AOS from F-1 to Perm. Res.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• AOS from F-1 to Perm. Res.

I am currently on a F-1 visa doing my pratical training. I recently got married to a U.S citizen and was wondering how do I go about changing my status. Also my student visa expires in Feb 2006 will this be enough time?

I am currently on a F-1 visa doing my pratical training. I recently got married to a U.S citizen and was wondering how do I go about changing my status. Also my student visa expires in Feb 2006 will this be enough time?

Comment

yes, you have enough time. prepare your I-130 and I-485 application.

Comment

Hi mtj,

as Tomlotus said, your USC spouse files I-130, and you file I-485 and other forms (employment authorization, advance parole for traveling) at the same time. http://uscis.gov/graphics/howdoi/LPRApplication.htm

Once you mail the documents and receive Notice of Action (in 2 - 4 weeks), you'll be in so-called "AOS-pending" status.

Comment

i didnt mention this but i got married in a different country and came back under my student visa status. will this alter anything?

Comment

it can, depending on the circumstences.

- the problem may be that you used non-immigrant F1 visa to enter the US, while you had immigrant intent (living permanently in the US with your US spouse).

When and where (in your home country?) did you get married?

Comment

got married in canada last month, i entered back into the US because I am working under my F-1 and needed to get back to work.

Comment

Working...
              X