I-485 Q

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I-485 Q

I had file I-485 Application to Register Permanent Residence or to Adjust Status /Based on Asylum admission more than 1 year ago./

My case is pending.

I am getting married to British citizen who is a green card holder.
    Do we have to apply now for a green card based on our marriage or I have to wait for my I-485 based on Asylum status to be resolved.
    Thanks.

I had file I-485 Application to Register Permanent Residence or to Adjust Status /Based on Asylum admission more than 1 year ago./

My case is pending.

I am getting married to British citizen who is a green card holder.
    Do we have to apply now for a green card based on our marriage or I have to wait for my I-485 based on Asylum status to be resolved.
    Thanks.

Comment

am i correct saying u can apply twice????? i remember reading something on it a while back.... will go looking

Comment

I have no idea if I have to wait for my pending 1-485 aplication.
        Or we have to cancel the first application for I-485 and apply again based on our marriage.
        Do I have to notify the immigration about my marriage, because I come as a asylum under my father case/as a minor/.
        Now I am 20 y.o.
        Thanks

Comment

Do you know when you'll be able to adjust status based on asylum? I remember seeing a schedule somewhere.

Don't cancel anything right now. There is about 5 years wait (from when I-130 is filed) for spouses of PRs to be able to file for adjustment of status. If your husband becomes USC, you don't have to wait.

I think your husband can file I-130 for you while the other case is pending. I am not sure though.

Comment

Right now the LOCAL office is working with cases 1-485 received on July 17 2006 .

My father applied to adjust my status originally 2003 - Nebraska service center.

I got letter from Nebraska that on November 2006 they sent my case to SANTA ANA office, CA- in order to speed up the processing time.

I do not know what date to consider now- 2003 -Nebraska or 2006- Santa Ana ,CA.
            If I consider 2003 - is out of processing time.

If I consider 2006/November - that means few more months waiting probably .
            Santa Ana doe's not have a phone number for answering questions.
            Nebraska phone number - do not have new info about the case - just - YOUR CASE was transferred to Santa Ana.......

So far we don't know if we MUST notify the immigration for the marriage , and if do I have to apply again to adjust my status based on marriage to a green card holder or I have to stick to my old application/I-485/ based on my ASYLUM status which was done by my father.

Comment

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Martina:
              Right now the LOCAL office is working with cases 1-485 received on July 17 2006. </div></BLOCKQUOTE> Where did you get that info? Are those just "any" cases or asylum based AOS? I don't know much about it, but isn't there a limit on how many asylants can adjust status in a year?

Comment

OMG I checked the processing time for I-485 based on marriage to a green card holder.
                They are working on cases failed 2002 !!
                Do you guys have any idea how long will take if we apply in England ,because my husband /UK citizen and a green card holder/ spends a few mounts in England every year?
                Thanks

Comment

To ANERI :
                  \There is the processing time table :
                  You can get the idea about the processing time for your case here :

http://www.ilw.com/govttimes/index.asp

Comment

I485s are applied in USA. Or are u wishing to remain in the UK. UK do not process Adjustment of status! If ur wanting to reamin in UK then its a completely different ball game and here is a different forum that can help u WWW.britishexpats.com.

Comment

Thanks ntfd3
                      It Looks like you are right - ntfd3.

Comment

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Martina:
                        OMG I checked the processing time for I-485 based on marriage to a green card holder.
                        They are working on cases failed 2002 !!
                        Do you guys have any idea how long will take if we apply in England ,because my husband /UK citizen and a green card holder/ spends a few mounts in England every year?
                        Thanks </div></BLOCKQUOTE> but you are neither the resident nor UK citizen, so you can't go through the consular processing there to become a resident in USA. Even if you could, it would be the same wait 5 year wait since your future husband is PR not USC.
                        To ANERI :
                        You can get the idea about the processing time for your case here :
                        http://www.ilw.com/govttimes/index.asp </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
                        I am done with that...

I found the answer to my question. " REAL ID Act of 2005, Pub. L. 109-13, 119 Stat. 231, amends section 209 of the Immigration and Nationality Act to eliminate the yearly cap on asylee adjustments. Therefore, there has been no longer a limit to the number of asylees who can become lawful permanent residents in any year since May 2005." Before that, there was a cap of 10000 per year.

Comment

I have pending I-485 form - Asylum status failed from my father when I was minor.
                          My father application I-485 is also pending .
                          Can I open a second application for a green card, because my husband is a green card holder.
                          If I open a second 1-485 form are they
                          going to cancel my first application ,because of my marriage .
                          I mean I am not dependent from my father any more.
                          Thanks

Comment

Martina

I take it that you attained your asylee status as a derivative beneficiary from your father. If this is so then I must inform you that if you marry this man you will not be able to adjust status. While you are technically entitled to protection under the Child Status Protection Act to adjust to an LPR as the child of your father, this only protects you as long as you remain as "child" as defined under the law. If you marry you will no longer be a "child" and you technically will not be able to adjust. Of course, this is only if the USCIS discovers that you are married. But why take the chance? Just wait to get married until after you get your green card. Then there is no potential disasters / fraud charges that may come up in the future.
                            [edit] However, if you marry and abandon the refugee adjustment application I believe you will remain an asylee and could adjust status in the future based on your marriage to an LPR.
                            Note: This is not legal advice. For legal advice contact a competent immigration attorney. http://asylumlaw.blogspot.com

Comment

To Senowen

http://www.uscis.gov/files/article/B1.pdf

I sow this info about LPR parents-child ,but I could not find info about ASYLUM status.
                              Can you please tell me how I can cheak if you are right.
                              Ant link/web?
                              Thanks

Comment

Working...
                              X