Immigration by marriage - some questions

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Immigration by marriage - some questions

I will be marrying an illegal alien in the fall and am wondering on the timeline of everything. From my research I understand the following:

I or my husband to be files various forms such as adjustment of status, I-130, biographic info, medical, affidevit of support and work authorization. Then we wait to hear from USIS.

How long will it be then for the following on average?

1. work authorization
    2. Our interview
    3. To get his greencard
    4. To get travel authorization

Are there any steps I have missed out?

We live in Los Angeles, CA

I will be marrying an illegal alien in the fall and am wondering on the timeline of everything. From my research I understand the following:

I or my husband to be files various forms such as adjustment of status, I-130, biographic info, medical, affidevit of support and work authorization. Then we wait to hear from USIS.

1. work authorization
    2. Our interview
    3. To get his greencard

We live in Los Angeles, CA

Comment

hi littlesthobo and welcome, but before i answer your question u said your jusband is illegal? was he illegal at the first place or he overstayed or what exactly? how did he entered the country the first time? and how long have he been in the u.s exactly?

Comment

Are you a USC citizen?

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by littlesthobo:

1. work authorization
        2. Our interview
        3. To get his greencard

We live in Los Angeles, CA </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Comment

he came in on a visa waiver and overstayed so he was inspected by an immigration official. He has been here 9 years.

Comment

Are you a US Citizen?<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by littlesthobo:
            he came in on a visa waiver and overstayed so he was inspected by an immigration official. He has been here 9 years. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Comment

yes i am a us citizen. sorry should have supplied that information

Comment

You will need to file an I-131 is he wants to have advance parole<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by littlesthobo:

1. work authorization
                2. Our interview
                3. To get his greencard

We live in Los Angeles, CA </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Comment

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by littlesthobo:
                  he came in on a visa waiver and overstayed so he was inspected by an immigration official. He has been here 9 years. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

If he came in as a VWP alien, he may not be allowed to adjust his status on US soil.

Comment

yes he will actually, doesn't matter visa waiver or not, he entered legally on a valid visa and he overstayed, if he marry a u.s citizen they goverment will forget about the overstaying part and he will be able to adjust under the 245I .
                    littlesthobo u guys have to get married as sson as possible and then u will have to file the i-130 and I-485 and evidence, I-765, I-131, and G32FA for u and one for him , he will be able to adjust without leaving the country , if he leaves now he will be banned for 10 or more.

Comment

Mike check your message on your phone...
                      "Until the color of a man's skin is of no more significance than the color of his eyes everywhere will be war"...................BOB MARLEY

Comment

my phone? lol

Comment

i didnt recieve no msgs? lol

Comment

Sorry, Mike, overstaying a visa to satisfy the "legal entry" requirement is different from an overstay by an alien from one of the VWP or Visa Waiver Program participating countries. Visa waiver means "no visa" has been issued by the US Department of State. Upon entry the VWP alien is being given Form I-94W (or visa has been waived) and the legal stay being given is only up to 90 days purely for tourism and/or business purposes. So in that case, a VWP alien is overstaying on what kind of visa, if no visa has been issued in the first place?

Comment

Cell phone Mike..
                              "Until the color of a man's skin is of no more significance than the color of his eyes everywhere will be war"...................BOB MARLEY

Comment

Working...
                              X