Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dv Lottery Winner: Adjust Status Processing Times

Won the DV 2007 Lottery. Am legally working in the US (have an H1B) so was planning to apply for adjustment of status. Its my understanding that I can only apply when my "visa number" is ready.
    Am concerned with the time it take to process this paperwork within the US, especially as all applications must be completed by Sept 07. At what time can I send in my paperwork i.e. must I wait for my visa number to come up, or do I send in the paperwork now and they will contact me when my number comes up???

Your thoughts?

Thank You

Won the DV 2007 Lottery. Am legally working in the US (have an H1B) so was planning to apply for adjustment of status. Its my understanding that I can only apply when my "visa number" is ready.
    Am concerned with the time it take to process this paperwork within the US, especially as all applications must be completed by Sept 07. At what time can I send in my paperwork i.e. must I wait for my visa number to come up, or do I send in the paperwork now and they will contact me when my number comes up???

Your thoughts?

Thank You

Comment

You cannot submit until your number comes up (if it comes up -- there is a possibility it will not).

Comment

Thanks, that a real ***mer, especially when you have to consider the time for finger printing, interviews etc

Comment

Kibs,

It depends on your Case Number that you can find on your notification letter that you received from Kentucky office. The number starts from AS.... if your native country is in Asia, AF... for Africa, and so on. If your number is low (say under 10 thousand, your chances of getting a second letter is higher. This letter notifies you about your interview date. If you have lower number, it is better to stay here and process for AOS when your number becomes current. If it is higher, I would personally chose for counselor processing. Counselor processing is safer, because you do not have to go through name check, and such which takes longer to get here in USA

Comment

I was also selected in the DV 2007 and was confused about the "when your number becomes available" bit. I'll tell you what I went through so far. I recieved notification back in April and after scheduling an appointment with Infopass, I was told by the officer to apply immediately. I did, and within no time (maybe 2-3 weeks) i was called for fingerprinting. Then I heard ntohing for about 6 weeks and then one day got a letter in the mail saying my application was denied because I applied too early! Therfore my $395 went down the drain! I freaked out and called the Kentucky consular center who told me not to worry because the time for 2007 winners to apply is Oct 1- Sep 30 07. So yesterday I once again filled out the I-485 packet and will be mailing it out today or tomorrow. By the way, regarding how long it takes - the Kentucky Consular people told me not to worry because I have a very very low number "which is one of the best numbers to have" according to them. I just pray that this time everything goes well. Hope this helps. Let me know if you have any more questions.

Comment

That definetely sheds light on things. Thank you Sgo and SA. That confirms that I have to wait for my number to become current. Sgo, congrats on the low number and all the best with your application. My numbers higher (19,000's) so am torn between consular processing which would mean having to fly out of the country for my interview or doing AOS here. Looking at previous bulletin archives, my number probably wont be available till about March-May next yr.

Comment

Wait! How do you know when your number becomes available? I thought that everyone can go ahead and apply from October 1st?

Comment

Based on my understanding (disclaimer right there!!) and confirmed by KMcTram regarding waiting for your number to be available, you check the visa bulletin at the Dept of State
                  http://travel.state.gov/visa/frvi/bu...etin_3032.html

Comment

Kibs,

What is your "region"? Yes, 19,000 is quite high. DV2006 was a luck year, because all regions' case number became current by Sept 06. DV2005 was pretty bad, because only 10 thousand plus for Asia became current. If I were you I would go for consular processing just to be on safer side. By the way, I was also a DV winner for DV99 and my number was 1000+. My region was Asia. I went through consular processing.

Comment

what is consular processing?

Comment

SA,
                        My regions Africa
                        Congrats on getting you GC

Comment

dragonslayr, if you opt for consular processing, that means you will apply for your green card through the US consulate in your country, instead of applying for an adjustment of status in the US.

Comment

Kibs,

Thanks! 19000 for AF does not look bad at all based on the prior visa bulletins. Hopefully your are not from one of those African countries that has very high migration numbers to US. Good luck!

Comment

My DV-2007 # is AS 6000+. I am her ein US under F1 status right now. Can I go to USCIS office and fill out i-485 for AOS right now? Or do I have to wait for my number to be current?

Comment

Sorry, you are not authorized to view this page

Home Page

Immigration Daily

Archives

Processing times

Immigration forms

Discussion board

Resources

Blogs

Twitter feed

Immigrant Nation