Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• K-4 Visa

Hi Everyone,
    I am new and was wondering if I could get some feedback on my queries. About 19 months ago, while I was still a LPR, I got married while on vacation abroad. My husband and I decided that we would be better off holding off on submitting his I-130 application until I become a USC. (we figured either way, we'd have to wait). However, back then, I was not aware that there was the K-4 provision for spouses and their kids, or we would've submitted his I-130 immediately and then upgraded when I became a USC.

I just submitted his I-130 application and am awaiting INS' confirmation of receipt in order to apply for the K-4 visa for him. Does anyone know, either from experience or conjecture, about how long it takes usually before the ball gets rolling once the K-4 application is submitted? I was told that we will have to wait until the consulate in the country where we got married contacts us. Also, will I have to accompany my husband when he is going to any interview? (Note: I am back in the US and he is still in his homeland).

I know that we are facing quite a daunting deadline.

Any response will be appreciated!
    Thanks!
    "I don't suffer from insanity! I enjoy every minute of it!"

Hi Everyone,
    I am new and was wondering if I could get some feedback on my queries. About 19 months ago, while I was still a LPR, I got married while on vacation abroad. My husband and I decided that we would be better off holding off on submitting his I-130 application until I become a USC. (we figured either way, we'd have to wait). However, back then, I was not aware that there was the K-4 provision for spouses and their kids, or we would've submitted his I-130 immediately and then upgraded when I became a USC.

I just submitted his I-130 application and am awaiting INS' confirmation of receipt in order to apply for the K-4 visa for him. Does anyone know, either from experience or conjecture, about how long it takes usually before the ball gets rolling once the K-4 application is submitted? I was told that we will have to wait until the consulate in the country where we got married contacts us. Also, will I have to accompany my husband when he is going to any interview? (Note: I am back in the US and he is still in his homeland).

I know that we are facing quite a daunting deadline.

Any response will be appreciated!
    Thanks!

Comment

You pretty much have the process down. Once you get the receipt notice for the I-130, file the I-129F. You will send this to the national benefits center, NOT the service center where you filed the I-130. The visa interview will be in his country. The visa is a K-3. If he has any minor children, they will get the K-4. I don't think you need to be at the interview, but I'm not positive. You'll probably get a packet in the mail from the consulate once your I-129F goes through telling you exactly what you'll need to bring to the interview. If you're still not sure, you can call the consulate and ask.
      Have a nice day

Comment

Thanks for your reply G.
        Based upon your response, am I correct in saying:
        1) that I file the I-129F at the NBC in the US and they will, in turn, alert the consulate in his country? Will they (either the NBC or the Consulate alert my hubs or I or both?)
        2) And just for clarification, he will most likely be attending his visa interview alone in his country? (gosh, this process gets more complicated the more I read!)
        Again, I appreciate your response. It's just that its all new to me and I want to be sure that I have my ducks lined up as neatly as possible in a row (if I can!) =^..^=

Comment

Number one is correct. I'm not sure about number two. What country is he from? Maybe the consulate has info about the K-3 on thier website. I know that the consulate where I'll be apply for my husband has everything listed on thier website. I doubt you'll have to be there, but I don't want to say one way or another 'cause I'm just not sure.
          Have a nice day

Comment

He is from Guyana in South America. I checked the Consulate's website, and found practically no helpful information there as to the specific questions I have in mind.

Comment

I would try calling them.
              Have a nice day

Comment

Working...
              X