Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• a nonimmigrant women giving birth to US citizen

Hi all,

I am on nonimmigrant visa and rightnow 8th month pregnant. I would like to have some information regarding my status. I am in desperate need of help as my husband is a wife beater and now that i m pregnant cant do anything. I want to know what are my rights if i give birth to a child here ...is it possible for me to stay here without support of my husband..is there any way i can change my status and start a job...asi am totally dependent on him. I am a highly qualified person but as i m on dependent visa H4 i cant work..please provide some information on this.
    thanks

Hi all,

I am on nonimmigrant visa and rightnow 8th month pregnant. I would like to have some information regarding my status. I am in desperate need of help as my husband is a wife beater and now that i m pregnant cant do anything. I want to know what are my rights if i give birth to a child here ...is it possible for me to stay here without support of my husband..is there any way i can change my status and start a job...asi am totally dependent on him. I am a highly qualified person but as i m on dependent visa H4 i cant work..please provide some information on this.
    thanks

Comment

Birthright citizenship law (14th amendment)has not been changed yet, and won't be within next month so your child will be USC if born in US.
      Just a birth of USC child gives you NO legal rights to remain in US soil past the expiration of your visa, nor any other immigration benefits.

As a battered woman, you may want to explore your rights.

Best of luck!

Comment

do you have an insurance? who will pay you birth?

Comment

Go to USCIS website and check on your rights as an abused woman. You do have options. First of all - get to a shelter. NOW ASAP You can change status as an abused woman. Is your husband a USC?

Comment

Under the Violence Against Women Act (VAWA), the spouses and children of US citizens or lawful permanent residents (LPR) may selfpetition to obtain lawful permanent residency
            Form I-360 (Petition for, Widow(er), or Special Immigrant) at a USCIS office.

From what OP writes >>
            i m on dependent visa H4
            << it appears that her husband holds H (nonimmigrant) Visa.

More info on WAVA:
            http://www.nanay.com/News%20Update/O...%20spouses.htm

Comment

If you're from SE Asia, there are associations of volunteers to help women in your situation. You might try a web search.

Comment

Working...
              X