green card and run

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• green card and run

I MET MY HUSBAND IN THE US WHILE HE WAS HERE USING A WORK VISA. HE FLEW BACK TO HIS COUNTRY. HE TOLD ME OVER AND OVER AGAIN HOW MUCH HE LOVED ME. I FLEW TO HIS COUNTRY AND WE WERE MARRIED IN HIS COUNTRY. HE THEN CAME TO THE US TO LIVE AS A PERM RES WITH CONDITION. WE WENT IN FOR OUR INTERVIEW LAST JUNE. LAST MONTH HE GOT HE 10 YEAR GREEN CARD AS A PERM RES. WELL.... HE LEFT ME 3 WEEKS AGO. DO I HAVE TO GO BACK TO HIS COUTNRY TO GET A DIVORCE. MY FRIEND SAID WE MAY NOT EVEN BE CONSIDERED MARRIED IN THE US. ANYBODY HAVE INFORMATION REGARDING THIS SITUATION THAT CAN HELP? THANK YOU IN ADVANCE!

I MET MY HUSBAND IN THE US WHILE HE WAS HERE USING A WORK VISA. HE FLEW BACK TO HIS COUNTRY. HE TOLD ME OVER AND OVER AGAIN HOW MUCH HE LOVED ME. I FLEW TO HIS COUNTRY AND WE WERE MARRIED IN HIS COUNTRY. HE THEN CAME TO THE US TO LIVE AS A PERM RES WITH CONDITION. WE WENT IN FOR OUR INTERVIEW LAST JUNE. LAST MONTH HE GOT HE 10 YEAR GREEN CARD AS A PERM RES. WELL.... HE LEFT ME 3 WEEKS AGO. DO I HAVE TO GO BACK TO HIS COUTNRY TO GET A DIVORCE. MY FRIEND SAID WE MAY NOT EVEN BE CONSIDERED MARRIED IN THE US. ANYBODY HAVE INFORMATION REGARDING THIS SITUATION THAT CAN HELP? THANK YOU IN ADVANCE!

Comment

Well he could hardly adjusted on the basis of marriage if the Marriage was not recognised.

Divorce is a State issue, see a good Family lawyer.

Comment

What is it with the grints and leaving at the 6 month mark after getting the greencard? Do they know of an immigration rule about 6 months? Everytime, they leave at 6 months; hmmmm.....

Comment

Sorry yuo are bad lucky

Comment

I'm not sure, but I recently met a lady who was married in another country, she told me that she and her husband had to appear at the foreign consulate office here in the US together for divorce. If that's true, you could call the consulate office for whichever country you were married and ask them what to do or just call a divorce lawyer in your state. If there are specific rules associated with marriage abroad, the lawyer will know.

Comment

Michael,

I agree with you on the six-months thing, I have seen it over and over. I guess it's in the How to Marry An American For Dummies Book
              My ex stayed with me for six-months, so I'm sure somewhere in his twisted mind he thought that was long enough to secure his residency.

Comment

thank you to all who have resopnded.

Comment

Dear Laurka,

I think all of Americans will tell you that All Foreigners are like that..Green Card is their ultimate goal in deceiving Americans..Sometimes it is not true, but in any case, when it does happen it is a tragedy for the other person. I am not American and all I can tell you is that there were probabaly signs along the road before he took off...Nevertheless, maybe you loved him too much. I think you can post an ad in a newspaper in his country after you get a lawyer..He must have an address where you can serve him with notices to appear in fron of a judge in the US..After a certain time, you get divorced without his consent. I am not a lawyer, but you need first of all to find out where he is and is coming back at all? It is funny that I had an interview in June and never received anything even though I had no intention of leaving my husband at the time..Life works in a mysterious way. Good Luck.

Comment

Working...
                  X