Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Dr. Lavoisier:
    As another person commented, you can't mess with the immigration law. You want to hide this from your family? Do you realize you sometimes have to show photos of you guys with the parents and other relatives at gatherings, etc. One example is a couple didn't realize that in a photo she was on one end and her husband was on the other end of a group of people. Immigration told them that it seemed like they were just good friends. The couple honestly didn't realize it, was an honest blunder on their part. But one needs more than one photo of course. I've no clue as to what they'd say if you told the truth about living apart for school as long as you have banking, lease contracts, etc. in both your names to show as proof of your legitimate marriage. I see where your coming from but you need to speak with an attorney. Good luck.

Comment

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by HBKHBK:
      There is no love involved....
      otherwise, your so called "g-f" would make sure she goes home and visits her family and friends,makes sure she gets everyhting she needs together...applies for fiance visa etc and then comes here as anyone who is in love...

Man when my wife and decided to get married after 4 years of dating...how I spent almost 17 months back in europe,to get everyhting together,safe money,get all the paper work...say good bye to friends etc etc....

but your g-f is in the us as a student...she just wants to stay here and work??? getting married is not that easy...and either way,she will have to go back home anyway, at least in most cases....

you truly love her and want the best outcome???
      tell her to go gome after she graduated...safe mone and come here,get married and live happily...

unless you just wanna admit you wanna do fraud?

who else gets married and does not wanna let any family member know about it???
      INS will find stuff like that out and not to mention you guys won't be even living together after marriage if that would happen..and if it comes out fraud and all that,you will be liable as well and its a felony my friend.
      Immigration law is veru very complex,don't mess with it. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
      I would not be too sure about your conclusions. After all, at least one is in school with the other working or in school. This can be reasonably explained as to why two different addresses.

Not notifying the family may involve issues not pertaining to immigration law. There may be cultural issues, but no info is given at this time.

Their situation is not an impossible one, but it amy take some explaining to do. If the fiancee is in a good educational program in NY, why would she want to change her enrollment status to Massachusetts? And if the other spouse has a good job and cannot relocate to NY, why should he move? Or is it your presumption that women should only be barefoot and make babies?
      "Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passion, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence." John Adams on Defense of the boston Massacre

Comment

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Dr. Lavoisier:
        it is not fraud. It is just that we both recently graduated from college and we need to attend graduate school. She wants to go to NY and I don't like NY. Beside, she need to spend 2 years in her profession in NY to obtain her archicheture license. We were hoping her job would buy us time to complete our dream. But it seems the only thing to do now is to marry her so she can stay in the states. Do you have any other options. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
        She can change her status from F to J visa when she goes to graduate school. She just needs to fill out a I-539 form and submit the proper documents to extend her stay and change visa status. Marrying is the other option.
        "Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passion, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence." John Adams on Defense of the boston Massacre

Comment

Thank you very much for your comment Explora. we do have pictures with each other families. I don't want to do anything that seems illegal that is why I am asking for advice.

Comment

Dr. Lavoisier:
            Just a friendly question. I know you said you didn't want the parents to think you guys were marrying to obtain papers so you didn't want to tell them. Your intentions are legitimate regarding the marriage. Your uncertain about the school locations and I commend you for asking advise beforehand so that you hopefully wouldn't have any unexpected problems in the future. Back to the parents, somewhere in life there's always somebody that will doubt something. If the two of you are sincere, then if there's any doubt from anybody, you can make them rest assured the marriage isn't soley for the papers. You aren't going to need any unnecessary stress in the future. Let the parents know. What if one of you were in an accident and next of kin is notified and then it comes out that your married? The parents will question why you lied and then they'll surely believe you did it for the papaers. One way or another it will come out. I heard it happened in a dentist office one time where the receptionist mentioned the relationship by addressing "your wife" to an individual. It just so happened that the lady that worked in the office of the company that the lady was employed through happened to be in the lobby and overheard it. It spread like a bad rumour through the jobsite. Keep things simple as you can. You'll have enough stress dealing with immigration and your plans for your relocations. I've also heard that sometimes Immigration wants to have notarized statements by friends or family members that the marriage is not a sham. What if they suddenly asked for your parents to sign or come in for the interview with you? Whew! Lots of explaining real quick, eh? You could also go to About.com/immigration, they have a site that you can get on a discussion board also. It's hosted by Jennifer and Peter Wipf. You know many lawyers give you a free consultation and usually over the phone first. Take advantage of it and give some a call and get some feedback. Try to relax, as I said before, with all documents in the same name, etc. I don't see where you'd have problems. Good luck.

Comment

Thank you for all your advice. I think if I do get married, I will at least involve my immediate family members. However, we have plenty of time to decide. Thanks.

Comment

Dr.
                Its honestly not as easy as you or your g-f think.And I would be very very carefully,because once cought its honestly a felony.Unless you guys really truly wanna get married because of LOVE and love only...
                and if that was really the case,your g-f would go back and do the Finacee think,that way both you and her would not take any chances and basically through that and with that everyhting would be secure,and with basically no worries.

INS will ask question to both you and her,which will put both you off guard.

Pictures??? u say u will have pics? will you have pictures with you and her and her family and your family toether from the wedding??? wedding invatations? financial affadavits? do you make the amount in a year INS requires for someone to make.
                Will you live under the same roof and prove it?
                same insurance?
                Will you have affadavits from relatives and friends,that swear and attest that your marriage is truly and was truly real for love with good faith?
                Yep all that you will need and more...
                Proof that you guys's relationship and dating period was serious and is serious, meaning...showing and proving how long you have dated,that you guys truly know eachother etc etc.Shpwing proof you guys actually dated and known echother, emails or what not saying "i love you" with dates from a year ago or so, )if you have it) stuff like that means under INS's eyes also questioning your g-f aka wifes family : "when is your wifes mom's bithday? her middle name? her home address? her home phone number? how did you guys meet again...and when was the first time u guys went out...sounds simple? think again...the minute they doubt you,they will seperate you 2 and ask both of you "funny" questions....

Here is the thing, if you already have people on here on this forum doubting your plan, now imagine,how INS will be like...

I am always for a good outcome...but you gotta be fully honest here.

How old is she,where is she from????

Good Luck...My advice do the right thing...meaning if the outcome is not working,you should not be considered by INS as helping fraud aka, marrying someone to gain a greencard through marriage.

But if you do not wanna take a risk...talk with her and ask to do the finace visa.And if either you and her is against that,then its a fact that this marriage is bypassing Immigration Law and doing it just to gain a status ONLY.

Because true loves always waits and has no hurry.And honetsly, you guys or her has no reason,not to go back home first and what not.
                That question will be raised by INS as well

Comment

Sorry, you are not authorized to view this page

Home Page

Immigration Daily

Archives

Processing times

Immigration forms

Discussion board

Resources

Blogs

Twitter feed