citizens

Federally funded and governed US welfare began in the 1930's during the Great Depression. The US government responded to the overwhelming number of families and individuals in need of aid by creating a welfare program that would give assistance to those who had little or no income.

The US welfare system stayed in the hands of the federal government for the next sixty-one years. Many Americans were unhappy with the welfare system, claiming that individuals were abusing the welfare program by not applying for jobs, having more children just to get more aid, and staying unmarried so as to qualify for greater benefits. Welfare system reform became a hot topic in the1990's. Bill Clinton was elected as President with the intention of reforming the federally run US Welfare program. In 1996 the Republican Congress passed a reform law signed by President Clinton that gave the control of the welfare system back to the states.

Eligibility Requirements for State Welfare Program

Eligibility for a Welfare program depends on numerous factors. Eligibility is determined using gross and net income, size of the family, and any crisis situation such as medical emergencies, pregnancy, homelessness or unemployment. A case worker is assigned to those applying for aid. They will gather all the necessary information to determine the amount and type of benefits that an individual is eligible for.

The Federal government provides assistance through TANF (Temporary Assistance for Needy Families). TANF is a grant given to each state to run their own welfare program. To help overcome the former problem of unemployment due to reliance on the welfare system, the TANF grant requires that all recipients of welfare aid must find work within two years of receiving aid, including single parents who are required to work at least 30 hours per week opposed to 35 or 55 required by two parent families. Failure to comply with work requirements could result in loss of benefits.

Types of Welfare Available

The type and amount of aid available to individuals and dependent children varies from state to state. When the Federal Government gave control back to the states there was no longer one source and one set of requirements. Most states offer basic aid such as health care, food stamps, child care assistance, unemployment, cash aid, and housing assistance.

How to Apply for a Welfare Program

To apply for a welfare program one must contact the local Human Service Department located in the government pages of the phone book. It may be listed as Human Services, Family Services or Adult and Family Services. An appointment is made with a case worker. The case worker will give a list of required documents needed at the appointment. Common documents asked for are proof of income, ID, and utility bills or other proof of residency.

Once an appointment is completed a case worker will review all required documents, applications and information provided at the meeting. They will use this information to determine eligibility and the am

Comment

Kumna, see bolded text. Maybe you are confusing Social Security Retirement benefics with Social Security Insurance?????

How does social security retirement get its funding?

Legal businesses who employ individuals for work in exchange for money in the USA have a tax ID number that is unique and attached to all finances which is on file by the Internal Revenue Service (IRS) and the Federal Treasury Department (also known as FMS, Financial Management Services). To be a legal and legitimate employee, an individual employee must have a Social Security Number that is unique and attached to their personal full name, date of birth, city and state of birth and mother's maiden name and is kept on a Master Beneficiary Number file through their lifetime for earnings, taxes, identification, and other references. From each pay check earned for services, work, compensation or tips that an individual receives from their employer it includes a taxation from their gross earning that is set aside into an account for Social Security and Medicare. It is strictly money that comes from the EMPLOYEE only. The taxed funds do not include money from any other source: not the employer, the county, or state. It is from the worker's earned income only. It is not the same as Workers Compensation Fund.
                            A person may have one employer his entire working career or he may have several, dozens, hundreds of different employers until he retires or becomes disabled and unable to do any gainful work. The uniquely identifiable Social Security Number assigned to you, the employee, follows your earning history and the special taxable amounts set aside into the Social Security and Medicare funds are always accruing and kept up to date. Therefore, when you retire from your profession, trade, skilled labor, etc., you notify Social Security Administration and begin to receive back all the moneys you paid into that fund which the Federal government taxed out of your paychecks in monthly benefit checks. So you receive a monthly check, a pension, regularly, from money which YOU EARNED AND SAVED for retirement or should a serious disability arise that forces you to stop working and begin receiving those funds. The funding in Social Security Administration to beneficiaries comes from THEIR paid work. It is not generated by the government itself nor public taxes: the social security administration check I received this month is actually money I saved while I was younger and able to work at my job.

This is not to be confused with Social Security Insurance, known as 'SSI'. Social Security INSURANCE recipients receive a monthly stipend that is funded by state and county public taxes. Therefore, a small child can be a recipient of SSI, or a young blind person, or anyone who is ultimately unable to fend for themselves financially and would otherwise be unfed, without a home or the ability to pay for medication and living expenses necessary for survival. Due to our society's economic structure, this social insurance is funded by public taxes and is necessary for the health, safety and welfare of the general public. Without it, those who are unable to have adequate jobs and medical benefits for illness, medicine, hospitalization, childbirth, etc. would be at a total disadvantage, mainly through no fault of their own for whatever reason exists, to survive and would basically resort to desperate crimes to be able to eat, have shelter and live with the rest of the society.

However, the beneficiaries of Social Security Administration Retirement are people who are receiving money they earned themselves and are classified different ways. Some are early retirement people, who became disabled and paid enough into their funds to collect it sooner; some are veterans who are retirement age or were injured while serving in the military forces; some are retired that worked for the railroad industry their whole working career, which is a major contributor and factor in our country's economic success. Others are spouses who did not work outside of the home but contributed by raising children and making sure they were educated and fed in a safe home so they could go on and become independent, self sufficient members in society and therefore are entitled to receive a retirement pension of their own from the husband or wife's working fund, because the Federal government and society recognizes that to be the same as being employed full time, even more so.

We hope you have a better understanding and answer about how or where the funds come from regarding Social Security Administration's Retirement. It is a good question that many people think about often but is often overlooked when talked about or read in books and newspapers.

Comment

Well, I just thought I would provide some education on the subject - lol!!! When I'm old, I don't want people referring to me as a welfare recipient being I've held a job (sometimes 2 or 3 at a time) since I was 16!

Comment

Working...
                              X