Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• few questions regarding immigration law

My girlfriend and I have been together for two years now. She is on a F-1 visas and she graduated last year (May 2006). She was able to obtain a working permit, that will expire in May 2007. Her boss doesn't want to file a working permit for her. Since I am a U.S. citizen I convince her to get married so I can file papers for her. The problems we face are:

1. She lives in NY and I live is boston. Will that cause a problem?

2. We don't want our family to know about the marriage; because we don't want them to think we did it for papers. So, we are just going to City Hall and get married and won't tell any family members. How should we present such case to the immigration interviewer?
    I hope you will be able to answer my questions or point me to the direction where I can get the answers. Thank you very much for your help.

My girlfriend and I have been together for two years now. She is on a F-1 visas and she graduated last year (May 2006). She was able to obtain a working permit, that will expire in May 2007. Her boss doesn't want to file a working permit for her. Since I am a U.S. citizen I convince her to get married so I can file papers for her. The problems we face are:

2. We don't want our family to know about the marriage; because we don't want them to think we did it for papers. So, we are just going to City Hall and get married and won't tell any family members. How should we present such case to the immigration interviewer?
    I hope you will be able to answer my questions or point me to the direction where I can get the answers. Thank you very much for your help.

Comment

it is not fraud. It is just that we both recently graduated from college and we need to attend graduate school. She wants to go to NY and I don't like NY. Beside, she need to spend 2 years in her profession in NY to obtain her archicheture license. We were hoping her job would buy us time to complete our dream. But it seems the only thing to do now is to marry her so she can stay in the states. Do you have any other options.

Comment

To be honest with you, we want to get married but not so soon. So will that be fraud if we get married to buy us time.

Comment

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Dr. Lavoisier:
          it is not fraud. It is just that we both recently graduated from college and we need to attend graduate school. She wants to go to NY and I don't like NY. Beside, she need to spend 2 years in her profession in NY to obtain her archicheture license. We were hoping her job would buy us time to complete our dream. But it seems the only thing to do now is to marry her so she can stay in the states. Do you have any other options. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Please just admit it. You just can not stand to be around Yankee fans. We are not that bad
          An we win, a lot, on top of that. Go Yankeeeees!

Comment

I hate the Yankees with passion and I think people in NY are rude.

Comment

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Dr. Lavoisier:
              I hate the Yankees with passion and I think people in NY are rude. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Same goes for Red Sox Can not wait to see repeat of Boston Massacre! Let's go Yankees!

Comment

I hope you will be able to answer my questions or point me to the direction where I can get the answers. Thank you very much for your help. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
                Difficult situation, but not an impossible one. I think there may be cultural constraints with your family. If you do marry though and both of you are living at different addresses, you must establish that the main reason was economic and not any other reason. You may want to consider that if the two of you marry, how would you support her and you? This would include the financing need or required for graduate school. Furthermore, you may need to establish that your prospective residences and degree programs would be in conflict if either of you moved to the other city to be with your spouse. Hope this helps given with the limited info given.
                "Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passion, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence." John Adams on Defense of the boston Massacre

Comment

I hate the Yankees with passion and I think people in NY are rude. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
                  I hate the Yankees myself, but I also hate baseball with a passion too.
                  "Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passion, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence." John Adams on Defense of the boston Massacre

Comment

Two tickets to the Yankees game: $160.00
                    One bottle of Coors Lite: $8.75 (can not drink that. I like much stronger beer.)
                    One hot dog: $5.50

Fifty five thousand fans, on the weekday night,
                    witness Derek Jeter, Bernie Williams, A Rod and Mo Riviera play - PRICELESS!

Best show on earth!

Comment

I think you both are not in true love with each other. If you love some one you care for him/her and live together. So do not jeoperdize your future specially her future. Either get married in reality else forget it.

Comment

There is no love involved....
                        otherwise, your so called "g-f" would make sure she goes home and visits her family and friends,makes sure she gets everyhting she needs together...applies for fiance visa etc and then comes here as anyone who is in love...

Man when my wife and decided to get married after 4 years of dating...how I spent almost 17 months back in europe,to get everyhting together,safe money,get all the paper work...say good bye to friends etc etc....

but your g-f is in the us as a student...she just wants to stay here and work??? getting married is not that easy...and either way,she will have to go back home anyway, at least in most cases....

you truly love her and want the best outcome???
                        tell her to go gome after she graduated...safe mone and come here,get married and live happily...

unless you just wanna admit you wanna do fraud?

who else gets married and does not wanna let any family member know about it???
                        INS will find stuff like that out and not to mention you guys won't be even living together after marriage if that would happen..and if it comes out fraud and all that,you will be liable as well and its a felony my friend.
                        Immigration law is veru very complex,don't mess with it.

Comment

my question is..
                          i have been in the u.s. for 18 years.
                          i came here on a tourist visa, had it expired and never left. i have been working though all this time and paying taxes. can i adjust my status to legal? thanks very much for any input.

Comment

I was in a similar situation. You can adjust, but you have to have some benefit/provision to hold on to. I wasn't able (no matter how much I wanted) to come forward for many years, because the immigration law just didn't provide relief for my situation. I have two American born children, one of which is now 21 and was able to file an I-130.

The immigration law can really screw up someone's life.
                            “...I may condemn what you say, but I will give my life for that you may say it”! - Voltaire

Comment

If you came here as a tourist and you have never left,since u came as a tourist...you are not only illegal here,but once you are cought,my friend have god have mercy lol...
                              for you there will be NO way to adjust...
                              just keep your fingers cross,because you know one way or the other,highway or hot water..you'll be cought.Cause eitherway,there will be a situation,where you have to leave or contact ins or someonthing..or your employer will ask for a work permit etc...

Comment

Sorry, you are not authorized to view this page

Home Page

Immigration Daily

Archives

Processing times

Immigration forms

Discussion board

Resources

Blogs

Twitter feed

Immigrant Nation