Rising from the wreckage of George W. Bush

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What about McCain looking the other way when the torture bill was watered down through amendments and signing statements to become just another empty gesture?

Where's the respect for the Constitution and for fundamental values of humanity? I'd think that'd be kinda like a little more important than a flag pin....

He was a POW, and he was tortured, and now he keeps quiet when his own party wants to engage in the same thing. I will never understand that! Is the GOP so powerful that it can do away with such critical moral issues in the minds of those who lived their horrors first hand? Wow...

Substance, give me substance, not some empty gesture.

Comment

Nobody was asking for the Gov. to print the case as a public record. Nobody was asking for exposure, disclosure or even a trial. It was supposed to be a "degree" of Due Process and even Sen. Specter filed amicus for the detainees because the constitutional violations were too evident. Justice Breyer talked about it, and he made a clear case of what was required but lacking just to keep the law at a bare minimum of constitutionality.

But that was just the case related to Habeas where the GOP lawmakers were overruled 3 times in a row by the Supreme Court.

No, I'm talking about torture, plain and simple. Torture. The evidence is there, you can see for yourself.

The ONLY thing accomplished was the degradation of the good name of the United States in the public arena.

McCain suffered the cruelty and horrors of torture, he's making a big point out of that. Now, why in God's name would he tolerate the same punishment to be inflicted upon others?

Honestly? I don't think McCain likes torture one bit, he just cannot, but he's bowing his head to GOP leadership on one of the most critical issues. Was Trent Lott a POW? I don't think so!

Lots have been said about war and security and all. Rumsfeld said himself, right after the attacks, "if the U.S. changes its way, the terrorists win", and now torture is being made legal, and the Constitution seems to be reduced to a mere afterthought, a problem to deal with later on.

Comment

The better audience to ask these questions is the family of victims of 9/11 and other terrorist incidents around the world. Only close family member can relate to the pain NO ONE ELSE. When you are at war, at times you have to forget certain things, break laws etc for the better of lot more. These terrorists didn't think once before killing innocents, they have no constitution, they are monsters and we are expected to be humane to monsters.
        If Democrats Had Any Brains, They'd Be Republicans

Democrats - Brave enough to KILL our unborn, just NOT our ENEMIES!

Comment

How little you understand about what it means to be an American, how little you understand about this nation.

Your post is so pathetic, I will not waste time with an explanation to rebut your clearly misguided opinion. If you wanna know the basics about the Constitution, go back to the 7th Grade.

Jesus Christ, and I thought most people knew at least the meaning of the Constitution and what it represents, at least at a general level.

Comment

Waterboarding is not torture. There is nothing wrong with torturing terrorists/moslems. I have more compassion for an ant I step on by accident than for them.

Comment

The U.S. Constitution does not protect foreigners; it is for U.S. Citizens only.

Comment

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Houston:
                How little you understand about what it means to be an American, how little you understand about this nation.

Your post is so pathetic, I will not waste time with an explanation to rebut your clearly misguided opinion. If you wanna know the basics about the Constitution, go back to the 7th Grade.

Jesus Christ, and I thought most people knew at least the meaning of the Constitution and what it represents, at least at a general level. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Constitution was written when there were no terrorists killing innocent civilians. These teorrists have found a way to manipulate our constitution and they know it very well that an monstrous act they commit will be protected under US Constitution with right of due course and then lawyers manipulating things, appeals after appeals and no justice for victims. It is time our constitution is amended to fit the current society and time.
                If Democrats Had Any Brains, They'd Be Republicans

Democrats - Brave enough to KILL our unborn, just NOT our ENEMIES!

Comment

Yes, when the Constitution was written there were equally preposterous acts being committed and they were fresh, in fact, in the memory of the Framers.

Try a soldier using a sword to decapitate a child and then burn the body for all to see.

Call that "excusable"? But the Framers were real patriots, and they knew better, they knew the meaning of the word honor and they knew restrain. Those are the values embedded in the Constitution, and you should know that as well.

Comment

Sorry, you are not authorized to view this page

Home Page

Immigration Daily

Archives

Processing times

Immigration forms

Discussion board

Resources

Blogs

Twitter feed

Immigrant Nation